Thread: PCV system. The CCV is integrated in Valve Cover $$, Can it be cleaned if clogged ?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30

PCV system. The CCV is integrated in Valve Cover $$, Can it be cleaned if clogged ?

in 2009 E90 engine N52B30A non turbo, in the PCV (Positive CrankCase Ventilation) system, the CCV (CrankCase Valve) is integrated within the Valve Cover, wich is expensive.

Does anybody has tried unclogging the valve to avoid buying the complete Valve Cover?
    Any information on the location of the electric heater of the Valve (to avoid the valve stuck / freezing in winter).
    What is the specific malfunction why BMW is recalling this heater?
    Does anybody could help with the the part number?

Thank you

October 30, 2017 | Recall Campaign No. 17V-683

POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION (PCV) VALVE HEATER
    Last Updated: December 4, 2017
    DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM
    This recall involves an engine component known as the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve heater. The PCV valve heater may not have been produced to specifications. Over time, it could deteriorate and, in rare cases, could lead to overheating.
    SAFETY RISK
    If overheating occurs, then in rare cases, this could lead to melting of the PCV valve. In extremely rare cases, this could lead to a fire.
    DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR
    The remedy is not available yet. The PCV valve heater will be inspected and a new part will be installed. If necessary, additional components will be replaced as determined at the time of repair.
    For additional information or assistance, please contact Customer Relations and Services at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com or at 1-800-525-7417.
    Last edited by Rlequerica; 12-05-2017 at 04:06 AM.
    Rod Lequerica. - Miami FL
    2009 BMW 328i E90 LCI Sedan Type PH77
    Engine: 6cyl 3lt N52B30A - Auto Trans: GM GA6L45R
    VIN WBAPH775X9NM Plus 5 last serial numbers
    EL_LEQUE_DELAE@YAHOO.COM
    +1 (786) 239 1329)

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    The PCV heater is part number 11618638014. ETK isn't clear on the location, but it should be in close proximity to the valve cover and intake manifold. It's a 90 degree fitting with power going to it. It's not clear exactly how it overheats, perhaps the resistance is too low and it pulls too much power as insulation inside it breaks down.
    As far as unclogging the valve cover, good luck. I would probably try solvents and compressed air.

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlequerica View Post
    in 2009 E90 engine N52B30A non turbo, in the PCV (Positive CrankCase Ventilation) system, the CCV (CrankCase Valve) is integrated within the Valve Cover, wich is expensive.

Does anybody has tried unclogging the valve to avoid buying the complete Valve Cover?
    Any information on the location of the electric heater of the Valve (to avoid the valve stuck / freezing in winter).
    What is the specific malfunction why BMW is recalling this heater?
    Does anybody could help with the the part number?

Thank you

The PCV heater is fitted to the lower part on the intake, it must be removed for replacement.

The CCV in the valve cover cannot be cleaned has it does not get clogged, it has a rubber diaphragm that splits. There is an intrusive repair kit available on ebay for those that are handy.

Mark.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30
    Thanks guys for your support.

I did the intrusive repair, purchased a valve in eBay, removed the old valve; they are not identical, the new valve has a smaller diafragma, so the exact regulation of the diaphragm vs the steel spring will be affected.

The valve definitely cannot bebstick due to the construction, it just splits, making the PCV system malfunction.

I will post pictures, and monitor if I will have to replace the complete valve cover in future.
    What will be the signals? Computer detected leak? Or oxigeno sensors?

I disconnected the PCV. valve heater, meanwhile BMW USA finds a solution against burning according to the recall.
    What would be the consequences of not having a pcv valve heater in the warm weather of Florida?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30
    I am owing you a drawing of my findings on how exactly the PCV valve works; the interaction of Diaphragm vs Spring.
    Plus the interaction between pressures, vaccum on intake, and positive pressure from de CamsCase, or CamsShaft Case ( I don’t know how to call/name the the ompartment that contains the cams, the cams shaft, the eccentric shaft, the timing chain, the vanos, the Eccentric shaft position sensor)
    Rod Lequerica. - Miami FL
    2009 BMW 328i E90 LCI Sedan Type PH77
    Engine: 6cyl 3lt N52B30A - Auto Trans: GM GA6L45R
    VIN WBAPH775X9NM Plus 5 last serial numbers
    EL_LEQUE_DELAE@YAHOO.COM
    +1 (786) 239 1329)

My Cars
    bmw x5
    i buy ebay ccv crankcase 15$ and change is very easy https://www.ebay.com/i/273321115746?chn=ps look a video thank you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkYAZS3lq4Y&t=177s