Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2002 540i Oil Separator? CCV? help with cloud of smoke issue. Video

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt

2002 540i Oil Separator? CCV? help with cloud of smoke issue. Video

Well I`m having this issue with my 2002 540i, M62B44Tu. Theres a hefty amount of smoke coming from the exhaust, almost like it keeps saving itself there only to be released when I start the engine. Here are a few patterns that I`ve noticed on this issue.

1. It appears to happen more after a good drive and an overnight rest. The next start up will cause a lot of smoke.
    2. After the car is running, very little to no smoke appears while driving or idling.
    3. If I drive it for like 20-30 minutes, then leave it to rest for a couple of hours it will cause a good amount of smoke.
    4. Lets say I drive hard, let it rest overnight and start it the next day and let all the smoke come out and immediately turn it off. The next start will have little to no smoke at all.

5. Once I let the car rest for a week and when I turn it on there was no smoke.

6. Right now No Cel lights, No codes. Brand new Genuine CCV unit (the one that goes on the rear of the manifold), brand new spark plugs (which fixed a rough idling, rough running and misfire)

7. Valve Cover Gaskets seems fine, HOWEVER theres a major leak somewhere that leave several drops of engine oil on the floor in a matter of minutes while and after running. (car is in the shop right now to find that leak)

8. Cars runs perfectly Fine and Pulls strong, good cold start with very little to no roughness, decent MPG (for brazillian gas). While engaged it idles at 550-650rpm, while in neutral it idles at 800-850rpm, in operating temp. Car Temp is fine.

9. The smoke is Really White, but it smells like burning oil, I haven`t noticed any other color tones to it. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by FredRC; 12-05-2017 at 12:16 PM.

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Anyone has any idea on what might be ?

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    You have a textbook example of bad valve stem seals.
    But it's a BMW so it could be more.
    You didn't state mileage on the car but but i have seen more problems on low mileage cars than high.
    Neutral idle is high but you may not have turned A/C off.
    Motor treatments may soften seals.
    Ac on or off the idle goes to 800-850 when in Operating Temperatura and in Neutral.

Cars is 118.000 Kilometers, around 73.000 miles, I`ll add that.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    +1 on valve stem seals. What's odd is these motors typically don't get valve stem seal failures.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    If it was Valve Seals shouldn`t it be smoking all the time while running?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Not always. When the car sits, the oil runs down the valve stems and smokes on startup. Google it.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    too many
    I have the same issue, only happens intermittently. Seems like it depends on my driving pattern, but even then it's hit or miss. Sometimes i'll drive it, let it rest for an hour and nothing.... other times, it'll make a huge cloud upon start.

I've replaced CCV and that did not help.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I'd do the CCV first, easy and cheap.
    540's usually don't have bad valve guide seals.

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle540 View Post
    I have the same issue, only happens intermittently. Seems like it depends on my driving pattern, but even then it's hit or miss. Sometimes i'll drive it, let it rest for an hour and nothing.... other times, it'll make a huge cloud upon start.

I've replaced CCV and that did not help.
    yeah, kinda of the same issue. I replaced the CCV as well.

"Not always. When the car sits, the oil runs down the valve stems and smokes on startup. Google it."
    I`ll ask for the mechanic to take a look, seems like a big expensive job where I should tackle other things while at it.

"I'd do the CCV first, easy and cheap.
    540's usually don't have bad valve guide seals."

CCV is brand new, didn`t change the hoses or oil separator thought.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Well if you've already changed the CCV then it ain't your lucky day, unless it was some cheapo CCV.
    To do the valve guide seals the cams need to be pulled, the lifters removed, and the valve springs removed.
    Much bigger job than doing the timing chain guides......but "while your in there" might as well do them too!
    Let us know if the shop finds some other reason it's smoking.

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Uptades, came back from the meachanic, Oil Separator was clogged spilling oil all over the upper part of the engine, intake manifold had a decent amount of oil in it and seals are shot. A few other O-Rings are shot and the new CCV wasn`t installed properly, Valve cover gaskets are good.
    The crankshaft seal is shot and is causing a major oil leak.

I`ll update as it goes for future reference, anyone who wants to chime in, feel welcome.

24825922_1649254111801891_1049123372_o.jpg24818931_1649254005135235_631488324_o.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    That motor is neglected. Roll the dice....

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Yeah, I`ll ask him to check Valve seals as well, this mechanic has pretty good experience with the M62 line and has been working on them forever. He is pretty optmistic, more than I am at least. Comparing to the spotless engine I had on my 530i, that kinda bummed me out a little bit. Don`t know what else has been neglected, previous owner didn`t ride it a lot, but didn`t spare funds to keep it. Gasoline in Brazil isn`t the best and we have 25-27% of Ethanol in it. Anyway, let hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    That looks pretty bad, wish you luck.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Uggh.

Normally I'd say (and was about to say until I saw the pix...) "Oil seperator wasn't clogged, that's basically impossible and an M62 old wives tale. Very possibly the tube to it is cracked so its no longer functioning, but it doesn't clog, you'd have to stuff a couple dead rats into one with a wooden spoon to clog it."

But... then... good lord whats happened to that motor and what is that awful sludge in there!? OK so in this case, yes maybe indeed it COULD clog the OSV. Honestly that's a disaster, looks like somebody never changed the oil and perhaps used some awful cheap oil when they did, maybe ran it low on oil as well. I can't imagine the VANOS was running properly in that thing either but hey - maybe all that sludge actually helps seal up the aging VANOS seals ? Silver lining!

I would not keep a car with a motor like that in it, it'd either come out for full cleaning/rebuild, or, more likely, I'd replace it with something starting on firmer footing.

This appears to be, by the way, a vivid illustration of low-miles-cars-aren't-always-the-best syndrome... WHEN the low miles car belonged to some skinflint-geezer/flakey-chick/soccer-mom/otherwise-general-dingbat who refused to do a lick of maintenance, and "only drove the car 5 miles to store/nephews/work/church-once-a-week/whatever", in the process never properly warming the thing up.

That very well could be the same oil that was put in the car from Germany, only topped off with the cheapest option from the gas station when the cluster started screaming about it every once in a while.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Uggh.

Normally I'd say (and was about to say until I saw the pix...) "Oil seperator wasn't clogged, that's basically impossible and an M62 old wives tale. Very possibly the tube to it is cracked so its no longer functioning, but it doesn't clog, you'd have to stuff a couple dead rats into one with a wooden spoon to clog it."

But... then... good lord whats happened to that motor and what is that awful sludge in there!? OK so in this case, yes maybe indeed it COULD clog the OSV. Honestly that's a disaster, looks like somebody never changed the oil and perhaps used some awful cheap oil when they did, maybe ran it low on oil as well. I can't imagine the VANOS was running properly in that thing either but hey - maybe all that sludge actually helps seal up the aging VANOS seals ? Silver lining!

I would not keep a car with a motor like that in it, it'd either come out for full cleaning/rebuild, or, more likely, I'd replace it with something starting on firmer footing.

This appears to be, by the way, a vivid illustration of low-miles-cars-aren't-always-the-best syndrome... WHEN the low miles car belonged to some skinflint-geezer/flakey-chick/soccer-mom/otherwise-general-dingbat who refused to do a lick of maintenance, and "only drove the car 5 miles to store/nephews/work/church-once-a-week/whatever", in the process never properly warming the thing up.

That very well could be the same oil that was put in the car from Germany, only topped off with the cheapest option from the gas station when the cluster started screaming about it every once in a while.
    Yeah, I understand you point. There was no physical damage to the engine apparently, was running smooth, pulling strong and everything inside seems in order, mechanic still working on it and may still find something but yeah, silver lining so far.

One point you guys need to understand is that this is not uncommon at all in BRAZIL, even in cars with proper fluid change. Our gasoline is one of the dirtiest in the world and we have nowhere to run. In his shop there are literally 2014 cars that look worst than this, an X6M included, fully maintened. To be fair I think that sludge removal is the specialty of Brazillian mechanics.

My point is, theres nothing much I can do other than try to fix this, pretty much any other 540i I purchase will look like that, give or take (unless of course I had personally tracked the car from the begining of its life, as I did to my 530i). I don`t intend to keep it forever, got it for a good price, which leaves a little bit of room to play with. Engine Swap is to expensive, not a lot of this engines available. Rebuild is last case scenario.

Anyway, won`t change the harm that all the sludge may have done, but so you guys can have a different perspective.

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    Your going to have to explain this to me. I've never heard of such things. Carbon buildup in the combustion chamber from lack of additives, maybe.
    Even high alcohol content gasoline shouldn't effect the oil system.
    Unless the underlying problem is traffic so bad, no car gets worked or hot enough to drive moisture from the oil.

Wish I could explain in details, but I speak more of common sense around here. I speak more of experience than actually knowledge from my part, what I usually hear is that all the dirty residues from the Gas combustion tend to contaminate the Oil and change its properties, also you are right, Brazillian traffic is pretty jammed with cars rarely going beyond 80km/h. Will try to learn about it in details and post here.
    Last edited by FredRC; 12-08-2017 at 08:45 PM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I could see that (combustion products in the oil) somewhat... but to the degree that engine shows? I wonder if poor oil quality is a contributor too, is the only oil available of questionable content also?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Little update, upper and lower oil pan dissassembled, also many parts are going for a professional cleanup of all the gunk, oil separator return line was heavilly clogged. Sludge everywhere as expected. Also engine mounts are shot. Gonna post pictures after the cleaning, wish me luck. Attachment 617165Attachment 617166Attachment 617167Attachment 617168Attachment 617169On a happy note, had a lot of fun watching the helpers trying to remove the Crankshaft bolt. that thing is hilariously tightened.
    Last edited by FredRC; 12-07-2017 at 02:04 AM.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Your pics need to be either hosted from another site using the URL for the pic or attached directly from your computer.
    Also make sure you flush out the insides of the vanos solenoids, the check valves behind them, the small oriface behind the fat green o-ring on the pass side of the block that feeds oil to the tensioner, and both cam to cam tensioners.They have small nozzles that squirt oil on the chains.

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Your pics need to be either hosted from another site using the URL for the pic or attached directly from your computer.
    Also make sure you flush out the insides of the vanos solenoids, the check valves behind them, the small oriface behind the fat green o-ring on the pass side of the block that feeds oil to the tensioner, and both cam to cam tensioners.They have small nozzles that squirt oil on the chains.
    I`ve attached them directly, uploaded them from my PC. The Forum has been behaving strangely this day, perhaps the Chrome Browser.

WhatsApp Image 2017-12-07 at 04.43.45 (3).jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-12-07 at 04.43.44 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-12-07 at 04.43.46.jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-12-07 at 04.43.45 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-12-07 at 04.43.45 (1).jpeg

Will ask the mechanic to check all the things you mentioned, thanks.

One more thing, is it safe to chemically wash the Timing Chain guides? Considering they are plastic ?

My Cars
    2003 540i6 M-Sport
    Just replace the timing chain guides while you're in there. You are at that point. Don't put them back in because you will be in there again in 30k miles anyways.

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Quote Originally Posted by 777300ER View Post
    Just replace the timing chain guides while you're in there. You are at that point. Don't put them back in because you will be in there again in 30k miles anyways.
    don`t have them, need to import from the US with a 30 day minimum to arrive

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Order them, you'll be sorry if you don't replace them.
    It's probably going to take 30 days to clean that engine.
    I'd pull the engine to clean up the lower end, it must be in the same condition.
    Also, see the flat metal strips on top of the cam caps? They have a channel in the middle of them that is the oil path to lube the cams.

My Cars
    540i/AT 03/2002 ExclEdt
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Order them, you'll be sorry if you don't replace them.
    It's probably going to take 30 days to clean that engine.
    I'd pull the engine to clean up the lower end, it must be in the same condition.
    Also, see the flat metal strips on top of the cam caps? They have a channel in the middle of them that is the oil path to lube the cams.
    Will consider, he doesn't charge much to change time chain guides tough, will have to think this through...

As for the metal strips, you mean those silver ones that looks like they are grounding something? So I need to remove the bolts and clean inside too. Think I'll go there tomorrow, any angle you guys would like to see pictures of?

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast