Thread: BMW X3 E83 LED Tail light / Rear Light repair.

My Cars
    5series M62B44

BMW X3 E83 LED Tail light / Rear Light repair.

Hi all,

Other day I noticed the LED bars on my back right tail light were not working, after pricing up replacements I thought I would introduce it to Mr.Dremel.

The two side marker LED's still worked but the bars did not, I reverse engineered the PCB and did some testing.

It appears the 2 side marker LED's are ran from a vehicle 12/14v > 12v Regulator > 560ohm resistor > 2x Side marker LED's in Series.

The 3 BAR/Parking light LED's run in series as well but differently. They are 12/14v > 12v Regulator > Generic 4001 constant current LED driver > 3x LED's in series.

Then there are some caps and a schottky diode for the current sense for the LCM/Bulb out error.

Managed to kill one of the side marker LED's during testing as I discovered the fault being the first LED in the series that make up the 3 Parking Light Bars.

Ended up replacing the 4001 LED Driver. (It popped the 2 side marker LED's after I moved them)

Then replaced both side marker LED's with 3mm 7600mcd RED with clear lens LED's.

As well as also replaced the first LED in the series for the light bars with a 5mm 9600mcd RED with clear lens

Here are some photos I put together, I can't include the 6th photo of the cut/plastic welding it back together due to 5picture per post limit.

Photos:
    Photo1: PCB Diagram I put together.
    x3 light01.jpg

Photo2: Top of PCB with original LED's
    Old.jpg

Photo3: Top of PCB with new side marker 3mm & top LED bar 5mm installed.
    New00.jpg

Photo4: Powered up & working with the new 4001 driver also soldered on.
    New01.jpg

Photo5: Tail light back together and working as intended.
    Working01.jpg

Cheers
    Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhawk
    I know first hand that owning a bmw isnt what made hozy the way he is, its just his charm
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    HoZY is good guy and has proven it many times by being a longtime participant in this community.

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    I had to do this on my brothers e39 Celis lights. I’ll have to keep this handy good info thank you !
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    2006 X3
    Thanks Hozy,

I had the same issue as you, but was doing the job for a friend. He advised that all the LEDs were broken so i assumed it was the driver. After replacing the driver i found that only the 2 centre LEDS came on and not the light bar LEDs. It turned out that was the original problem not the whole light :|

So after a quick look I saw that the 1st LED in the series of 3 looked a little brown so replaced it and boom, all 3 started working. So my issue was one dead LED causing the light bars not to work. The LED on the end closest to the 4001 driver. Was a $4 fix vs $900 from BMW.

My Cars
    BMW E83 LCI
    Hey, great post - and really helps with my issue too, I'm just ordering some replacement LED's and driver so I only need to make the change once - do you have a link to the LED's you got, I'm working up an order on farnell and want to make sure I'm ordering similar spec

My Cars
    1989 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by HoZy View Post
    Hi all,

Other day I noticed the LED bars on my back right tail light were not working, after pricing up replacements I thought I would introduce it to Mr.Dremel.

The two side marker LED's still worked but the bars did not, I reverse engineered the PCB and did some testing.

It appears the 2 side marker LED's are ran from a vehicle 12/14v > 12v Regulator > 560ohm resistor > 2x Side marker LED's in Series.

The 3 BAR/Parking light LED's run in series as well but differently. They are 12/14v > 12v Regulator > Generic 4001 constant current LED driver > 3x LED's in series.

Then there are some caps and a schottky diode for the current sense for the LCM/Bulb out error.

Managed to kill one of the side marker LED's during testing as I discovered the fault being the first LED in the series that make up the 3 Parking Light Bars.

Ended up replacing the 4001 LED Driver. (It popped the 2 side marker LED's after I moved them)

Then replaced both side marker LED's with 3mm 7600mcd RED with clear lens LED's.

As well as also replaced the first LED in the series for the light bars with a 5mm 9600mcd RED with clear lens

Here are some photos I put together, I can't include the 6th photo of the cut/plastic welding it back together due to 5picture per post limit.

Photos:
    x3 light01.jpg

Old.jpg

New00.jpg

New01.jpg

Working01.jpg

Cheers
    Mat

How i can access that pcb board? i need to brake something in the back of the tail light?

My Cars
    X3 E83
    Yep you need to cut open the abs plastic behind the 2 side marker leds on the tail light. A dremel is probably the tidiest way to achieve it. I have just gained access to the pcb board and yet to replace the failed led on my X3. I found that it was the first led that failed in the series, confirmed by shorting accross the pins of the first led which caused the 2 remaining leds to light up. Will pick up the led suggested from hozy from local electronic geek store tomorrow. Thanks again for your original post hozy, - saved me a bundle of cash!

My Cars
    X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina325ix View Post
    How i can access that pcb board? i need to brake something in the back of the tail light?
    a better photo, couldnt find my dremmel so used a multitool, worked just as well. Shows clearly where the PCB is. Unfortunately must have caught the LED on the way out and lifted the solder pad off the PCB. In the process of a make shift job but I reckon it may be something else causing the fault.IMG_20190416_165325.jpgIMG_20190416_165329.jpg

My Cars
    X3
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the OP. I searched far and wide to get end up with this thread. No one else had taken the time to document so it was very much appreciated. I was in the same situation with the first LED failed. Was a bit of a faff to swap and fiddly as electronics not my thing. However I got there in the end. Also thanks to the person who suggested shorting the LED to see which one was faulty.

Saved a fortune as these parts get more difficult to get hold of.

Cheers.

My Cars
    E83
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulc1976 View Post
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks to the OP. I searched far and wide to get end up with this thread. No one else had taken the time to document so it was very much appreciated. I was in the same situation with the first LED failed. Was a bit of a faff to swap and fiddly as electronics not my thing. However I got there in the end. Also thanks to the person who suggested shorting the LED to see which one was faulty.

Saved a fortune as these parts get more difficult to get hold of.

Cheers.
    Anyone attempt the LED on the tailgate? Mine is starting to flicker or sometimes not work.

My Cars
    BMW X5

Where to buy drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by HoZy View Post
    Hi all,

Photos:
    x3 light01.jpg

Old.jpg

New00.jpg

New01.jpg

Working01.jpg

Cheers
    Mat

Where to buy drivers?
    Any online site?

Thanks

My Cars
    BMW
    you can buy repair pcb board here https://xenons4u.co.uk/bmw-x3-f25-le...-b0038092.html will save you guys a fortune!

My Cars
    BMW E83 LCI
    That's for the f25 not the e83 they are different pcbs.

My Cars
    x3
    did you have any luck on the tailgate? mind is out, does not look like i can use this process.

My Cars
    '98 328is, '07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBud View Post
    did you have any luck on the tailgate? mind is out, does not look like i can use this process.
    Would like to know this as well