Thread: experience with monoball front control arm bushings

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5

experience with monoball front control arm bushings

Has anyone used the Turner monoball front control arm bushings on an E36? If so, do they improve steering feel, how is the reliability, and how bad is the increase in NVH? My car is primarily a street driven car, and I am trying to decide if the benefits of this product outweigh the cons.

In specific, here are the parts I am referring to. I have no affiliation with ECS tuning.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...t/019891tms~a/
    Last edited by 123bmwm3; 12-05-2017 at 03:11 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bmwm3 View Post
    Has anyone used monoball front control arm bushings on an E36? If so, does it improve steering feel, how is the reliability, and how much does it increase NVH for a street driven car?

In specific, here are the parts I am referring to. I have no affiliation with ECS tuning.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...t/019891tms~a/
    I have a suspension rebuild coming up this winter and I was also looking at these. It seems like the serviceability is a nice feature. They claim minimal increase in NVH. Hopefully someone has some experience with them

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    These are similar to the old "treehouse racing" lolipops that used to be available. From people I've talked to and accounts I've read when researching, they will absolutely be a step above stiff poly in terms of NVH. These are a metal bearing surrounded by delrin. There's not really any give/deflection as there is in rubber or even poly. Everything is going to be transmitted from the control arm straight into the chassis.

Personally, I briefly considered these or something similar for my upcoming suspension bushing refresh but decided to just go with 95A poly instead. Unless someone else has a different experience, I'd suggest caution if you're considering these for a car you regularly drive on the street. If it's a track toy by all means go at it, because racecar.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have been using the slr eyeballs on the street for the past year. The are bearing bushings that don’t even articulate. Have also run Delrin and poly. You will hear a light bang occasionally on rough roads or over railroad tracks as the sudden change in surface is transmitted rather than absorbed. Poly is much more forgiving. But I have not tried the articulating bearing bushing — it’s ability to move should help.

My Cars
    BMW
    You get a TON more feedback and road feel with them vs stock bushings but I wouldn't consider it an overbearing NVH increase for daily driving use. Now devils advocate my personal daily driver I'm not running them, I'm running boring old stock bushings (well new as I just replaced them), I went that path as comfort is my core concern with the daily driver/family hauler, not feedback and the like. On my toy/track/etc car I'll be running them once I overhaul the suspension in a few week, going from poly to these monoballs to maximise feedback.

-James