RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Click in steering when turning from center

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan

Click in steering when turning from center

Only happens when car is running and I turn the wheel from close to centered(wheels straight) if I turn wheel left or right it clicks then smooth when turning until I bring it back straight then clicks when turned right. The click is like something has play or loose then catches and becomes smooth the rest of the turn. Every part of suspension is new and this was only slightly noticeable before today then all of a sudden it’s very noticeable. It’s strange I can’t feel it when turning wheel with car off. Could it be in steering rack or steering shaft?
    I’d like someone who’s fixed this before to chime in. Thank you.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4bama View Post
    Only happens when car is running and I turn the wheel from close to centered(wheels straight) if I turn wheel left or right it clicks then smooth when turning until I bring it back straight then clicks when turned right. The click is like something has play or loose then catches and becomes smooth the rest of the turn. Every part of suspension is new and this was only slightly noticeable before today then all of a sudden it’s very noticeable. It’s strange I can’t feel it when turning wheel with car off. Could it be in steering rack or steering shaft?
    I’d like someone who’s fixed this before to chime in. Thank you.
    There is a universal joint in the steering shaft. When they fail they exhibit symptoms as you describe, you'll feel a "catch" every 90* of rotation.
    Look for signs of brown residue at the joint where the cross enters the caps.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    There is a universal joint in the steering shaft. When they fail they exhibit symptoms as you describe, you'll feel a "catch" every 90* of rotation.
    Look for signs of brown residue at the joint where the cross enters the caps.
    thanks, i'll look into this.. i've read about the steering quibo, but since the shaft above and below seem to have so slack when turning shaft i don't suspect it's the quibo.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    actually i don't exhibit any catch every 90 degree rotation, rather, initial pop turning either direction from center then smooth all the way to lock. i just put the turner sway bar on then did a track day so maybe it's a loose sway bar end link or something simple. but this pop was already there before the new swaybar, only much less.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4bama View Post
    actually i don't exhibit any catch every 90 degree rotation, rather, initial pop turning either direction from center then smooth all the way to lock. i just put the turner sway bar on then did a track day so maybe it's a loose sway bar end link or something simple. but this pop was already there before the new swaybar, only much less.
    Doesn't sound like what I suggested then.
    Tie rods, ball joints, strut mounts come to mind at this point. I'd not be tracking car with suspicious suspension or steering noises.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Doesn't sound like what I suggested then.
    Tie rods, ball joints, strut mounts come to mind at this point. I'd not be tracking car with suspicious suspension or steering noises.
    entire new suspension was installed a couple years ago, has about 10k on it. i'll go around and check for loose connections/bolts/nuts, but i'm leaning toward it being a rack issue, unfortunately, but i'd rather it be something easy to fix. thanks for your input!
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hi Ben,
    You're probably going to need an extra person, to turn the steering wheel, while you crawl underneath and grab various parts/

Is the click at the steering wheel end of things, or is it outside the cabin?

This could be something in the turn-signal cancelling, or it could be a rack issue, or it could be, maybe, strut bearings, or maybe the rack bolts aren't tight?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Hi Ben,
    You're probably going to need an extra person, to turn the steering wheel, while you crawl underneath and grab various parts/

Is the click at the steering wheel end of things, or is it outside the cabin?

This could be something in the turn-signal cancelling, or it could be a rack issue, or it could be, maybe, strut bearings, or maybe the rack bolts aren't tight?
    Hi, Chris, i was hoping you'd reply. i've had someone turn the wheel while i was under car touching everything and it's most pronounced when holding tie rods on both sides (coming out the rack) and can feel the pop touching outside of front wheels.
    it pops like a ball joint or tie rod joint is bad, however, these have only 10k on them and it does it on both tie rods so it seems like it's something in the rack to only do it with the pump running (car on) and both tie rods.
    the steering wheel feeling is more like a binding or catch or resistance then break free when either turning left or right from center or when crossing center. it's not as hard a pop feel in the steering wheel like it feels in the tie rods or road wheels. it's similar to when I use a flexible (u-joint like) socket swivel and you're turning it at an angle and you get to that part in the turn where it binds a little then gives and spins around until it binds again. The difference with this issue is it only binds or get a little resistance crossing center or from center, and once you get passed the binding it's fine until full lock and back until it crosses center again.

So, it only does it when car is running, wheels on ground (load), and from center or crossing center, and felt on both sides of suspension.
    i found this thread from a long time ago that sounds most similar to my symptoms and IM'd him but haven't heard anything from him. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13395

i've narrowed culprits to steering column u-joint, that flex disk, or rack. i'm leaning toward rack because i've heard the u-joint issue would pop every 90 degrees turn and mine only pops once, plus when i've put my stethoscope on the u-joint on both my e36s it feels the same.

what's so special about the steering wheel in the center position that when turning it would pop only from center or crossing center?
    Last edited by ben4bama; 12-07-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Turn signal cancelling occurs to me.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    what turn signal cancelling parts am i looking for?
    something in steering column ?
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I guess it would be worth pulling the steering wheel and removing the turn signal stalk. AKA :combination switch

Tried to look it up for you, but Alldata has been non functional all day

Does the click still happen with turn signal unit not touching the column?

You might just be able to drop the turn signal switch without removing the whee, but I doubt it.

Easy enough to remove the wheel. Except that it might be 2 xT30 screws, or it might be weird little lever springs.

Can you audibly identify the location of the Click?

I'm on a hunting expedition here, by the way.... I've got a click, but I have really bad hearing, because I've raced mid-engined cars a long time ago, listened to loud music, and I shoot big pistols at tin cans, too. (Disclaimer: I do not carry a weapon, nor would I kill any animal. (Not even him.)

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412