Thread: Transmission

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330 Vert

Transmission

Greetings! I know there have been many threads about transmission issues. I have an 04 330 CI with about 198K on the clock. I had a transmission service earlier this year and now if the car sits a few days without being driven, on the 1st drive of the day the car has to rev hard to back up and it revs hard in 1st gear but its only the initial start of the day. When the car is warm no problem. About the time I noticed this I also starting hearing a humming noise as I drive and the temperature display that shows outside temp starts to rise when I'm stop and go driving but on the highway it returns to normal. With the transmission doing what it's doing, are these signs that its about to fail? Any idea what the humming noise might be, I almost believe it's a pulley or belt.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What shop serviced the tranny? Did the shop follow the specific process to ensure that the correct amount of tranny fluid was added to the tranny? Does the tranny have a smooth bottomed fluid pan or is the pan ribbed. I ask as BMW sourced trannies from GM of France and ZF of Germany. The GM tranny has the smooth bottomed pan. They take different fluids. I recommend that you go back to the shop and ask them to check the fluid level. Also, one of the trannies needs a software update to address this problem. I drive a stick. Always have, always will.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Definitely check fluid level. Pay attention to the temperature range on the label for the fluid level. It's not supposed to be hot. It must be done with the car level. Fluid should dribble out of the fill plug hole with the engine running. Search for the procedure if you are not familiar with it. 200k is a respectable milage for either zf 5hp19 or gm 5l40 transmission. If the fluid level is ok, you can try to reset adaptations but it probably is time for a rebuild or replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk