Thread: Convertible Problems *PLEASE HELP*

My Cars
    1999 M3

Question Convertible Problems *PLEASE HELP*

The vert top stopped working a few months ago, I used it manually until I could store it for the winter. All I remember was that the top worked normally until it got to the part where the rear window potion goes up and the tonneau cover opens for the top to drop into. I pulled the lever so I could put it in manually. Couldn't get the tonneau cover to close so I just drove around with it open a little with the motors engaged so it wouldn't fly up.

*I will say that when it happened I tried opening the trunk, it made a weird noise (the trunk lock actuator not allowing me in) and then it stopped and let me open. I checked and the actuator no longer works so I think I burnt it out or something. Will the actuator stop the system from working?* Also The red light doesn't blink anymore on the switch.

Now I am taking the car apart to start the restoration and I am able to get more in depth with the repair.

Things I've Done so Far::

I've tried the resync and nothing happens

Checked around for frayed wires the best I can

Replaced Switch

Replaced Control Module

Replaced Fuses

Any help would be greatly appreciated and even rewarded if it leads to a fix to the problem.
    Last edited by WiEstorilM3; 12-04-2017 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    Is this the same OP/question as WiEstriolM3 (slightly different spelling) that I responded to last August???
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rical-Problems

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Yes it’s me! I fixed the name haha, made the last account in a rush so I started fresh today after kind of forgetting about the site. I’m still having the same problems, replaced the things I listed in the post but still no luck.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic
    I would check the trunk switch first, easy check. Then I would remove the trunk carpet and really check the top cover motor connections. You should make sure that the microswitches do in fact work! I guess the hall effect sensor could be at fault in the motor but I somewhat doubt it. There are numerous diagnostic threads for the vert for download on this forum. If you can't find them let me know and I'll email them to you. I had just about everything wrong with mine so I've had to go through it all!

Don B.