Thread: Bought new Used 97 M3 - Keys arent matching.

My Cars
    E46 M3 , E34 525iT

Bought new Used 97 M3 - Keys arent matching.

So I purchased an 1997 M3 Sedan over the weekend. And the door keys, ignition, and the Trunk release key doesnt match.
    What is the best way handle this? Can I just go to my dealership the original key my VIN is assigned to and Tumbler/cylinder?
    If i swap out the ignition cylinder/tumber, does it affect the EWS? Does anything need to be reprogramed?
    Last edited by dunkman23; 12-04-2017 at 01:40 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3

Typically, a copy of registration (in your name) and a copy of drivers license is required to purchase keys/tumbler. Door and trunk lock can be re-keyed with a tumbler repair kit.
    If the current ignition key is not for your VIN, there may be a larger issue with EWS/ECU system and any VIN based key you obtain.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-04-2017 at 02:14 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3 , E34 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Typically, a copy of registration (in your name) and a copy of drivers license is required to purchase keys/tumbler. Door and trunk lock can be re-keyed with a tumbler repair kit.
    If the current ignition key is not for your VIN, there may be a larger issue with EWS/ECU system and any VIN based key you obtain.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf

My current key works right now for the ignition/starting the car. Would it just be easier for me to just continue using that key and re-keying that unmatching sets with the tumbler repair kit?

My Cars
    99 M3

The question would be do you have a spare key for ignition, and are they VIN matched, meaning IF you went to BMW and ordered a key it would work in the ignition and is your current EWS also VIN matched.
    If yes, then re-key doors and trunk with repair kits.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-05-2017 at 12:37 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    You sure you don't have valet key? That wouldn't work on trunk or glovebox

m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    E46 M3 , E34 525iT
    The question would be do you have a spare key for ignition, and are they VIN matched, meaning IF you went to BMW and ordered a key it would work in the ignition and your current EWS is also VIN matched.
    If yes, then re-key doors and trunk with repair kits.

I just have 1 key. The key just works for the ignition. it doesnt unlock the doors, glove box, the trunk. I looked at the doors and the trunk, which the VINs match the car.
    Im assuming at some point the tumbbler/cylinder/ignition key probably had issues and they changed it over somehow?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by verobeach97 View Post
    You sure you don't have valet key? That wouldn't work on trunk or glovebox

maybe, but it doesnt open the driver/passenger door.

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    Valet key should work on drivers door and ignition only. It's grey color. http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/faq...a-58212.html#/

m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkman23 View Post
    I just have 1 key. The key just works for the ignition. it doesnt unlock the doors, glove box, the trunk. I looked at the doors and the trunk, which the VINs match the car.
    Im assuming at some point the tumbbler/cylinder/ignition key probably had issues and they changed it over somehow?
    Read the link I included above.
    Due to EWS issues, I can’t imagine obtaining a key, tumbler, matching EWS module, from another car and having the ECU aligned to match.

A few years back my drivers door lock and trunk lock tumbler got really dry and stopped working. I found a really high quality lock lubricant and applied it several times and the locks have been working fine ever since....now at 268K miles.

The valet key with bad door tumbler gets my vote.

My Cars
    E46 M3 , E34 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by verobeach97 View Post
    Valet key should work on drivers door and ignition only. It's grey color. http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/faq...a-58212.html#/

Hmmm .... my key is black. I wonder if it is an aftermarket key.

- - - Updated - - -

Read the link I included above.
    Due to EWS issues, I can’t imagine obtaining a key, tumbler, matching EWS module, from another car and having the ECU aligned to match.

A few years back my drivers door lock and trunk lock tumbler got really dry and stopped working. I found a really high quality lock lubricant and applied it several times and the locks have been working fine ever since....now at 268K miles.

The valet key with bad door tumbler gets my vote.

Thanks ! I'm going to order another key and see what happens.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    You'll need a working key to get the lock out of the doors to even use the cylinder repair kit. Or a whole new door handle (which usually includes a new lock and key, so you could THEN use the tumbler repair kit and re-key the tumbler).

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    You'll need a working key to get the lock out of the doors to even use the cylinder repair kit. Or a whole new door handle (which usually includes a new lock and key, so you could THEN use the tumbler repair kit and re-key the tumbler).
    Having just replaced my door handle, I can assure you it does NOT come with a key, even when you order the new lock to match your existing key. And having done that repair, I concur that buying a new key, even for $50-$100, is going to be well worth the money compared to the time spent trying to change the locks.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Can this be accomplished by a locksmith without a proper key?

My Cars
    E46 M3 , E34 525iT
    So I ordered a new OEM Vin matching key from BMW. This Key now opens glove box, trunk, and passenger side door. It doesn't start the car unfortunately. I pulled out the DME/ECU and it matches the the cars Vin. Do you guys think just swapping out the Tumbler to match the OEM Key would fix this issue?

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/A
    Are you saying the new key does not turn/match the ignition? If it doesn’t, you can get a matching tumbler from the dealer. I think I paid 155ish a little over a year ago. It will not affect EWS by just swapping tumblers.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    just repin the tumbler and done
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!