Thread: Trunk trim, left side missing part

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)

Trunk trim, left side missing part

See picture below. Any idea what goes into the marked areas? I guess some kind of clip for holding them together.

Trunk trim.jpg

I'm unable to find it on RealOEM: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_2194

Tried to fit in a door clip but the hole is too small for it.

Thanks!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    How did what ever secured the part come to be missing? Did you remove the panel and they've been lost? If that's what happened and the right side (the battery compartment door) is in place...lower it and see how it is secured...both sides may be secured the same way...and may be secured with item #6 (I'm guessing due to it not being familiar and I haven't walked out to my e38 to take a look...plus the part number index says that there's (4) of them in the QTY column).

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-03-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    How did what ever secured the part come to be missing? Did you remove the panel and they've been lost? If that's what happened and the right side (the battery compartment door) is in place...lower it and see how it is secured...both sides may be secured the same way...and may be secured with item #6 (I'm guessing due to it not being familiar and I haven't walked out to my e38 to take a look...plus the part number index says that there's (4) of them in the QTY column).

It was missing since I bought the car, Nr. 6 looks most likely but I'm not entirely sure about it.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Well, I don't think it's Nr. 6, cause kind of impossible to push the upper part into the whole, just not enough clearance to do it at any phase. Any other ideas?
    Nr. 8 might work there, but it's not shown anywhere close to the panel.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5, 96 328i
    Parting out a car, tell me what you want and we can work something out. I could sell you the side panel complete.

My Cars
    1998 e38 740il
    Just FYI, the part in question is nothing more than a plastic expanding rivet. It's actually very much like #6 in the picture. It's 2 pieces, you insert the expanding rivet in first then push in the top pin piece to expand it while in the hole.
    If you want to make sure what it looks like, just go over to the battery cover and open it. At the bottom are two more of the same rivets.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greygoose82 View Post
    Just FYI, the part in question is nothing more than a plastic expanding rivet. It's actually very much like #6 in the picture. It's 2 pieces, you insert the expanding rivet in first then push in the top pin piece to expand it while in the hole.
    If you want to make sure what it looks like, just go over to the battery cover and open it. At the bottom are two more of the same rivets.
    I know the part what you mention, the problem is it looks very hard to push it in cause you can't touch the pin when in place. You have no access to it because of the way it's folded together. Or maybe I'm missing something.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    I know the part what you mention, the problem is it looks very hard to push it in cause you can't touch the pin when in place. You have no access to it because of the way it's folded together. Or maybe I'm missing something.
    Now you made me think and perhaps the rivet is not going into the metal part but the trim, trying that way!