Thread: E30 starting issue

My Cars
    E30

E30 starting issue

Alright noob here, I’ll take any help I can get. 86 325e, won’t start unless I’m giving it gas and try a few times. If I turn the key on and off auxiliary mode maybe 5 times quickly before starting it does help, sometimes even fires right up.
    Replaced the fuel pressure regulator. No help.
    Do I splurge on a fuel pump next or try the relay? Any other tests or ideas before I throw money at it?

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    As you probably correctly assumed, you're probably losing fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Instead of turning they key to aux and off several times, how about leaving it in aux for 10 seconds. Does that change anything? The reason is that the fuel pump should be running and recharging fuel pressure. There are several reasons why you could be losing pressure:

1. faulty/leaking FPR
    2. leaking injectors
    3. fuel line is leaking
    4. fuel tank is leaking

I would check those in that order. For the injectors, reassemble the rail out of the head and then turn the key to aux, see if any leak.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    E30
    Turning it in on for 10 secs and waiting actually had about the same effect as the on/off method.
    It also has kind of a rough idle at stops but never an issue when driving.
    My other e30 runs like a top. This one sounds more like a tractor :/
    I think some tlc is in order.

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    fyi ... on an E30 the fuel pump will NOT run until the engine is rotating ... sojust turning the key on will NOT recharge any fuel pressure in the rail (an old chevy vortec engine works totally different)

on an E30 when the starter rotates the engine then the crankshaft position sensor signals the ECU/DME to engage the fuel pump and the spark to the plugs
    Last edited by my1stE30; 11-30-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    E30
    That’s good to know! Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

I think we have conflicting statements here.
    Is the fuel pump running when the car is in auxiliary mode or does the engine need to be on?
    Kershaw said leaving the key on will run the pump.

My Cars
    e30 e46
    Quote Originally Posted by my1stE30 View Post
    fyi ... on an E30 the fuel pump will NOT run until the engine is rotating ... sojust turning the key on will NOT recharge any fuel pressure in the rail (an old chevy vortec engine works totally different)

on an E30 when the starter rotates the engine then the crankshaft position sensor signals the ECU/DME to engage the fuel pump and the spark to the plugs
    ^^ not true on my 91 318iS. It primes before the engine is rotating. Since I don't own an e car to test, that may be true.

You can run the pump with a jumper before you try to start it to see if that helps.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    yah the pump primes for a few seconds before starting. however it won't run after prime if the engine doesn't rotate.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    The rough idle / tractor thing makes me think that you have a vacuum leak somewhere btw.
    Best check if you have unmetered air entering the engine and throwing off your air/fuel mixture.
    That big elbow hose between the AFM and throttle body is often a weak spot, so I'd start by checking that thing for cracks.
    It probably won't fix your starting issue, but it might help a bit.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    E30
    Doesn’t look too old and didn’t see any cracks in it. But good starting place!

My Cars
    1986 bmw 325es
    My cousins car had this problem, his would also idle rough when cold, it might be your cold start valve