Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's interested in rear lower strut bushings? European members please check in.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

Who's interested in rear lower strut bushings? European members please check in.

A thread pops up every so often complaining about rear struts that are doing fine, except for the lower eye bushing that gets deformed and cracked from taking all the rear weight of the car. Tourings that haul hay bales, refrigerators, and spare engines are particularly susceptible. These bushings are not listed separately in BMW's catalog. I am 90% certain that they are the same dimensions for all E34-fitment rear struts. In any case, I have Bilsteins and so do many others of us. Bilstein USA told me that they are listed in their internal catalog, but they can't source them individually. They suggested I try a European Bilstein distributor. The numbers cast into the bushings on my Bilstein Touring/B4 shocks are E6-GV2-Z001 A03, along with the word Ardeleana, which is apparently Romanian for "Transylvanian" (thanks, mihnea"e34), suggesting they come from Romania.

Two things:
    1. Who else wants to get in on perhaps a group buy (to save shipping and/or encourage a vendor to put some effort into sourcing a cheap and therefore low-profit part), if we manage to find a source?

2. Do any European-based BFC members want to help find a source? I speak British, German, Norwegian, Russian, some Swedish, and some Spanish, and can email all day long, but it'd help if someone physically there could join the quest.
    Last edited by moroza; 11-29-2017 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    A thread pops up every so often complaining about rear struts that are doing fine, except for the lower eye bushing that gets deformed and cracked from taking all the rear weight of the car. Tourings that haul hay bales, refrigerators, and spare engines are particularly susceptible. These bushings are not listed separately in BMW's catalog. I am 90% certain that they are the same dimensions for all E34-fitment rear struts. In any case, I have Bilsteins and so do many others of us. Bilstein USA told me that they are listed in their internal catalog, but they can't source them individually. They suggested I try a European Bilstein distributor. The numbers cast into the bushings on my Bilstein Touring/B4 shocks are E6-GV2-Z001 A03, along with the word Ardeleana, which is apparently Romanian for "Transylvanian" (thanks, mihnea"e34), suggesting they come from Romania.

Two things:
    1. Who else wants to get in on perhaps a group buy (to save shipping and/or encourage a vendor to put some effort into sourcing a cheap and therefore low-profit part), if we manage to find a source?

2. Do any European-based BFC members want to help find a source? I speak British, German, Norwegian, Russian, some Swedish, and some Spanish, and can email all day long, but it'd help if someone physically there could join the quest.
    In for group buy.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I'd be interested. Put me on the list.
    demet

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    I'd definitely buy some for future use - my sport-package SLS rear shocks are NLA.

I'll bet that Nagengast in Poland has a source for these. I'm guessing they're not sending their refurbished shocks out the door with old bushings. They might even be willing to sell the bushings separately - it would help them get their name out there.

As for finding a part number and/or manufacturer for the bushings, I wonder if OE (Sachs) shocks would have something molded in to the rubber.

My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by eddycooper View Post
    I'd definitely buy some for future use - my sport-package SLS rear shocks are NLA.

I'll bet that Nagengast in Poland has a source for these. I'm guessing they're not sending their refurbished shocks out the door with old bushings. They might even be willing to sell the bushings separately - it would help them get their name out there.

As for finding a part number and/or manufacturer for the bushings, I wonder if OE (Sachs) shocks would have something molded in to the rubber.
    I'll poke Nagengast. Good suggestion!

Meanwhile, anyone with OE (or Sachs; strictly speaking not the same thing) shocks want to have a looksee?

My Cars
    E34T
    Nagengast said they are aware of the problem, but have no source for new bushings, and install good used ones in their rebuilt shocks.

I've got a few more places to try before custom casting becomes our option.

My Cars
    Too Many
    Moroza,

Was going to reply to your request on the EDC rebuild thread for the dimensions of the lower bushings, but this seems a better place. I attached photos with caliper measurements of the bushings on a set I just got back from restoration by Nagengast. Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by CaneDVM; 12-03-2017 at 06:29 PM.

My Cars
    E34T
    Yes, thank you! Everything looks identical to mine, except I measured 40mm for the sleeve OD (but will doublecheck). You didn't measure the sleeve length (I got 38mm on mine), but pending confirmation of the OD, it appears these bushings are identical to the non-SLS/EDC ones.

My Cars
    Too Many
    Moroza,

Measured the sleeve length this morning. It is indeed 38mm on the EDC shocks.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Poly bush repair kit for LAD shocks for E34 and E32 I have some very few sets on stock, special made, maybe that gives you an idea how to do, pics here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ht=poly+bushes
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E34T
    So the SLS/LAD shocks have different bushing dimensions? They look very close. For both normal and EDC shocks, we've got a 40/41mm outer diameter, 38mm sleeve length, and the rest (the insert) has to fit the same trailing arms so should be identical across shock types.

I'm not sure about OE BMW-branded shocks, or Sachs/Boge, but that bushing has a metal sleeve and is removable (I did it) on Bilstein B4, B6, and B8. Definitely not vulcanized into the body.

Regarding the replacement bushings in that thread: why not just pour the poly into the outer sleeve, instead of liquid nitrogen and a lathe? Wondering about ways to reduce cost since $110 is about the price of two brand new shocks, and that defeats the purpose for non-SLS/LAD.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    On the SLS shocks the bushings are vulcanized, inside is a metal bush, outside is a metal cladding for the rubber. The big advantage for the DIYer with my poly bush set is, that one does not need a press to push old bushes out and press new ones in, the original outer shell remains, so you just drill around the inner metal shell holes with a drill till the inner bush falls out, then you remove the rest of the old rubber and insert my poly bush set without any press needed.
    The price for the 2 SLS poly bush sets and the stainless bushing repair kit is cheap when comparing the price of new SLS rear shocks, realoem prices: SLS REAR LEFT SPRING STRUT $654.00 , SLS REAR RIGHT SPRING STRUT $654.00 = total $ 1308.00
    But of course, non SLS are much cheaper. So the solution I have it just for the expensive SLS rear shocks.
    For normal shocks you have to find a cheaper solution. Ask one of the poly bush makers like http://www.polybush.co.uk/ if they are willing to produce, mention max sales price and possible sales volume, for sure they will not produce for only a few sets.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-15-2020 at 07:42 AM.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    My SLS shocks appear to have steel-clad bushings.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Yes, that is correct for the SLS. On the poly bushing repair kit I have we left the outer steel ring installed, just removed/pressed out the rubber and the inner metal bushing. That requires most of the work, the inner and outer ring are vulcanized together as one piece, all this refers to the SLS shocks of E34 and E32, on the E34 M5 the SLS shocks are a different version
    Last edited by shogun; 03-15-2020 at 07:49 AM.

My Cars
    E34T
    Shogun, I'm wondering why you did it that way (seems like a lot of work) instead of pressing the whole thing out, including the outer sleeve?

I've gotten nowhere with this, despite multiple emails and contacts to Bilstein directly, among other places. They come off as a byzantine corporate monstrosity (Thyssen Krupp) with more bureaucracy than brains; they completely stonewalled my attempts to get spring info and source these bushings. Kinda like BMW themselves - they make world-class products, they know they make world-class products, and it's corrupted them; they let it get to their heads.

The only solution, other than custom casting, was suggested by a helpful Bilstein distributor, who offered to warranty perfectly good shocks with iffy bushings, even if bought elsewhere and by elsewhom. Well, that place has my business, and Bilstein can just eat it, I guess. Serves them right.

Actually, I do have another idea. KYB, aka Kayaba, freely publishes their spring technical data, leading me to believe they might be overall a more cooperative bunch of humans than Bilstein. Maybe other aftermarket companies are, too. So could anyone with KYB or other (Koni?) rear shocks please have a look at the lower eye bushings and post any part numbers found?
    Last edited by moroza; 01-19-2018 at 09:26 PM.

My Cars
    E34T
    Bumping the request in my previous post. Could anyone with KYB or other (Koni?) rear shocks please have a look at the lower eye bushings and post any part numbers found?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I assume the only way to go is to use poly bushings from one like AKG Motorsport, Powerflex, Flo-Flex https://floflex.co.uk/ , Flo-Flex for example has for the E30 / E36 Rear Lower Shock Absorber Bushes for £24.95 (2 x Rear Lower Shock Bushes),
    price would somehow fit in relation to a normal shock price (not LAD/EDC shocks). Maybe you go that route and contact Flo-Flex or one of the others if they can make a small series for the E34.

LAD/SLS and/or EDCI or EDC III shocks is a different story, as extremely expensive or NLA, unless a shop like Nagengast repairs them, but even that is (very) expensive, + that is why many change from LAD/EDC to normal shocks. LAD on the rear I will keep on my E32, LAD shocks are not too difficult to repair (unless the shaft/piston has wear grooves) compared to EDC, and for the LAD lower eye bushing I have the poly bushing kit.

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Not KYB or Koni, but I happen to have a set of Monroe OE Spectrum shocks sitting around, at well as one of my touring's original Boge shocks, if that helps?

Boge:
    IMG_20200204_143747.jpg

IMG_20200204_143743.jpg

IMG_20200204_143737.jpg

Monroe:
    IMG_20200204_143442.jpg

IMG_20200204_143323.jpg

My Cars
    E34T
    It does! I'll make some phonecalls for Monroe 06081013. Can't read the first three of that Boge number, though; what's your best guess?

As a tangent, did you ever drive with the Monroes? The OESpectrum line is my default go-to for customer cars and most personal vehicles, but never been in a BMW with them.

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    The Boge number was hard to read, even in person. I'll take another look this afternoon and see if I can get a better reading.

As for using OE Spectrums, I put a full set on my 540 sedan with OEM sport springs a few years ago. The shocks that came off were completely shot, so the Monroe's were a big improvement, but I couldn't say definitively they were better or worse than other manufacturers. I think they are fine for daily duty, which is what the 540 sedan was doing at the time. Also, with rebates, they were about $120 for all 4, and that includes a lifetime warranty.

Kind of hard to not give them a try at that price point, and like I said, for daily duty comfort, I can't imagine spending 4x as much is going to get you 4x the comfort.

My Cars
    E34T
    Progress: tech support rep for a major aftermarket shock manufacturer said it's not something they've done before, but will reach out to their factory and see about selling a batch of the bushings. I'm sure there'll be a minimum order quantity, and I can only give a wild guess as to what it'd be (100 pieces?). So... who wants some, and how many?

EDIT: Follow-up from the company sounds like they took my inquiry seriously, and seem willing to make a deal on a batch of internal parts. If you want in, now would be a good time to speak up.
    Last edited by moroza; 02-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    Finally got a chance to look a little more closely at the strut bushing.

My guess is it is either:
    2-22-000289-01
    2-22-000298-01
    2-22-000299-01
    2-22-000288-01

Screenshot_20200214-080047.jpg

Screenshot_20200214-080126.jpg

Screenshot_20200214-080209.jpg

Screenshot_20200214-080251.jpg

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Progress: tech support rep for a major aftermarket shock manufacturer said it's not something they've done before, but will reach out to their factory and see about selling a batch of the bushings.......
    any news on this subjet?

My Cars
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    any news on this subjet?
    I suspect a pandemic delay....

My Cars
    E34T
    The effort stalled for lack of interest. After my last post asking anyone interested to say so, nobody did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast