Thread: Going to be aquiring an M5 parts car - what is worth removing that is M5 specific??

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's

Going to be aquiring an M5 parts car - what is worth removing that is M5 specific??

Hi All, as the title states.
    Here is my list so far, some of the goodies will see it's way on my e39, the rest will be for sale if interested. Some of the items are just desirable e39 parts - please let me know if I missed anything:

- brakes front and rear
    - style 65's
    - S62 complete with harness/DME's
    - cluster
    - door sills
    - complete front bumper and underbelly pan/fender liners
    - rear bumper
    - complete exhaust from the headers back
    - black headliner
    - front seats
    - steering wheel
    - 16:9 Nav
    - swaybars
    - 3.15 LSdiff
    - rear window door shades
    - exterior and interior mirrors
    - floor mats
    - steering box
    - factory FL angel eyes + LED tailights (and associated module)
    - forward rear subframe bushing reinforcements

I think I got the bulk of it; as mentioned some of the above are just a desireable upgrades for the average e39.

Let me know if I forgot anything small or large; thanks for your input!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I am interested and will take the Style 65's if you are willing.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Damn good list. I was about to say, uh, sounds about like it... but... nope I got a few things...

- Fuel pump (drop-in 'upgrade' for a 540), and
    - possibly the FPR (don't drop-in to your 540 without tuning, its a different PSI and will whack your mixture and trims)
    - Take the rear axles. You'll be able to re-use your Touring axles, which are already bigger than any except the M5's, and are 'plug and play' with the M5 diff, but still they'd be good spares.
    - Does it have the "Full Extra Complete Total Additional Augmented Supplementary Leather" interior? If so then take all that ishtar.

And be sure you get all the bits for the rear brakes - not just the calipers, unless you want to be cutting and modding your shields yourself. Although I have a set of those from Jim if you ended up needing them anyway...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    rearview mirror,rear seat depending on what leather it has

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    GG, thought I gave the brake parts to Leo, no?
    I know you have my 2.81 diff, what else ya got?

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Damn good list. I was about to say, uh, sounds about like it... but... nope I got a few things...

- Fuel pump (drop-in 'upgrade' for a 540), and
    - possibly the FPR (don't drop-in to your 540 without tuning, its a different PSI and will whack your mixture and trims)
    - Take the rear axles. You'll be able to re-use your Touring axles, which are already bigger than any except the M5's, and are 'plug and play' with the M5 diff, but still they'd be good spares.
    - Does it have the "Full Extra Complete Total Additional Augmented Supplementary Leather" interior? If so then take all that ishtar.

And be sure you get all the bits for the rear brakes - not just the calipers, unless you want to be cutting and modding your shields yourself. Although I have a set of those from Jim if you ended up needing them anyway...
    What benefit is there to an M5 fuel pump? Surely the M62tu doesn't need more gas, seems like it drinks it at a healthy pace already :P I assume it's good if you're supercharging or running a more performance-oriented tune?
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    GG, thought I gave the brake parts to Leo, no?
    I know you have my 2.81 diff, what else ya got?
    Somehow the stray backing plates ended up in my pile... unless since then I gave them to Leo? Oldstimerz setting in... makes me forget things.

Still got those old heads. They served a function once or twice, I wanted to check something out a couple times before/during the timing job and eyeballed it on them to remind me what was going on...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Surely the M62tu doesn't need more gas, seems like it drinks it at a healthy pace already :P I assume it's good if you're supercharging or running a more performance-oriented tune?
    Yeah, totally. The stock pump probably runs out of gas, so to speak, (literally that is) up in the mid-400's wheel or so..., but for most people the M62 fool pump is fine indeed. Just sayin. If you're parting an M5 its worth nabbing... if you're in a jam and need a pump for a 540, that drops right in, and/or if yer indeed pushing the motor, then it is a good option short of going to an aftermarket etc. etc.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Not to steal the thread, but a similar situation here. Obtaining a 2003 fully decked out 530 with the M package (which means I finally get my bumper !!! )

03/03 build; I'd show you the build sheet, but the online VIN decoder has not been working for me lately.

Even the "M" rear door sill pieces will fit in my wagon. Rear door cards are different though.

I will save the headliner for sure. Someone must want one of those, and maybe the rear window roller blind too. Not sure if you can add that second item so easily to a vehicle that didn't come with one from the factory.

Anywho, I will post the car on the site and locally here; see if anyone wants any shippable items.

Keeping the CD changer until I get my Dynavin set up which will possibly be the springtime. I know GG. Who uses a CD changer anymore ? Me, perhaps. Satellite radio gets very much the same sometimes.

My Cars
    2003 540i6 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dohalloran View Post
    Not to steal the thread, but a similar situation here. Obtaining a 2003 fully decked out 530 with the M package (which means I finally get my bumper !!! )

03/03 build; I'd show you the build sheet, but the online VIN decoder has not been working for me lately.

Even the "M" rear door sill pieces will fit in my wagon. Rear door cards are different though.

I will save the headliner for sure. Someone must want one of those, and maybe the rear window roller blind too. Not sure if you can add that second item so easily to a vehicle that didn't come with one from the factory.

Anywho, I will post the car on the site and locally here; see if anyone wants any shippable items.

Keeping the CD changer until I get my Dynavin set up which will possibly be the springtime. I know GG. Who uses a CD changer anymore ? Me, perhaps. Satellite radio gets very much the same sometimes.
    A 530i sport from 03 did not come with the m aero package from the factory, nor do I think they had the black headliner.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by 777300ER View Post
    A 530i sport from 03 did not come with the m aero package from the factory, nor do I think they had the black headliner.
    They did in Canada. Any E39 from 2001 and up could be optioned with the true M-Sport package. Same in Europe, except there I think you could get an M-Sport as early as 2000.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Either way, it's got all the goodies, sans a V8 motor.

See if I can get that build sheet from the decoder and post it here. It's quite impressive.

I think they just threw all the extra M parts they had laying around, at some of these '03 cars.

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Here we go . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2003 540i6 M-Sport
    Whups, I was wrong. Nice car for parts.

[EDIT] It's a Canadian car! In the states it was never offered as an option.

My Cars
    95 M5, Euro S50 E30
    Nice list and I'd add just a couple minor other items:

Window switch drivers side and passenger side module so the tilt function can be swapped over to a non M5
    Heated seat wiring harness from HVAC area to seat plugs

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    Window switch drivers side and passenger side module so the tilt function can be swapped over to a non M5
    NICE catch. Can't believe I missed that, having bought 2 of them (the driver side at least) myself.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former: