Thread: Anyone tried TRW control arms?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

Anyone tried TRW control arms?

I used to think that E34 control arms were in two categories: Lemförder and garbage, with varying degrees of stench (Meyle HD at the top, Karlyn at the bottom). But I recently found out that FCP and a few other sites sell TRW arms for quite cheap - about $49 for an aluminum E34 lower arm made in Italy, for example. On one hand, TRW is generally reputable (as far as quality if not ethics; they apparently built the US' first ICBM), as is ZF, their and Lemförder's corporate parent since 2015. Lemförder arms are however made in Germany. On the other hand, that price makes me suspicious. Unlike China (where Meyle HD is made), Italy is not known for $2/day sweatshops, so where are the cost savings coming from?

Does anyone have any real-world experience with TRW control arms or bushings?

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    I used to think that E34 control arms were in two categories: Lemförder and garbage, with varying degrees of stench (Meyle HD at the top, Karlyn at the bottom). But I recently found out that FCP and a few other sites sell TRW arms for quite cheap - about $49 for an aluminum E34 lower arm made in Italy, for example. On one hand, TRW is generally reputable (as far as quality if not ethics; they apparently built the US' first ICBM), as is ZF, their and Lemförder's corporate parent since 2015. Lemförder arms are however made in Germany. On the other hand, that price makes me suspicious. Unlike China (where Meyle HD is made), Italy is not known for $2/day sweatshops, so where are the cost savings coming from?

Does anyone have any real-world experience with TRW control arms or bushings?
    In for some info on this topic too...with the FCP Euro lifetime warranty I'm really tempted.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 530i (M62B44)
    I just did mine last summer, otherwise I’d be tempted to be the guinea pig... FCP is fairly local to me and they do an excellent job with product research and testing on their personal vehicles, so I imagine this stuff should be Meyle level, but I just can’t imagine Lemforder quality at that price.

In for a first hand report...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I had used some TRW front end parts on my old touring and had no problems.

My Cars
    540i/6, 740il,M Roadster
    I thought TRW was the OEM on E34 steering parts, centerlink and tierods.

RobZR

My Cars
    '95 525it
    My favorite tire/suspension shop replaced the thrust arms on my 540i with TRW/Moog parts about two years ago. They're holding up fine.

The shop thinks enough of these parts to give me a lifetime guarantee on parts and labor. We'll see how that works out!

My Cars
    E34T
    Moog? I've been curious about them since I saw they make E34 arms, and generally pleased with their quality on other cars' parts. I heard a rumor that they stopped producing in the USA a few years back, but every Moog part I've ever bought claimed to be made here . E34 control arms are tuned to the chassis and have middle grounds between good and bad (unlike a tierod, which is either perfectly tight or isn't), so the standard for their quality is higher. I once had Karlyn arms whose bushings were way too soft and caused tire wear and alignment issues, though the balljoint part held up fine.

Moog thrust arms (apparently with bushings) go for $35+ship at RockAuto, alu LCAs for 48 (very close to TRW's price).

TRW has no affiliation with Moog that I know of (EDIT: they do, but it only applies to engine parts. Federal Mogul, Moog's parent, bought TRW's engine valve division in '14). So any details on whose what went where?
    Last edited by moroza; 11-30-2017 at 07:12 PM.

My Cars
    '95 525it
    Hm, I could have sworn the shop described the parts as TRW/Moog. Now I'll have to crawl under the car and see which brand the arms are ...

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    TRW has always been good quality. ZF bought them several years ago so all you that think it must be German can rest easy to.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '95 525it
    I did a little Internet sleuthing, and found scores of people swearing up and down that Moog and TRW suspension parts are identical. None of that is authoritative, of course.

But I finally ran across a press release from Federal Mogul announcing a recall of some control arms built as aftermarket replacements for some MoPar cars. The release says the parts were sold under the Moog, TRW and Duralast labels. The wording is a little odd, saying Federal Mogul "packaged and sold" the components rather that stating it manufactured them.

Here's an excerpt from the press release:

"Federal-Mogul packaged and sold the recalled aftermarket control arm assemblies betweenFebruary 15, 2010 and December 20, 2010 under the brand names MOOG®, TRW®*, andDuralast®*. These control arm assemblies were manufactured for both a driver’s side andpassenger side with different part numbers for each specific control arm assembly brand andvehicle side (i.e., six different part numbers). The specific part numbers being recalled,affected date codes, and vehicle application information which may relate to parts our recordsindicate were sold to you are listed on Attachment A."

A link to the document: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...0E059-0124.pdf

So ... does that mean the TRW suspension arms now on the aftermarket are Federal Mogul products? I think it's safe to conclude that Federal Mogul has been selling parts under the TRW label, at least.

My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    TRW has always been good quality. ZF bought them several years ago so all you that think it must be German can rest easy to.
    FCP's website says E34 alu lowers are made in Italy.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    FCP's website says E34 alu lowers are made in Italy.
    Not surprising, the Germans are doing the same as everyone else, manufacturing elsewhere(sometimes even in ).
    My comment was meant tongue in cheek for those needing a German affectation to be convinced of a superior product.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '95 525it
    I bought a pair of Lemforder front strut mounts awhile back -- the box was stamped "made in China." Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My Cars
    1990 535i
    A few years ago I installed a new center link on a pick up truck, a year later I did it again, the first time I bought the cheaper part, the second time I bought Moog, a year later I was replacing it yet again. I found out that Moog had two versions. The more expensive Moog part held up...

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzo6VDDaC1s go to 4:20 ish...

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Put TRW on my Touring over the summer. Super awesome piece for the price. I'd buy them again.

My Cars
    1995 540i M-Sport
    Installed TRW tie rods, center tie rod, and all control arms on my 540i M-Sport in 2013. Zero issues whatsoever over 30,000 miles.