Thread: Cluster issue

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp

Cluster issue

Sorting out newly acquired 2003 330i with 6 speed.

Symptoms: gas gauge usually shows empty or near empty, but would go to normal after a restart or 2. There is a stored code for the cluster that is fuel level related (will insert exact wording here). Thinking it is a fuel sender related problem (previous owner claims to have replaced fuel pump at some point, will investigate once low on fuel) BUT: today I noticed that when I turn the key on, gauge arrows would "buzz" as if they are trying to go in the opposite direction. Clock and trip odometer reset too every time I start the car. All gauges work otherwise (except for the fuel level that has a mind of its own). If I restart the car while stationary after starting it, the problem is there, but if I restart it while rolling, fuel gauge immediately goes to normal reading.

I have tried cluster test/reset #19: all gauges and light work/sweep as they should. I have also tried pulling all 3 fuses for the cluster when the car is off, waited a few minutes and put them back in - this brought no change. Battery has 14.2V while running, 12.8v otherwise.

Help please?!

Thanks.

P.S. This is the reset I've tried:

1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
    2. OBC should show "Test"
    3. Repeatedly press Trip Reset to select function 19.0 to unlock all of the features
    3. Wait for display to show "Off"
    4. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
    5. With no delay press Trip Reset repeatedly until 2, or 2.0 maybe, is shown and stop. All the gauges should go through their full range of motion.
    Last edited by Mless5; 11-28-2017 at 09:33 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to E46Fanatics and contact scottjon. He’s the cluster expert. I’d check to see what brand of fuel pump the PO installed. It needs to be a pump made by Siemens/VDO. All other brands are crap.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Check the fuel sender wiring. Perhaps it's not plugged in properly at the tank.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Thanks, will be pulling covers tomorrow to check.

Noticed another odd thing: if I leave the lights on and turn off the car, entire dash still illuminates as it should except for the cluster. Tail lights went through a recall and have "upgraded" extra grounding points.

Thanks.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Turns out one of the cluster fuses was bad: there are 3 of them in the main fuse box in the glove box and while I visually checked them them to be ok, replacing them solved the issue. OBD computer now communicates through the port ok too.
    Also got a lead re: fuel level issue - I'll try inspecting / swapping out drivers side sender once I am low on fuel as the code points to that side being an issue.

My Cars
    2000 BME 323i
    My cluster on a 2000 323i gas gone dead. But, it passed the cluster test. I looked the fuses and they look fine. I can swap them out anyway, but if it passed the test, shouldn't that mean there is something else wrong? Also, it started going erratically with different gauges and lights dying intermittently and then within two weeks went completely dead.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Start by swapping fuses first, cheap and easy. "Look fine" doesn't mean that they are.