Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Switch from Run Flats to Regular All-Season Tires

My Cars
    BMW 2013 X1

Switch from Run Flats to Regular All-Season Tires

Hello,
    I have a 2013 X1 BMW.

I would like to switch from Run Flat Tires to Regular All Season Tires.
    I live in Pennsylvania and i was wondering a good brand and model of All Season tires that work well with with my model car?

Also can you recommend a good tire repair kit in case a flat should occur since I will not have a spare available on the road?

Thanks in advance,
    jcjst21

See my previous posts regarding Continental DWS tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'd suggest Continental or Michelin all seasons. Use the same sizes as your run-flats, eg. whatever size TireRack tells you to get for your car.

The best repair kit is your cell phone and roadside assistance if you have something bad enough to be totally flat and not drive-able. For any slower leaks you should be able to make it to a tire shop or home. Can always stop at a gas station and top off the tire if necessary.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    With winter driving involved I like the Conti DWS06. In all of our testing they give the best combination of dry, wet and snow traction. For a repair kit we actually carry the Conti Comfort kit and it was rated number one by Consumers Report.

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...nce+and+Safety

If I can help let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    A related question, I'm changing tire sise from 16 to 18 inch tires. How to I adjust the speedometer on my 2003 Z4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim@tirerack View Post
    With winter driving involved I like the Conti DWS06. In all of our testing they give the best combination of dry, wet and snow traction. For a repair kit we actually carry the Conti Comfort kit and it was rated number one by Consumers Report.

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...nce+and+Safety

If I can help let me know.
    Definitely. I've used Pirelli after the stock run flats, but the DWS06 is the winner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    If you choose the correct size tires the speedometer will stay correct. You should run 225/40R18 all the way around or with a 245/35R18 or 255/35R18 rear. If I can help let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    I am going to the staggered tire size 18 inch package on BMW 107 wheels. I had always heard, when you change to bigger or smaller wheels, an adjustment had to be made. By the way I purchased these tires from Tire Rack, Midway, 2nd set.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrhill View Post
    A related question, I'm changing tire sise from 16 to 18 inch tires. How to I adjust the speedometer on my 2003 Z4.
    As long as you are using OE Wheel diameters: Front(225/40-18) Rear(255/35-18) they are within spec.
    Here is the Conti all-season from TireRack:https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=54100
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 12-01-2017 at 02:03 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    You just always want to keep the outside diameter the same as stock and you do not have to adjust the car.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    I put Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's on my 2014 X1 and the drive and handling improvement was much better than the conti run flats. Just need to carry a fix a flat with a compressor and you're good. I also carry a plug kit. I also have pilot sports on my 328.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    That is a good fix.