Thread: PPI - at a Dealership or Indy? (for 2002 E46 M3)

My Cars
    1972 Shovelhead

PPI - at a Dealership or Indy? (for 2002 E46 M3)

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a 2002 E46 M3. I am wondering who I should get to do the pre-purchase inspection?

It has low mileage, full dealership service history, owner seems sensible.

I have four options:
    1 - Large dealership near me.
    2 - An independent workshop that focuses on European cars
    3 - The other dealership in our city (that it has been serviced at for the last eight years).
    4 - A referral to a local head mechanic who apparently has had a lot to do with Bimmers and race cars, manages a franchised workshop.

I am in Brisbane Australia so there are not so many options as in bigger cities. The vehicle is stock, interior / exterior is a little rough in a few places but I plan to fix that up if I go ahead with the purchase. I have always ridden nice Harleys and not had nice cars, so your opinions mean a lot to me as I am not experienced with it. It seems like a good vehicle, and other than concerns about getting the sub-frame checked is there anything else?

Hopefully it's a good car and I can become an active forum member!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

I like #4 as referral's means that a person had a good experience with that shop.

When you say low mileage, for me that would be around 160k for that car. There are very specific items that need to be replaced at various mileage, so please post up the mileage.

These cars can be wonderful daily drivers, just get a bit thirsty if you really get into the gas pedal.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1972 Shovelhead
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

I like #4 as referral's means that a person had a good experience with that shop.

When you say low mileage, for me that would be around 160k for that car. There are very specific items that need to be replaced at various mileage, so please post up the mileage.

These cars can be wonderful daily drivers, just get a bit thirsty if you really get into the gas pedal.
    Thanks dworthy!

The mileage is 120k, so yes low. I will be keeping my little shitter for some of the daily driving to keep fuel costs lower lol. The referral is from my upholsterer (three shops down from mine), she is a lovely person but doesn't own a BMW. I think I'll stop in to see the guy and feel out if he has knowledge of the Bimmers and is actually into them as she said (she wouldn't lie but isn't exactly a car person), and specifically if he has knowledge of the sub-frame issues.

Also, if there are any specific items that would be coming up for replacement - keen to hear about it. It's that kind of stuff that I thought might be better advised at the dealership?
    Last edited by TGC M3; 11-27-2017 at 06:10 AM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well at 120k miles that would be an Inspection-II if it hasn't been done already. With that is ALL the fluids changed, sparkplugs replaced, valve adjustment, and at 100k miles all 4 oxygen sensors. If you seen that they have been done already, then you are good. Most folks hear the price tag for an Inspection-II at a dealership and will just opt to sell the car. 2.5k to 3k U.S. is the typical cost for one to be performed at a dealership, as it will take almost all day long if the job is done right.

I waited about 6 months to find the one I currently have, and it is better to be happy with what you have or you wish you had waited.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1972 Shovelhead
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Well at 120k miles that would be an Inspection-II if it hasn't been done already. With that is ALL the fluids changed, sparkplugs replaced, valve adjustment, and at 100k miles all 4 oxygen sensors. If you seen that they have been done already, then you are good. Most folks hear the price tag for an Inspection-II at a dealership and will just opt to sell the car. 2.5k to 3k U.S. is the typical cost for one to be performed at a dealership, as it will take almost all day long if the job is done right.

I waited about 6 months to find the one I currently have, and it is better to be happy with what you have or you wish you had waited.
    Thanks for the info! BTW that is 120km, not miles - just to be sure we are both on the same page.

The car has a few things that I really like and wanted, so I will go ahead with an inspection at least. But knowing about the Inspection II is good, I can check if it has been done, and if it hasn't I can keep it in mind and adjust my offer on the car accordingly.
    Last edited by TGC M3; 11-27-2017 at 01:59 PM.

My Cars
    1972 Shovelhead
    So,
    I went to check out the Indy my trimmer had suggested first, mainly out of politeness and because it was just around the corner from my workshop. As I drove up, I see a Motorsport Racing trailer, then another. It's a busy shop, mostly Bimmers. I get inside and two walls are full of racing trophies and photos - all M3's. Asked for the Director / owner of the shop, had a great chat and he is perfect for what I'm looking for. I'm getting the inspection tomorrow so fingers crossed it's a good car!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Good to hear, I am sure they will know exactly what to look for. If you race a car, you find all the odd things that get busted.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member