Thread: E89 Z4 N52 vs 228i - DD + Trackdays

My Cars
    14 GLK350, 14 E350 Coupe

E89 Z4 N52 vs 228i - DD + Trackdays

Thinking about dipping my toes back into bimmers with one of the two. I recently sold my 987.2 Boxter S and so I'm looking for a car I can take to about 5 to 6 track days a year. Unfortunately, it HAS to be auto because it needs to sit in bumper to bumper crawling Socal traffic 2 hours a day 2-3 days a week.
    I've been looking at a few options and I think I'm focused on these two, I think the 1 could be a nice option but both the misses and me just really dislike how it looks so that's a non-starter and it's out. The curb weight for the N52 Z4 and 228i actually seem to be almost the same.

E89 Z4 N52 Pros:
    1. No turbo heat soak problems on track days
    2. Having a roadster again would be nice in San Diego (although this takes us out of BMWCCA track days)
    3. Not sure how robust these autoboxes are even with yearly service if doing track days
    4. I just generally prefer NA engines and this is one of the last most advanced ones BMW made

228i Pros:
    1. Many many reviews about how well balanced and awesome they are to drive especially on the track.
    2. Will be a newer model so wear items like shocks, suspension bushings, and engine/transmission mounts will be in better shape.
    3. As a DD, it will be a tiny bit more practical as it does technically have 4 seats and more cargo room.
    4. Probably more comfortable for road trips.
    5. Really well reviewed 8 speed autobox that might be more robust for track days.

Any thoughts?

My Cars
    1998 328i, 1990 Spec E30
    For track use I prefer to keep it simple, therefore, not turbocharged.
    But thats just me, I love my E30 because trackside repairs and maintenance are minimal and rare. Turbos build a lot of heat, and you are in socal, where it gets hot in the summer.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo520 View Post
    For track use I prefer to keep it simple, therefore, not turbocharged.
    But thats just me, I love my E30 because trackside repairs and maintenance are minimal and rare. Turbos build a lot of heat, and you are in socal, where it gets hot in the summer.
    He cant really take the z4 on the track

So 228i obviously

My Cars
    M235 | M3 | 325Ci
    Both great cars, but I think the 228i is a better match for your purposes. It should be a more comfortable and versatile daily driver, and will allow you far more choices for track days. Upgrade the intercooler as big as you can go, and you should be fine on the track.

The NA engine in the Z4 is a point in it's favor, but I think for the Z4 it's really all about the 'vert. If you miss the Boxster, and decide you just have to have a 'vert, then it wins. You can still track it with some organizations, I believe Speed Ventures here in socal has no problem with it (although you might want to call them and confirm). Stow the hardtop in the trunk, and the pop up rollover protection will satisfy their rules.

But with all the acclaim that the 228i's handling has received, and it's greater versatility as a DD and track day vehicle, I would go for it.

My Cars
    e30 M3, 335d
    To agree with skyotee; the 228i is a much better choice for you given the needs you have outlined. The F22 chassis is awesome in terms of the overall size and the power you have available given the aftermarket support. Plus you cant go wrong with all the new car bells and whistles for a DD!

Good luck on the purchase! Keep us all posted with whatever you choose!

- Max