Thread: worst oil change ever

My Cars
    2002 porsche carrera

worst oil change ever

evening gentlemen, and happy thanksgiving.

the oil change is the most basic of diy auto maintenance, and comprises 3 primary activities: undoing the drain plug, replacing the filter, and refiling with oil.
    this thanksgiving, i'm thankful that i at least got one of those three right. but about the other 2:

the drain plug.
    this is the third oil change i've performed on the car. and i've noticed that this (and the previous, i don't remember much about the first) time, removing the plug, that the plug is extremely short. maybe 1 full thread. this can't be right, can it? i did see moisture around the plug. so, with the plug out i checked the catalogs, and

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/11131273093

https://www.bavauto.com/07-11-9-919-325

seeing the m12/1.5/21mm, i just headed down to the local advancezone and picked up a generic plug with those measures. but, when i tried to turn the new plug into the thread, it only spun about 1 full turn. not wanting to destroy the thread (anymore?) i put back the original short plug (with washer) and refilled with oil.

the question is, did i snap the original plug? there's no way this engine has some unique super short drain plug, does it? just want to confirm before i find the appropriate tap and rethread it.

the filter
    let me preface this by saying that i try not to over-tighten oil filters or housings as i know what a pain in the neck it is getting them off. but... i seem to have broken the two rubber mounts holding the housing to the bracket. (of course without these, its impossible to get any leverage on the housing and so the i coouldnt change the filter)

i've found replacement mounts easily enough, but has anyone else done this? is there anything holding these tight on the underside? its pretty tight in there, and i just want to know what i'm getting into, and if there's any tricks to get under there and loosening the bottom side of the mount.

anyway, thanks in advance. at least i filled it with the right amount of oil, until the new parts come in.

PS: '91 m70 850i

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    The rubber mounts thread into nuts that are permanently installed under the mount. Should be able to grab the rubber mounts with some pliers to loosen them. That's what I found out a week or two ago with my project car.
    I changed the oil in my car for the first time and I believe there were at least five or six threads for the plug. You should try to inspect the hole with a pen light and see if you can tell how many threads are in the pan and whether or not they are damaged.
    Last edited by JDP530; 11-26-2017 at 08:14 PM.

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    It is very common for the rubber mounts that hold the oil filter housing to break. Especially if you rely on them to hold the housing while you break the cap loose. You really need a 2nd person to hold the housing while you turn the cap but the mounts are cheap and it is wise to grab a few extra when ordering these.

As for the drain plug, it certainly has more than one thread of attachment. I'd drop the pan for a good inspection if it is not obvious what is wrong.
    Last edited by BMSman; 11-26-2017 at 08:16 PM.

My Cars
    '92 850i 6-speed (SOLD)
    When I did my first oil change I noticed the rubber mounts were broken on my oil filter housing even though my car has fairly low mileage. After I replaced them, I wrote a little note on the cap to remind me (or the other guy) to support the filter housing with one hand while using the other hand to wrench the cap off.

Sean

Engine.jpg

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I usually tighten the oil filter cap by hand with some gloves. I see no reason to use a wrench and I am always able to remove it the same way.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    2002 porsche carrera
    thanks guys!

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    You could always use a 'strap wrench' to hold the filter canister if the cap is exceptionally tight.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    As mentioned, a strap wrench is a good idea. I had the same problem with the mounts. When I brought my car in for an oil change, they said they couldn't get the cap off, so they didn't change the filter (and gave me the oil for free). I ended up breaking the mounts trying to get it off (so only self oil changes for now on). What I did was bolt it directly to the mount in order to get it off (put a block of wood under it to take the space of the rubber). Then made sure I didn't over tighten (just a tad over hand tight). Hopefully I won't break them next time since I didn't think to order extras (but will on my next order of assorted things).
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid