Thread: 2A3F/P1056 trouble after valve cover gasket

My Cars
    09 328i

2A3F/P1056 trouble after valve cover gasket

Hey everyone I just got an 09 328i x drive and could really use your help. I noticed I had a little oil leak so I replaced the valve cover gasket, eccentric shaft sensor gasket, valvtronic motor gasket, and oil filter housing gasket. After putting everything back together I tried to start the car and it cranked but never started.

So after doing some research, I thought it might be something to do with the valvetronic motor. So I followed the procedure online on the removal and reinstallation. I turned it clockwise till resistance removed, reinstalled and then counterclockwise till resistance. After that I turned the car to run without starting twice, and then tried to start it. This time it started but in limp mode. So I then decided to buy a inpa cable.

So I got the cable today and loaded the inpa. When I read the error history, I get the 2A3For p1056 error code and a 10871 error but it says unknown location. It also says VVTvoltage supply 0.00 v under the 2A3F code. And this is where I am at now. I'm not really sure where to go next, the car ran flawlessly before changing the gaskets minus the small oil leak, but no cel, or any issues.

Any help would be massively appreciated! Thank you!
    -Mike

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If it ran fine before you started you need to check all your work, are the grounds connected to the valve cover bolts is every thing actually snapped together. Recheck every thing.

My Cars
    09 328i
    Well I'm an idiot. Turns out it was fuse in the power distribution box on the battery. When I was taking off the egr valve an extension bumped the terminal, and I thought everything was ok because everything else worked I didn't realize it was separate. Tested it real quick and it runs perfect so I'll be picking one up tomorrow. Thanks very much for responding, hopefully I won't make such dumb moves in the future lol.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It's always a learning process, now you have more info the next adventure

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30
    i found this article that may be useful, but it seems to be written for U.K. Diesels:
    https://hyperchips.co.uk/bmw-mini-ex...-egr-problems/

..."..Because EGR valves deal with dirty air, over time the valve can become clogged with carbon deposits that prevent it from operating properly.
    While every vehicle fitted with an EGR valve is at risk, over the last 3 years we have seen a significant rise in the number of diesel BMW and Mini owners with EGR valve problems. All BMW engines from 2004-present (16d, 18d, 20d, 25d, 30d, 35d and 40d) are susceptible to EGR valve failure and the 1.6d and 2.0d engines are the same as in the Mini range, so there’s failure in these cars too. Symptoms of EGR failure include:

• Lumpy idling;
    • Reduced throttle response;
    • Hesitancy to accelerate;
    • Stalling;
    • Knocking noises from the engine area;
    • Complete engine failure (won’t start).

And warning signs of failure include: Engine management light on dashboard.
    If you are experiencing any of these signs or symptoms with your BMW or Mini, then it could be the EGR valve that is at fault. The good news is that there’s a cost-effective solution to complete EGR failure, and it doesn’t require the removal of the old part.

Read any fault codes related with the EGR valve. OBD code P0401 is problem with either the DPF or EGR.
    Further analysis will reveal the exact reason as to why your car isn’t running as it should.

A solution is to delete the section of software on the ECU that tells the EGR valve to operate, and the section of software that allows the sensors on the EGR valve to communicate with the ECU – then reprogram the ECU to compensate for the loss of this component.

So the EGR valve itself effectively becomes a dead part.

EGR software delete for BMW and Mini diesel engines
    There’s 2 advantages to mapping out the software versus physically replacing the EGR valve:
    1. Deleting the software is a lot cheaper, and;
    2. Deleting the software is a permanent fix – remember that replacing the EGR valve with a new one does not guarantee it will not fail like its predecessor.
    Furthermore, both the physical removal of the EGR valve and the deleting of EGR software is 100% MOT compliant – in fact, the EGR valve doesn’t even form a part of the current MOT test (19/10/2015). This may be tightened up in the future, but even if it is, it’s unlikely to be applied retrospectively (on older cars)..."...
    Rod Lequerica. - Miami FL
    2009 BMW 328i E90 LCI Sedan Type PH77
    Engine: 6cyl 3lt N52B30A - Auto Trans: GM GA6L45R
    VIN WBAPH775X9NM Plus 5 last serial numbers
    EL_LEQUE_DELAE@YAHOO.COM
    +1 (786) 239 1329)

My Cars
    09 328i
    turned out to be this guy

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/61146971370/

but thanks so much for the response

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Hi Mtsciotto, did you place your ignitions in the same order while putting back all the components which were touched by replacing the valve cover gasket? They have to be in the right order. I found this a very helpful instruction video to replace the valve cover gasket. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=xG0fHVKk5bE

Also, it could be that you leaked oil on the ignition motor while not noticing? This video is about the power steering filter but if you probably know the oil filter is next to it. What the video show is that you really have to be careful with fluids since the ignition is just underneath these two filters. The guy is talking about it at 1:20 min. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ZGG_CAORBns

Goodluck!

Mtsciotto