Thread: Wheel color opinion - factory vs. not

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe

Wheel color opinion - factory vs. not

Hello all,

About a year ago, I had my Roadstars powdercoated a shade of medium gold similar to that on Subaru WRX STi. That proved to be an interesting experiment. I thought they would look OK on a Boston Green car but....... I'm about to have them recoated likely in OEM silver, but possibly in Chrome Shadow. The shop that does the work says they can do a reasonable facsimile of the finish. I tend to believe them as they work for a prominent Ohio based BMW reseller, but haven't seen one in person.

I have thoughts of selling the car within a couple of years. Stay with OEM or go Chrome Shadow?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I like the silver better, but many like chrome shadow. If I were looking for a car, either wheel would work and not detract from the value of the car.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    z3
    Cant imagine either OEM finish affecting value except maybe on the most mint collector cars out there...

My Cars
    01 M Roadster
    Im currently trying to get a set of chrome shadow wheels to bring my car back to stock (2001). The original wheels were stripped and polished. I have a second set of silver. My car is oxford green. I like the regular silver and am nervous that CS will be too dark with the dark paint. But my real problem is finding a shop to do real CS. A local shop, recommended on this forum stopped doing CS. Another about 60 miles away does a 1 step powder coat imitation CS. I don't have any leads for shops in CA that do black powder coated and translucent silver paint. Is your shop doing that or one step darker silver powder coat?

Chhers, John

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude72 View Post
    Hello all,

About a year ago, I had my Roadstars powdercoated a shade of medium gold similar to that on Subaru WRX STi. That proved to be an interesting experiment. I thought they would look OK on a Boston Green car but....... I'm about to have them recoated likely in OEM silver, but possibly in Chrome Shadow. The shop that does the work says they can do a reasonable facsimile of the finish. I tend to believe them as they work for a prominent Ohio based BMW reseller, but haven't seen one in person.

I have thoughts of selling the car within a couple of years. Stay with OEM or go Chrome Shadow?

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    John,

I believe they are doing a two step chrome shadow. I haven't talked to them in over a year, and I don't recall. I'll call them today.

TD

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    So where in Ohio are they located and what do they charge to powdercoat? I'm looking to have a spare set of Roadstars refinished and live in Kent, near Cleveland.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    For a chrome shadow powder coat, it’s a 3 step refinishing procedure. I redid my hyper silver road stars a few years ago to chrome shadow and have been very pleased.

Ralph, if you don’t mind shipping, my guy does great work. I don’t have any Ohio trips planned to swing by and pick them up any time soon.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    z3
    My shop does a gloss black powdercoat base then mixes a clearcoat with a silver paint to spray on to create the shadowchrome effect. Then a clearcoat on top. It's not exactly the same as OE, but I doubt most would be able to tell the difference.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    So where in Ohio are they located and what do they charge to powdercoat? I'm looking to have a spare set of Roadstars refinished and live in Kent, near Cleveland.
    MB,

They are in Dayton.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Update- the chrome shadow finish Rimworks (Dayton OH) does is a two step black/silver process.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Do you have a photo of the wheels, I have an Estoril Blue M and I think gold would look great, it would be like a WRX look

Hello all,

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Here's a pic-

Coupe.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, here's a pic of Rimwork's chrome shadow-

Attachment 623237

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Dude, can you try posting the chrome shadow again? I’d really like to see what they look like.

Thanks

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Let me try that again-

coupe wheel - cs.jpg

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Here's a pic-

Coupe.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, here's a pic of Rimwork's chrome shadow-

Attachment 623237
    That dark green and gold works for me. I actually think that it looks better then CS with dark green. I would just swap the center cap BMW logo for German flag colors version (if such thing exist). I think that is what is throwing it off. And while at it, replace all BMW logos to yellow/red/black German version. I think that would look pretty good.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    I like a lot, do you have any on the car? I also have a Boston Green roady, id like to see how they look on the car.

Thanks

My Cars
    z3
    Shadowchrome looks better on everything, trust me. I's just a cooler finish than hypersilver. It accents the curves of the roadstars more thanks to the greater variance in the finish due to the painting process. It has more "depth" - yet it's not so dark as to hide the wheel design or look aftermarket, but it's different than the hypersilver finish you see on literally *every* car

When a stock BMW wheel comes hypersilver, it looks better shadowchrome. There are no exceptions to this rule. Shadowchrome M-pars, Style 42's or 5's with shadowchrome centers. Seriously - try to think of a BMW wheel that looks better in hypersilver in shadowchrome. Are you thinking of one? No you aren't, liar. There are none, they all look better in shadowchrome.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Shadowchrome looks better on everything, trust me. I's just a cooler finish than hypersilver. It accents the curves of the roadstars more thanks to the greater variance in the finish due to the painting process. It has more "depth" - yet it's not so dark as to hide the wheel design or look aftermarket, but it's different than the hypersilver finish you see on literally *every* car

When a stock BMW wheel comes hypersilver, it looks better shadowchrome. There are no exceptions to this rule. Shadowchrome M-pars, Style 42's or 5's with shadowchrome centers. Seriously - try to think of a BMW wheel that looks better in hypersilver in shadowchrome. Are you thinking of one? No you aren't, liar. There are none, they all look better in shadowchrome.
    I think you may be right...

Even this LaFerrari (upon which I drooled for hours) looks better in Shadow Chrome:

IMG_20171107_223119re.jpg

That being said, I still like the brightness of Hyper Silver.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    That dark green and gold works for me. I actually think that it looks better then CS with dark green. I would just swap the center cap BMW logo for German flag colors version (if such thing exist). I think that is what is throwing it off. And while at it, replace all BMW logos to yellow/red/black German version. I think that would look pretty good.
    Might as well go all out, and get the Rolls Royce grill and P100 headlights too...

[/superfly]

Chrome Shadow looks great on my steel gray ('01) M Rdstr, but I still prefer Hyper Silver for my Estoril M Coupe and Cosmos Black M Rdstr (both are '99s).

It's not as though I'm opposed to modifications, and currently, my '01 has Anthracite/polished SSR Comps on it__but I still think the Roadstars look better.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveG66 View Post
    I like a lot, do you have any on the car? I also have a Boston Green roady, id like to see how they look on the car.

Thanks
    Steve,

The pic of chrome shadow I have isn't my wheel, just one I found of Rimworks' work. They did the gold wheels on my car, but it turns out I'm not a fan, so I will probably have them do the CS within a couple of months. I'll post pics of them when I have them done.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    For a chrome shadow powder coat, it’s a 3 step refinishing procedure. I redid my hyper silver road stars a few years ago to chrome shadow and have been very pleased.
    Chris, mind posting pics of the Boston Green with chrome shadow?