Thread: Power steering hose leaking

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL

Power steering hose leaking

Hi,
    I have a leaking hose that goes from the pressure regulator to the steering box that I can't find a diagram for so I can get the part number and get it replaced.20171127_013842.jpg
    Its the lower hose in the photo with the pressure switch above it.
    The fluid is seeping from the hose itself and getting on everything.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I believe it is 32 41 1 139 507. The picture is not going to look the parts diagram so you need to look at the second parts diagram for hydro steering there you will see the regulator and the hose going to the steering box. The other diagram is for power steering with out the regulator I looked it up on realoem for a 1/1988 750il, if you enter in the last seven of the vin then look at the diagram to verify the part number.

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Thanks,
    I don't have the accumulator attached to the regulator my system is like this here.
    Untitled.jpgand of course it doesn't show the hose in that pic.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    That picture is in group 34 brakes look in group 32 steering

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    The picture was only used to show the connection my hose goes to. It connects to the #18 on the pic. I am curious though what that round object is that the #16 hose is attached to in the steering section illustration as they don't give it a number.

I am getting the hoses re-built here today so hopefully my leak problems will be over.

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Had them replaced and now the steering is hard to turn and the brake pressure warning would come on when I was driving home while applying the brakes for more than a few seconds so I am wondering if any of the hoses have built in check valves that got thrown away in the old hoses. The hoses with the fittings were re crimped with new hoses.IMG-20171129-WA0000[1].jpg

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    as far as I know there are no check valves in the lines. On my 98 E36 M3 there is a check valve, but not on all built years, that check valve is just for the return line to the power steering canister, as in some cases of extreme driving the container would overflow from the return line.
    I would check for kinked hoses where the fluid is limited to flow. Also check in realoem parts catalog for the places where the washers go on the banjo bolts. Some have 2 washers, some maybe one, so if there is something missing or too many washers, the hole in the banjo bolt might be half closed.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Good idea on the banjo bolts. I will be bringing the car back to the mechanics on Thursday to look everything over again. I wasn't there when they crimped the new hoses onto the old fittings so I didn't see the inside diameter of the hoses but one of the crimps might also be bad. The banjos on the steering box both had 2 washers but the others I will check.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    here some picks what we found on a car I once bought, banjo bolts tightened too much and cracked http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1263084/

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Those were pulled to change the hoses and they looked good. The over torquing is probably because they tried to re use the old washers.
    Interesting to see that though. I'm sure BMW has a torque value for every bolt on the car besides good n tight.

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    On the way to the mechanics I drove the car around 4 am 2 weeks ago when there aren't any cars on the road and just before I got there I put the car in neutral and revved to about 6000 rpm and the power steering cleared and worked as it should and also the brakes. They looked at it and said the steering box was now leaking. I went back after a few days and I drove the car to the original mechanic who changed the steering box and pump and he said the person who he turned the car over to was not in the country but went on vacation back to Syria.The shop has been shuttered for a couple of weeks so he is gone. He also put the power steering pump from the junkyard here also and broke the mounting bracket in the process so its not stable and you can move it about 1/4 of an inch. Bottom line is the leak is so bad there is about a one foot puddle under the car after about idling for 5 minutes and trying to see where it is coming from. It looks like the box for sure but I can't tell how. The mechanic from Syria also took the old pump (3 pipe) and put on the smaller 2 pipe pump and got rid of the loop for the 3rd pipe. I had deleted the hyd shocks several years ago and the 3rd pipe was looped. Since he is gone there isn't a way to open his shop and look for the old parts.
    I am just going to leave it parked and find new parts when I go back to Arizona for vacation and check the yards there and Cali, then come back to work here in Kuwait with good parts and get the car fixed in March. I also have to figure out what to do about the broken bracket. I don't know if the bracket is the same for the 2 and 3 pipe pumps. The system pics on real oem show a support bracket for the 3 pipe pump that is gone on my car. It doesn't show how the front bolt bracket is so I don't know if it is part of the block or can be easily replaced.
    I also left out another tidbit, when the steering box was originally being changed, they removed the drivers side air box to get better access to everything and in the process left the PCV hose off the head and ran the car for I don't know how long like that and it seems like they might have burned a couple of valves cause it has a very rough idle and when disconnecting injector plugs on there drivers side , there is a dead cylinder.
    Last edited by f00g0057; 12-21-2017 at 09:18 AM.

My Cars
    11/87 735i & 735il P/C
    Yikes, that is a series of unfortunate events. I hope you get it back on the road before March! Best of luck.
    1983 4-spd Mercedes 240d w/403k - Sold!

11/87 E32 735iA w/45k - Daily Driver (finally!)

04/88 E32 735iL - Parts Car

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Thanks but I am going to let it sit until I return in March with parts from the USA.

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Update: I started the car after work to keep the battery charged and shined a strong flashlight on the steering box and saw that there was a straight stream of fluid trickling out of the outboard larger banjo bolt on the box. I brought the car to a different mechanic who works down the street and he changed the washers and it fixed that leak. When I got in the car to go home from work there was still a leak from some where and he found that one under the drivers air cleaner box where the hoses go to the cooling line which was a clamp that wasn't tight enough. Now the only leak is a minuscule one from the pump that I will leave until I get a new pump and brackets on vacation.
    I should note that there are very few E32's on the road here in Kuwait as the people here change cars like we change shoes and the older cars require a yearly inspection by two inspectors to pass. If I was not American but a third country national they would have told me long ago that the car is too old and wouldn't pass it. I also have a 1988 Toyota Supra with a 1JZGTE and a big turbo which is my fun car.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    There are power steering pump repair kits for the 750, here pics on the first one we did 10 years ago http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/526913/
    Ebay: for example : Power Steering Pump Seal Kit Edelmann number 8841

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Thanks for the info on rebuild kits. I have a rebuilt 750 pump that was ready to be installed but the other mechanics put a different smaller pump on there with only 2 pipes and tossed the rear bracket for the 750 and the front mount on the two pipe is cracked. I will look for some junk yard brackets in the USA and figure out a loop system for the 750 3rd pipe if I go that route or just keep the 2 pipe smaller pump which is working good.