Thread: Suspension refresh 2006 X3 sport with 155k, what to do?

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3

Suspension refresh 2006 X3 sport with 155k, what to do?

Hi there,

My 2006 X3 with the sport package is approaching 155k and it's about time to do the brakes again, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to do a complete suspension refresh as well as any other preventative maintenance items you think it's time for. The only real issue I notice besides an increasingly harsh ride is a kind of clunk from the rear end as I'm braking and pulling in to park in my driveway that slants down somewhat.

At this point my list (with extras) includes:

Rotors/pads/sensors
    Bilstein struts/shocks (thought on the black cheaper ones vs the yellow/blue hd ones)
    Oxygen sensors
    Brake fluid
    Transfer case fluid
    oil change
    Inspect cooling system (did it at 120k)

What should I flat out just plan on replacing and what should I inspect while I'm there? I'm on Maui so parts availability is pretty nonexistent, want to just order it once if possible. Think it's time to do any other fluids?

Thanks!

Lyle
    Last edited by lylefk; 11-25-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    2006 X3 - Sport, premium, loaded minus nav.
    1992 325IC - Hardtop, windscreen, 134k miles - sold
    2005 X3 - sold
    2002 325i convertible - sold

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    I have a 2006 X3 and recently completed a suspension refresh that included:

Rear - Bilstein Springs, Shocks (Black) and Meyle Stablizers
    Front - Bilstein Shocks, Meyle Control Arms, Myle Ball Joints, Meyle Tie Rods and Meyle Stablizer

I purchased most of the parts on eBay at a significant discount. The car feels like new after the work. AutoDocs on YouTube has a bunch if great installation videos. The only problem I had was on the front suspension. the bolt that holds the shock into the hub has frozen to the hub and I had to heat the bolt to get it out. I live in the north east where rust is always a problem on jobs that involve undercarriage components. Broken rear springs are common on the E83 (both were broken my vehicle) Good luck

My Cars
    '06 BMW X3
    I did similar to above, but did not replace springs. Bilstein HD shocks all 4 corners. Myle HD everywhere. Did NOT do the tie rods or CV joints as all seemed well. DO NOT attempt the sway bar or sway bar bushings as they seemed more involved than I wanted. i.e. jacking up the engine, lowering the subframe, etc. No thanks.

Be prepared to beat the living crap out of things to get them off and hammer out ball joints, etc.

I liked buying from FCP Euro. ECS Tuning has a lot but I did not get good shipping service and had to cancel a big order. Turner Motorsport and Pelican Parts are good, along with BavAuto.