Thread: What do you guys use for BMW diagnostics?

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline

What do you guys use for BMW diagnostics?

INPA, ISTA, e-sys, etc.?

Well, I made a mobile app called Carista that can do BMW-specific diagnostics A LOT more easily than any other tool. It's literally a 1-click action as I show in the video below:

Mods: if you believe this post is inappropriate, please contact me. I'm willing to do paid advertising here, but no one is responding to my requests.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Sounds Cool. Is it just the F series? Work on any other series?

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Yeah, it works on all E6x, E7x, E8x and E9x models too, except E83 and E85/86 because those use older electronics. And all F-chassis models, of course

Full BMW support matrix here: https://caristaapp.com/bmw

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by todor View Post
    Yeah, it works on all E6x, E7x, E8x and E9x models too, except E83 and E85/86 because those use older electronics. And all F-chassis models, of course

Full BMW support matrix here: https://caristaapp.com/bmw

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Whata the difference between this and carly? I use carly for my E60. But I'm always interested in learning and playing with new "toys" lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    We're competitors The difference is that Carista is a lot easier to use: it's literally a 1-click action to read the fault codes from all ECUs in the car. There's no Bluetooth setup, there's no need to enter what car you have or pick individual ECUs. All of that is done automatically in Carista. In carly - not so much. Same deal with coding (if your car is supported): a lot easier in Carista. Give it a try

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    We're competitors The difference is that Carista is a lot easier to use: it's literally a 1-click action to read the fault codes from all ECUs in the car. There's no Bluetooth setup, there's no need to enter what car you have or pick individual ECUs. All of that is done automatically in Carista. In carly - not so much. Same deal with coding (if your car is supported): a lot easier in Carista. Give it a try
    I took a look last night and carista doesn't support my year for coding. 07 E60 525xi. So I will stick to my carly, unless you want to send me a dongle to try and change my mind lol..

My Cars
    F30 335i ActiveHybrid 3
    I have been using Carista since 2015. It's a great app and way to code. But doesn't do coding such as tyre temps or enhanced Bluetooth.

I did email about the functionalities a few months ago but was told might be something that can't be done in the app.

Also Carista on my F30 can only do basic changes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick91303 View Post
    I took a look last night and carista doesn't support my year for coding. 07 E60 525xi. So I will stick to my carly, unless you want to send me a dongle to try and change my mind lol..
    Do you know the build date of your car? If it's 03/2007 or newer (I think the facelift started there too), then it's supported for coding as well... even though we officially claim 2008+, to avoid confusion. The carly adapter should work with the Carista app too, I think. I'm not sure if they properly support the ELM327 spec, but in any case, it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by J306TD View Post
    I have been using Carista since 2015. It's a great app and way to code. But doesn't do coding such as tyre temps or enhanced Bluetooth.

I did email about the functionalities a few months ago but was told might be something that can't be done in the app.

Also Carista on my F30 can only do basic changes.
    What do you mean by tyre temps or enhanced Bluetooth? If you're retrofitting hardware, then no, we don't do that (yet). But if you just want to change coding on your existing car, we should be able to do it.

About the F30: we've just released BMW-specific diagnostics for it (last week!) and we're working on adding coding for it as well. In fact, we have coding working in our beta-test version. Are you interested in trying it?

My Cars
    F30 335i ActiveHybrid 3
    What do you mean by tyre temps or enhanced Bluetooth? If you're retrofitting hardware, then no, we don't do that (yet). But if you just want to change coding on your existing car, we should be able to do it.

About the F30: we've just released BMW-specific diagnostics for it (last week!) and we're working on adding coding for it as well. In fact, we have coding working in our beta-test version. Are you interested in trying it?
    You can get they tyre temperature to show in the idrive when you check the air pressure.

Already have the hardware for enhanced Bluetooth. But just wasn't ticked as an option.

I believe I'm already beta testing the app

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Do you know the build date of your car? If it's 03/2007 or newer (I think the facelift started there too), then it's supported for coding as well... even though we officially claim 2008+, to avoid confusion. The carly adapter should work with the Carista app too, I think. I'm not sure if they properly support the ELM327 spec, but in any case, it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

It's a pre-lci model.

My Cars
    not an e30
    Can you use a third party OBDII adapter?

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    You can get they tyre temperature to show in the idrive when you check the air pressure.

Already have the hardware for enhanced Bluetooth. But just wasn't ticked as an option.

I believe I'm already beta testing the app
    Well, then you'll be happy to hear that as of a couple of days ago, we added a gazillion new customizations for the CIC navigation. We also have the tire stuff for the CCC navigation in beta. Which one do you have? I'll look into the Bluetooth option as well, but I'm not sure I know exactly what you're referring to. Are you talking about audio streaming? I guess we should start with what car you have (incl. year), what version of the iDrive you have (CCC, CIC, etc.). In general, whatever is possible through coding should be possible in Carista.

It's a pre-lci model.
    oh well, you do get BMW diagnostics in Carista even for the pre-LCI model, but unfortunately no coding. I believe even the carly adapter doesn't do coding wirelessly on those cars - you have to have a physical cable, right?

Quote Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
    Can you use a third party OBDII adapter?
    Yes, definitely! Any ELM327 v1.4 or newer should work. Just beware of shitty ones that claim to support ELM327, but don't really. I even wrote a blog about that: https://blog.caristaapp.com/the-trut...s-e98ddf022bf8

My Cars
    F30 335i ActiveHybrid 3
    Well, then you'll be happy to hear that as of a couple of days ago, we added a gazillion new customizations for the CIC navigation. We also have the tire stuff for the CCC navigation in beta. Which one do you have? I'll look into the Bluetooth option as well, but I'm not sure I know exactly what you're referring to. Are you talking about audio streaming? I guess we should start with what car you have (incl. year), what version of the iDrive you have (CCC, CIC, etc.). In general, whatever is possible through coding should be possible in Carista.

I have the Professional NBT version. Car is 2014 F30 335i AH3.

It's audio streaming and text message function

Last edited by J306TD; 11-26-2017 at 02:11 PM.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ

oh well, you do get BMW diagnostics in Carista even for the pre-LCI model, but unfortunately no coding. I believe even the carly adapter doesn't do coding wirelessly on those cars - you have to have a physical cable, right?

Yes, definitely! Any ELM327 v1.4 or newer should work. Just beware of shitty ones that claim to support ELM327, but don't really. I even wrote a blog about that: https://blog.caristaapp.com/the-trut...s-e98ddf022bf8
    Oh I can and have done coding with my carly. My parking lites as my DRL and stuff like that..

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    I have the Professional NBT version. Car is 2014 F30 335i AH3.

It's audio streaming and text message function
    Ah, ok, I thought you also had an E-chassis car and were talking about that. About the NBT, then: we're working on support for it in general, and then we'll start implementing specific settings.

Oh I can and have done coding with my carly. My parking lites as my DRL and stuff like that..
    Is that done with a Bluetooth adapter? Or WiFi? Or a cabled USB adapter?

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328xi
    the Carly is a good one I love mine

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Ah, ok, I thought you also had an E-chassis car and were talking about that. About the NBT, then: we're working on support for it in general, and then we'll start implementing specific settings.

Is that done with a Bluetooth adapter? Or WiFi? Or a cabled USB adapter?
    Bluetooth adaptor.

My Cars
    F30 335i ActiveHybrid 3
    Any updates to come for the F30