Thread: Pull-Out Loading Floor Stuck

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it

Pull-Out Loading Floor Stuck

Still relatively new to Bimmerforums. Just got a 99 528i wagon. The owner's manual said that in order to pull out the loading floor I have to lift the handle up and pull the floor straight out. It doesn't budge. I traced around the floor and looked at realoem to see what I might be missing. Also, unless its under other search words that I can't think of I can't seem to find any answers here or thru a google search. I am thinking its supposed to have additional cargo space beneath the floor and a spare tire? Although I don't even remember if the owner's manual even mentions a spare tire. Anyway, hoping someone might have an idea on how to pull out the stuck loading floor.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Roadster 2.5l
    There is a way to lock that section in my '99 540i. Maybe double check that it's unlocked?

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    The door? Yes. All the doors are unlocked including the trunk/hatch. Studying realoem and there are right and left loading lock bars. I'm not sure what they are for but they must be below the cargo floor since I don't see a way to access them. Although I doubt if they have anything to do with the cargo floor not being able to pull out. They must be used to prevent the floor from being overextended when pulled out.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    There is only one latch and that is the handle on the bumper side of the floor. To make sure we are talking about a roll out floor, your does have the two parallel chrome like bars that the 3/4 plywood floor sits on? There are two locking bars that are released by the latch handle. Yours maybe broken, full of trash so it can not release. You will need to fish hook them with a wire coat hanger. See Real OEM for illustration http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_3844

Left loading floor lock bar 1 09/1999 51478238911 $35.13
    14 Right loading floor lock bar
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    There is only one latch and that is the handle on the bumper side of the floor. To make sure we are talking about a roll out floor, your does have the two parallel chrome like bars that the 3/4 plywood floor sits on? There are two locking bars that are released by the latch handle. Yours maybe broken, full of trash so it can not release. You will need to fish hook them with a wire coat hanger. See Real OEM for illustration http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_3844

Left loading floor lock bar 1 09/1999 51478238911 $35.13
    14 Right loading floor lock bar
    I think we are on the same page here. I try to lift up the loading floor handle (12) and pull straight out. Doesn't budge. I saw and considered the loading floor lock bars on realoem but wasn't sure of its purpose. I couldn't see the bars since the floor is stuck and there wasn't enough light last night. I found on another forum that suggested sticking a flat tool (ie butter knife) below the loading floor to release a latch. I'm hoping it's not broken as you suggested. If so, another frustrated owner in another forum said he just yanked the floor straight up on each side of the latch. The latch broke but his only concerned at that point was the floor sliding out when parked uphill. I'm gonna try fishing for that latch again this morning.

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    Big question is "Do you even have a pull out floor?" This is a very rare option in the USA. but it is in the Owners Manual.

Here is pictures of the two handles that could be in the car.

Without the Roll Our Floor: The white towel is there to keep my dogs from scratching the bumper as they get in and out.
    20171125_140013.jpg20171125_141320.jpg
    If this is what you have and the handle pulls up but you can not get the panel to lift there are really two possibilities. 1 it is locked take the key and unlock it. 2. the latch is broken and that makes it very difficult to get out. I don't know of anyone that has been able to get it out if the latch is busted without destroying the floor

With Roll Out Floor:
    E39 roll out floor 1.jpgE39 roll out floor.jpg
    Last edited by schatzy62; 11-25-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    Quote Originally Posted by schatzy62 View Post
    Big question is "Do you even have a pull out floor?" This is a very rare option in the USA. but it is in the Owners Manual.

Here is pictures of the two handles that could be in the car.

Without the Roll Our Floor: The white towel is there to keep my dogs from scratching the bumper as they get in and out.
    20171125_140013.jpg20171125_141320.jpg
    If this is what you have and the handle pulls up but you can not get the panel to lift there are really two possibilities. 1 it is locked take the key and unlock it. 2. the latch is broken and that makes it very difficult to get out. I don't know of anyone that has been able to get it out if the latch is busted without destroying the floor

With Roll Out Floor:
    E39 roll out floor 1.jpgE39 roll out floor.jpg
    Yes. I have the roll-out floor. My handle looks like the one you've shown that has a diagram. I can actually see the spare wheel when I peer beneath the floor platform. I just tried the butter-knife suggestion. I can feel something catch on but floor doesn't unlock. The right side of the cargo floor feels it has more give when I lift it. It feels more like the left side of the floor is still locked in place. I suspect that the latch is in fact broken. I was trying to see if I can unscrew the side rails but it looks like the cargo floor is secured independent of the rails. Can anybody with working cargo floor removal confirm this?

What I don't understand is what engages/disengages the latch that controls the lock bars? I only see and have a handle that supposed to be lifted and pull straight out.
    Last edited by 2WD; 11-25-2017 at 02:40 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    Here is an ebay listing that shows all the parts. I dont know if seeing the real parts not a bmw parts listing may help.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-5-S...-/122422134797
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    Quote Originally Posted by schatzy62 View Post
    Here is an ebay listing that shows all the parts. I dont know if seeing the real parts not a bmw parts listing may help.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-5-S...-/122422134797
    Thanks. Pretty ingenious way of visualizing parts instead of via an exploded diagram. Looks like the floor is secured independently from rails. The floor just rolls over it. The lock bars appear to be located beneath the floor towards rear of car covered by protective covering. The picture is too dark on my screen to still see how it engages and disengages but I can see how the butter knife suggestion works. Guess I'm gonna keep trying that method. Even with a broken latch there has to be some way to move lock bars.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Gotta love crappy sellers "COMPLETE" in caps, then "oh, missing piece of aluminum..." Well its not "complete" then is it? I think it could also be missing those lock bars.. though as noted its too dark to see whats underneath.

I've never gotten nitty gritty with one in person so afraid I can't help... curious option, some guys absolutely love it, seems like most end up "meh" about it. I could see being in the latter... takes up a little extra vertical space, rattles when unloaded... There was a time I thought I might try to track one down but not anymore. Anyway.... good luck...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Gotta love crappy sellers "COMPLETE" in caps, then "oh, missing piece of aluminum..." Well its not "complete" then is it? I think it could also be missing those lock bars.. though as noted its too dark to see whats underneath.

I've never gotten nitty gritty with one in person so afraid I can't help... curious option, some guys absolutely love it, seems like most end up "meh" about it. I could see being in the latter... takes up a little extra vertical space, rattles when unloaded... There was a time I thought I might try to track one down but not anymore. Anyway.... good luck...
    Yah I know, right? Then there is the catch all caveat in the end: "AS IS" Anyway, something is locking the floor down. If not lock bars then what else? Well, I'm considering leaving it be too. Nothing rattling in there so nothing to be annoyed about in meantime. The battery is apparently still strong. While I can see it and access the terminals from the side panel I'm hoping that I can pull it out without having to lift cargo floor when the time comes for me to change it.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Yeah, you can remove the battery without touching the floor. I have that floor.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah that would bug the crap outa me tho'... I'd have to fix it...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '13 328i E93; '99 528it
    So I was just going to let the floor be since apparently i could get access to the battery without removing the extendable floor. Now, however, a passenger side tail light bulb went out. I can't seem to access the tail light assembly without having to remove floor.
    I stuck an endoscope underneath the loading floor and found that when the lift handle is pulled up there is a hook mechanism underneath. I wonder if that was supposed to pull on something? Realoem has these lock bars that cross the floor beneath it but couldnt tell how the lift handle "unlocks" the bar. Couldnt find anything om Google Image last time I checked and the pics on the eBay UK listing wasnt very clear. Wonder if anyone that has the extendable cargo floor might share a clear pic of it? Or better yet, share any insight on how it unlocks.
    As a last resort, I might just cut it open. I read somewhere someone converting it to a standard floor.
    Thanks guys!