Thread: Help with oil leak

My Cars
    335i msport

Help with oil leak

Oil leak onto or from fitting on passenger side on converter. Either dripping on or leaking from a fitting on the exhaust. I will try to get a pic later. Smokes really bad. Not sure if it’s the cat or not

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Is the oil dripping down the outside of the pipe, or from the inside? Is it smoking from the engine bay or the tail pipe?
    Leaks from inside the exhaust would be turbo or valve stem seals.
    Leaks onto the exhaust would be valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, real main seal, or oil filter housing gasket.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Probably it is the valve cover gasket. Maybe this movie will give you some insight what you will come across while replacing the valve cover gasket. Actually, it is quite simple to DIY. Putting it back on can be a hassle if you don't be careful. Goodluck! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0fHVKk5bE&t=510s&list=PLKFFHfPGbvm9w7pfN OxaVSTc1qL16erDS&index=1

My Cars
    2009 335i
    I had what seems like the exact same oil leak you are talking about. I couldn't see where the oil was coming from from above or below or with a mirror but I had oil dripping down onto the cat the most forward cat. The oil was also puddling a little on the heat shield to the passenger side of the cat. Mine was smoking and smelled badly of burning oil. There was no oil on the plastic panel at all. I replaced my valve cover gasket thanksgiving weekend and wiped everything clean where oil was leaking and haven't had any leaks since. While it has nothing to do with a leak at the back of the engine I changed out my oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler to OFH gasket at the same time.
    It is not technically difficult but there are a couple bolts at the back that are not real easy to access. And you need a long 10MM socket to get the ground studs for the fuel injectors off. I have several 10mm deep well sockets that were not even close to being long enough to get them off but I bought a super long 10MM thanks to guys on the forum letting me know it was needed and if I hadn't had that I would have been screwed. I am not sure ir that 10MM is something that you might be able to borrow from an auto parts store but you will need one. You will probably also want a torque wrench that does inch pounds to torque down the bolts correctly.
    I would also recommend buying a set of spark plug tubes too, I would imagine with a pair of the right size snap ring pliers they could be removed without mutilating them but I tried using a couple small pick tools and I lost patience getting them out and just bent them to get them out because I had bought a set. It is also a good time to change out your PCV valve.
    ECS tuning has a really good DIY for this also. http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...eplacement.pdf