RM European Auto Parts

Thread: # 3 Misfire

My Cars
    X5 50i, 135i N54

# 3 Misfire

Hi Guys,

I drive a E70 BMW X5 50i N63. So was driving as normal just decided to accelerate a bit, felt a slight hesitation then huge warning in yellow reduced power malfunction and it started missing. Switched of started up again misfire gone. Got home pulled the codes showed # 1&5 combustion cylinder misfire. Cleared errors. Drove the whole day car was fine. Next morning started acting up again. So I pulled codes, now it’s #3 combustion cylinder misfire. Swoped plugs and coil packs around from #3 to #1. Went for a drive goes into limp mode again with misfire. Switch of the on again take a slow drive back home. Pulled the codes and it’s still showing #3 misfire.

So I figure it’s a faulty injector. I got a new coil pack, 8 spark plugs and an injector. Replaced all plugs and in cylinder #3 new injector and coil pack. Coded injector and test drove. Same problem. Pulled codes #3 misfire. Now I’m stumped. Any help please.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Have you tried a leak-down test on that cylinder yet? Also a borescope afterwards wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Next I would look at live data to see what is going on in that cylinder as you accelerate. Is your diagnostic tool capable of doing such?
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Weird. I really doubt it in this case but after decades in sw engineering, I have been burned more than once by a misleading, incomplete, or lying error log or message due to an edge case fault. I would check the resistance on the original #3 coil pack and reference against the others including the new one. Look at the results. If the original #3 is out of spec and all the others are in spec, that's a culprit plus something else. Its' a remote possibility that a combination of factors is causing the sw to report #3 when in fact it's not. I doubt it but I've seen weird stuff before. The symptoms sure sound like a coil pack went south.

My Cars
    1997 m3
    You can check by unplugging each coil pack while running and see which one makes little to no difference in idle when unplugged.

My Cars
    X5 50i, 135i N54
    My Tech has a tool that can do live testing. So will get that done and see what happens. I’m crossing fingers that my engine doesn’t have to come out. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Just thinking if it could be DME issue reporting #3

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I don't think so, as it has a specific parameters to fall in before it sets the code.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Here are a couple of thoughts for you:

1) The electrical plug for the newer style coils must be firmly assisted onto the coil. Gently pushing it on, and letting the lever/clip draw it into place is insufficient.
    2) For this complex engine, the only diagnostic computers worth a damn are ISTA and Autologic....and I personally would use ISTA, because it will do a guided test plan.
    3) Intake passages perhaps clogged with soot?
    4) I don't know whether it exists where you are, but in the US, BMW has a "customer care package" for cars with this engine. It's almost like a recall, in that they do a bunch of work for free . because a bunch of stuff fails. Read this:
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ns-bmw-n63-v8/

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471