Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E92 Installed Front Camera & Backup Camera

My Cars
    2011 BMW E92

E92 Installed Front Camera & Backup Camera

Background: In August, my wife purchased a 2017 Honda CR-V Touring which came equipped with a backup camera. This was my first experience with a backup camera. As an old guy with an arthritic neck, I appreciate the convenience.

So In October, I purchased a BimmerTech front camera and rear camera for my 2011 E92. Kies Motorsports of NJ did a superb job with on-site home installation. The cameras integrate with the BMW electronics and screen. The front camera (located in the lower grill) is a parking aid; it's not a "dash cam." The system works perfectly. The display quality is great.

The system with installation was expensive, but I intend to keep my car for, at least, another five years. My neck thanks me every time I backup.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Have a link to this unit? (Pricing, options, etc)

My Cars
    E91
    Interesting!!

Can ''an old man'' maybe post some pictures of the front and of how it looks on the screen?

What about switching times for the cameras, are they fast to appear on the screen?

thx

:-)

My Cars
    X5
    Got any pictures? May I know the total cost?

My Cars
    2011 BMW E92

Additional Camera Details

My apologies for not replying sooner. I didn't check my own thread.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-rear-view-cameras/

Rear camera $699
    Front camera $200
    Smart View $250
    Sub-Total $1,149
    Less 10% Discount
    Sub-Total $1,034
    Tax $62
    Install $900
    Grand Total $1,996

Re Installation: I know that cost is steep; I paid $900 (an extra $500 for on-site installation at my MD home). It's $400 at the shop in NJ. I did not want some local car audio tech, with no experience, crawling around my car and prying off interior panels. I asked Bimmertech for its most experienced installer. It recommended Kies which is located in NJ. The job took six hours. The tech, Cliff, did a perfect job. Not a mark/scratch anywhere. Not a wire clipping in the grass. Could you do it yourself? Yes if: (1) You're young and can work upside down and bend into a pretzel, (2) You can follow instructions, (3) You have the proper plastic pry tools for removing panels and clips, (4) You have some extra clips for when the original pieces get lost in the lawn, and (5) You can see "in the dark" under the dash. It's a bitch getting old.

Switching times: Rear camera is instant on when you select reverse; instant off when you then select drive. Front camera is activated with a button-push. The image appears as fast as you can push the button.

Re Photos: In a way, when the job is done, there is nothing to see. The rear camera is hidden in the rear trunk handle recess. Unless you're laying on the ground, it's invisible. The front camera is just a quarter-size glass & black lens placed in the lower black grill area. It's not very noticeable. It looks like every other car lens in every similarly equipped car. The system hooks into the OEM Nav/audio display so there is nothing to see there. The actual back-up display image is very clear. The Bimmertech website has good pictures.
    Last edited by Justin48; 02-20-2018 at 10:19 PM.