Thread: Jacking Up 328i xDrive with GM Transmission

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Jacking Up 328i xDrive with GM Transmission

-

2011 328i xDrive with GM GA6L-45R transmission (per VIN decoder), 110k miles

Transmission has the torque converter shudder.

QUESTION 1: If the GM GA6L-45R transmission has the correct amount of ATF in it, will jacking up just the rear of the car tilt the tranny enough to have the fluid run forward and not run out the fill hole when the engine is not running? (We want to add 4 oz Dr Tranny Shudder Fix and I don't want my son under there with the engine running.)

QUESTION 2: Is a flexible tube/hose needed to put the Dr Tranny Shudder Fix into the fill hole, or do the 2 oz tubes fit into that space?

QUESTION 3: Can these transmissions become low on fluid without leaving a noticeable ATF puddle?

We have gone thru "B240413_GM6_Shudder_Diagnosis.pdf" and "24 04 13.pdf" and confirmed that the shudder we have is most likely due to "Changes in the frictional properties of the automatic transmission fluid over time can lead to momentary slipping of the torque converter lock-up clutch."

We have performed the controversial Adaptive Transmission Reset with no change.

We have performed a "Battery Reset" with no change.

We are familiar with the correct jacking procedure and the jackstand locations. However, I'd prefer not to have my son under the vehicle on jackstands while the engine is running. We do not have easy access to a mechanic's car lift.

Here are images that show the fill plug at the back of the GM GA6L-45R transmission:

I'm wondering if these transmissions can become low on fluid without leaving a noticeable ATF puddle. Does anyone know? Not having a dipstick is really a pain.

In any case, I'm wondering if the GM GA6L-45R transmission has the correct amount of ATF in it, will jacking up the rear tilt the tranny enough to have the fluid run forward and not run out the fill hole when the engine is not running. Anyone know?

I'd like to drain and refill, but it's getting cold here now (Wisconsin) and we'd like to get rid of the shudder and do a more thorough job next summer. At that point, we can drain and refill with fresh ATF (and more Dr Tranny if needed). I'm hesitant to drop the pan at 110k miles.

Thank you in advance! We really appreciate your expertise and advice.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    I don't know how much it would be off but I would just lift all four corners, check the level and be done with it. I have the same model and there's center jack points front and rear so it takes 5 minutes to get the car up and on jackstands.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive
    I understand, but I don't want my son under there with the engine running.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive
    Hoping someone knows the answer... if you jack up just the rear of a 2011 328i xDrive with GM transmission, can you jack it high enough so the angled fluid level puts the ATF below the fill plug hole at the back of the transmission?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30
    [QUOTE=beemdad;29890563]-
    QUESTION 3: Can these transmissions become low on fluid without leaving a noticeable ATF puddle?

Hot transmission oil degrades inside and lower volume.
    Also oild could leak at the transmission cooler (heat exchanger) under the radiator, or in the hoses.
    Rod Lequerica. - Miami FL
    2009 BMW 328i E90 LCI Sedan Type PH77
    Engine: 6cyl 3lt N52B30A - Auto Trans: GM GA6L45R
    VIN WBAPH775X9NM Plus 5 last serial numbers
    EL_LEQUE_DELAE@YAHOO.COM
    +1 (786) 239 1329)

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30
    Good afternoon. How could I please access: "B240413_GM6_Shudder_Diagnosis.pdf" and "24 04 13.pdf"
    Rod Lequerica. - Miami FL
    2009 BMW 328i E90 LCI Sedan Type PH77
    Engine: 6cyl 3lt N52B30A - Auto Trans: GM GA6L45R
    VIN WBAPH775X9NM Plus 5 last serial numbers
    EL_LEQUE_DELAE@YAHOO.COM
    +1 (786) 239 1329)

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive
    Thanks for the reply, Rod. Here are the service bulletins.

24 04 13.pdf:
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=03673374315469645148

B240413_GM6_Shudder_Diagnosis.pdf:
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=20802462134867039608

I used links because file upload appears to be disabled on the forum.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive
    In case someone else is considering trying this:

ANSWERS TO ORIGINAL QUESTIONS:

QUESTION 1: If the GM GA6L-45R transmission has the correct amount of ATF in it, will jacking up just the rear of the car tilt the tranny enough to have the fluid run forward and not run out the fill hole when the engine is not running? (We want to add 4 oz Dr Tranny Shudder Fix and I don't want my son under there with the engine running.)

The answer is NO.

With the engine & transmission cold, we started and ran the car just long enough (less than a minute) to back it onto a gently down-sloping concrete driveway. We blocked the front, jacked up the rear as far as we could, and placed jackstands under the rear hard rubber pads (& kept the jack lightly loaded in place as a backup) to put the car in as nose-down of a position as we could. With the engine off, my son went underneath and removed the fill plug from the rear of the GM transmission (which is not an easy thing to do, by the way). About 3/4ths of a quart of ATF ran out. After getting the friction modifier in (which displaced an equal amount of old ATF), he eventually got the plug into position to thread it in and tighten to about 19 N.m (14 ft.lb).

I contacted a fast oil change place I use for my other vehicles and they agreed as a favor to top off the transmission with the correct ATF from down in their oil change pit while the engine was running. This was a lifesaver. It took just over a quart, so I'd estimate we were maybe 1/4 qt low--but that's like 2% of the roughly 11.5 qt capacity, so very hard to judge.

I have wondered if we had started the engine for about 30 seconds after we jacked the rear up, if whatever ATF was drawn into the torque converter would tend to stay there because of the angle. As it was, I think we gained very little by jacking the car to an angle.

QUESTION 2: Is a flexible tube/hose needed to put the Dr Tranny Shudder Fix into the fill hole, or do the 2 oz tubes fit into that space?

The answer is YES, tubing is needed.

It's hard enough to get the plug into position to thread it back in. There is definitely not room for a 2 oz squeeze tube up there. We attached about a foot of 1/4" ID clear plastic tubing. The shop used a manual pump to push ATF from a quart bottle up into the fill hole.

Per the GM service bulletin, he now has to drive it for up to 100 miles to see the full effects.

Apparently the initial driving schedule is in SB 24 11 07 -- does anyone have that?

Thanks.

My Cars
    2007 328xi wagon
    Hey - probably in another thread but how long do you have to run the engine to get the correct amount of ATF in?
    My situation (on my E92 wagon) is that I drained 5 qts and can barely get 4 qts back in without it overflowing. What I believe I didn't do enough is run the engine waiting for the ATF to be sucked up so I can add more agin while the engine is running...

My Cars
    2007 E91 328xi
    For exactly these reasons I added a fumoto valve to the my drain pan. This way I can effortlessly add shudder fix or drain and replace fluid.

The valve is about a half inch tall and yes, it does hang slightly below the drain pan making it a target to snag on things and tear open the pan. However, it semi fits under the splash guard (my guard is cracked so mine is exposed). I have had Several years of driving through Bay Area and mountain snow weather with no issues.

The catch is that there is no way to know the level, I typically try and add what I removed + a half quart. I do occasionally open the fill plug (which is a bit of pain ) to verify the fluid level.

IMG_3761.JPGIMG_3758.JPGIMG_5657.jpg
    Last edited by mms16; 01-28-2019 at 07:39 PM.