Thread: New hydraulics motor but roof doesn't lift or retract

My Cars
    2012 640d, 2006 Z4 2.5Si

Angry New hydraulics motor but roof doesn't lift or retract

I had the hydraulic motor replaced about 300 miles ago, now the roof won't lift. I can get the roof to close with some manual intervention, lifting the roof up by hand, and the roof will secure itself to the windscreen surround. Similarly, pressing the button to store the roof results in it unlocking, retracting several inches and then nothing.

Anybody else had the same? Is it time to get the roof off again and look at the hinges?

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    Can you hear the motor running? It might be low on fluid if the motor is running. If not running, have you checked the fuses?

My Cars
    2012 640d, 2006 Z4 2.5Si
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ237 View Post
    Can you hear the motor running? It might be low on fluid if the motor is running. If not running, have you checked the fuses?
    Yes, the hydraulic motor is running but there is no lift

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    I suspect a fluid leak. Is there any evidence of a leak from the drain tubes in front of the rear wheels?

My Cars
    2012 640d, 2006 Z4 2.5Si
    No, I haven't seen any sign of that - which is to say that I haven't noticed it but, living in a country where rain falls about 50% of the time, I may have missed it.

How would introduce the hydraulic fluid?

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    Unfortunately, you have to remove the plug on the top of the fluid reservoir. If your pump is attached to the hood frame it's going to be very difficult to check the fluid level or add fluid. I relocated mine to the boot for just that reason.

My Cars
    2012 640d, 2006 Z4 2.5Si
    Thanks so much, I'm going to try to figure out how to access the fluid reservoir. Do you know of any good sources for exploded diagrams that would give me an indication of where to find the reservoir and what steps to go through to access it?

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    RealOEM.com has lots of parts diagrams which will give a good indication of where things are located. But the power unit is in a rubber container that's taped shut and strapped to the roof bows in a well, and I was hardly able to touch mine, much less take it apart without removing the whole assembly.

Visit Z4-forum.com and you can do a search that shows how to move the pump into the boot. There may also be several u-tube videos if you do a google search.

The problem could be in the switches, as you were thinking, but that will also require removing the whole assembly.

My Cars
    2012 640d, 2006 Z4 2.5Si
    Thank you so much for all of your help. I've secured access to a friend's garage that will allow me to get the roof off without the worry of getting soaked/ frozen. Perhaps I should photograph every stage and share on this site if it's going to be a tough job.

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT
    There have been several u-tube and step by step procedures on Z4 forums, but another never hurts. One thing not always mentioned is that you should tape a small towel to the tops of the roll bars because the latches will scrape the paint off as you maneuver the roof. Also, plenty of padding on the rear deck. I found that it was not difficult to remove/replace the roof without assistance as long as the paint is sufficiently protected.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Rabbit
    Just to be sure, you did unlatch the override didn't you? The pull thing that allows you to close when the motor dies?