Thread: Rear "studs" for tonneau/wind deflector mounts

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

Rear "studs" for tonneau/wind deflector mounts

I have no other car with which to compare, and I can't find photos. Are these "studs" to which the tonneau cover or the wind deflector attaches supposed to stick out this far? To me it seems like there's a sleeve (that doesn't match) on there for some reason, and I don't think it's right.

How do I know? I put my top down and the plastic window brushed against it and @#$%& cracked...

IMG_0625.jpgIMG_0626.jpg

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    If you buy a wind deflector, you also get longer "studs". The stock "studs" only stick out about 1/4 inch and are hard to find. Is it possible the previous owner had a wind deflector installed?

The BMW part number for the repair kit is 54318412057. I contains the "studs" along with other stuff, but the kit is very expensive.

Here is a link to the kit at Turner - https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/

There are two "studs" on each end of the center row of part in the picture.

Update: Looks like the part number for the "stud" (pin) may be 51168412059 and ECS has them for $24 at https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/51168412059/
    Last edited by khammack; 11-20-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    The car I bought came with both the tonneau cover and the wind deflector. Which was a huge bonus, for sure. But I was concerned the previous owner didn't install it right, or something, because those ball-end studs seem to stick out a bunch.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Mushman View Post
    ... Are these "studs" to which the tonneau cover or the wind deflector attaches supposed to stick out this far? To me it seems like there's a sleeve (that doesn't match) on there for some reason, and I don't think it's right...
    The fasteners are called Tenax studs.
    http://www.eagleday.com/tefaforbmw.html
    The studs for the tonneau cover do not stick out very far, which makes it difficult to snap the cover onto them.

Looks like your short studs were replaced with long studs that came with the wind deflector:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wind-Protec...vip=true&rt=nc
    http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayI...1&secureDesc=0
    Last edited by Vintage42; 11-20-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Mushman View Post
    The car I bought came with both the tonneau cover and the wind deflector. Which was a huge bonus, for sure. But I was concerned the previous owner didn't install it right, or something, because those ball-end studs seem to stick out a bunch.
    Yep, like Ken says, the longer studs/sleeves are included with the wind deflector.

Personally, I donated my wind deflector (and hdwr) to one of the silent auctions at a Homecoming event. I bought it thinking it was a good idea, but hated the reduced rear visibility. Sue liked the benefits__until she drove the car with it on__it was never put on the car again!

I don't miss it, and neither does she, but we grew up with Real Roadsters (this one doesn't even have roll-up windows)...

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Learned something new today - I have used this mesh windscreen for many years at least 15 probably 17 years, I never even new they had longer studs for that - or even retaining bits- I just use the regular ones - they do fall off though - especially with the addition of the top firing 8 inch sub - integral audio - which pushes the windscreen out. Mine was actually bleached out and I painted it with black paint for fabric - an idea I picked up here, that worked nicely..

I love my windscreen, mostly for sub 55 degree, and highway speed comfort - I never thought it hurt visibility at all - respectfully disagree with Master Randy!

The windscreen stays on pretty good even without using those longer studs, as long as it is zipped up at least.

The thing that I rarely ever use is the top cover.
    Last edited by ZGator; 11-22-2017 at 07:26 PM.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGator View Post

I love my windscreen, mostly for sub 55 degree, and highway speed comfort - I never thought it hurt visibility at all - respectfully disagree with Master Randy!

The windscreen stays on pretty good even without using those longer studs, as long as it is zipped up at least.
    I like the windscreen too, and bought some longer studs from Eagleday. If I recall correctly, they were 22 mm. The fasteners were cheap but shipping was pricey. After a trip to the hardware store to get two black nylon spacers, the windscreen was rigged up nicely. (Now if I can only find a pair of metal clips that attach to the elastic--will probably have to make them.)

I don't find that the windscreen hurts visibility, until it's dark out.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    You just need to make sure the back window doesn't touch the new longer studs. It looks like some do and some don't. Mine window was just hitting the stud on the driver's side and I now have a nice scratch on my window. Once I noticed it I removed the longer studs and the windscreen. Just FYI, you only need the longer studs if you want to run with both the soft top cover and the windscreen at the same time.
    Last edited by khammack; 11-25-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    You just need to make sure the back window doesn't the new longer studs. It looks like some do and some don't. Mine window was just hitting the stud on the driver's side and I now have a nice scratch on my window.

This is what happened to me. Now I have a hole in my rear window--which isn't the end of the world, as I was planning on replacing it anyway. But I'm going to remove the spacers so that it doesn't happen again.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Ugh, what an awful design. Sometimes I can't believe how poorly thought-out the soft top design was when it comes to the window.

Mine has the windscreen and the short studs for some reason. I don't feel like the windscreen is that bad about impeding vision, but that could be because the window is in such poor shape (it and the entire top were beat up when I bought it, and I only recently got access to working inside garage again).
    Last edited by LannVouivre; 11-25-2017 at 08:38 AM.