Thread: rear upper control arm orientation

My Cars
    1997 318ti

rear upper control arm orientation

I'm putting together my rear suspension from cali to replace the rusted midwest ones that's still in my car, and when installing the bushings, I noticed some bull crap. My upper control arms seems to look the same. The inner bushing's slants should mirror one another and not look a like, right? As in when you line them parallel the slants should go in opposite direction but when face to face they should go in the same direction. When I purchased it, i did so based on the realoem number, but I feel like I got boned since I haven't taken the ones from my car out. Any comment?

My Cars
    99 M3
    They are opposites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 318ti
    FUUUUCKKK!!!!! Do you remember which way the slants for the inner bushings faced. Id assume it aimed downward towards the front of the of the car. I'm not taking my rear out prob til the end of the week so I cant check til then. The thing I hate is that I had it powdercoated so now even if the dude took its back its worth way more than before. And its not a dude it was allmagautoparts a recycler.

I see thanks to the powdercoating, bmw imprinted on them L which I'd assume means driverside. Both of them have it
    Last edited by isabura; 11-20-2017 at 09:35 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Have them send two rights and sell a powder coated pair. Their mistake, request (politely) that they help make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    As stated, they are supposed to mirror each other. Now you have to remember which side goes where

Here's a picture of mine from last year when I rebuilt everything. I marked them when I took them off but I figured I'd take a picture of them too since I was going to have them powder coated.

If you look at the inner bushing you'll see that one has a longer "leg" welded around the bushing sleeve. That longer leg faces the rear of the car. Another way to remember is if you mock it up on the car, you'll notice that the arm as a whole is angled toward the upper front of the car. Put em in backwards and it will point back and you won't be able to get the spring in right.

Last edited by LockDots; 11-22-2017 at 07:10 AM.

My Cars
    1997 318ti
    After Having them powdercoated I see that both have L engraved on them from the factory. Id assume the rights have R on them. Waiting for a response from them because of holiday. I know I did it by part number to avoid this exact situation, so its on them. Thanks for the pic Lockdots helps immensely actually Im going to use this too explain to them. And thanks bluptgm3 I try to avoid letting emotions get the best of me with customer service

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    You're correct. I sand blasted mine and powder coated them myself. One was clearly stamped with an "L" and the other with a "R". You could tell sitting them side by side like in Dots photo that they were cantered in the opposite direction.