Thread: Removing an Auto Tranny from Sedan - Questions

My Cars
    M4, E36, E92

Removing an Auto Tranny from Sedan - Questions

Hi all,

I'm doing an engine swap on my 1992 Non-vanos 325is manual and found a donor that has auto transmission. I have done an engine swap and clutch jobs on mine but never touched an automatic before. I'm pulling the engine/transmission out of the donor since it is easier than reaching those tranny bolts. With that said, I have some questions on disassembly:

1. How is the driveshaft disconnected from the transmission? Same way as a manual?
    2. How is the shifter assembly disconnected from the transmission and the inside of the car? Anything special needed to be done?
    3. Is separating the the transmission from the engine the same, just remove those start bolts, disconnect the wiring harness and the cooling lines?
    4. Once the transmission is out, I need to remove the torque converter (or whatever else is in there). Anything special I need to do there?

Thanks in advance

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Not done this on an E36 but the engine and trans set up will be similar to the E34. With that caveat:

1. You disconnect the trans at the flexible coupling or 'guibo'
    2. Just disconnect the shift cable at the trans end and pull the plug. You don't need to touch the inside of the car
    3. Pretty much but the torque converter should come out with the trans or you will dump ATF on the floor
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 11-20-2017 at 04:49 PM.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Nothing really special. Search for my auto trans DIY write up. Cooling lines complicate things and separating the housing are two of the biggest issues.