Thread: 2007 BMW X3 Oil or Transmission Leak?

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 3.0si

2007 BMW X3 Oil or Transmission Leak?

Hello all, new to the forums but have been just lurking.

I have a 2007 BMW X3 3.0si and it currently has a leaking issue. The leak at the moment is a few drops here and there but it is still concerning. I am not car mechanical savvy so I am not sure if this is transmission or an oil leak, I believe it is oil but I hope you guys here can confirm.

A little history with this car is that, when we first got it (used) it already had an oil leak and took it to the dealer to fix it. Fast forward exactly one year later and it is leaking again, again, not sure if it is oil or transmission and also not as bad as the first time.

I took some pictures and hopefully you can tell from them.

The area in question is between I believe the transmission fluid pan and the engine oil drain plug.

This one is just a view from a distance. The red arrow indicating where I see the leak.
    [IMG]https://photos.app.*******/VNxvoLtU704uMK0A3[/IMG]

This one is a close up of where I see the leak.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is the view from the plastic under-cover that I took off that was covering the "leak area" in question.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Lastly, this is the view from the engine bay compartment. This one is questionable because I do not know if this was from the first leak. But taking a look, I do not see anything that really stand out from the engine bay view. This is right where the engine is, on the top right corner of the image you see the engine oil fill cover.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Looking forward to your responses.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by theblob640; 11-21-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I would suggest using a different image site for the links as Photobucket ones no longer work on the forum.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I would suggest using a different image site for the links as Photobucket ones no longer work on the forum.
    Thanks for the heads up. Do you have a site that is recommended?

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3 3.0si
    Ok, lets try this again.

For some reason, my original post got deleted so I'll introduce myself again. I have been lurking and I finally got around to signing up after seeing there is so much information on here.

I have a 2007 BMW X3 3.0si which is currently having some leaking issues. When I first got this car (used) it had an oil leak which we got it fixed. Fast forward exactly one year and it is happening again. I am sure it is an oil leak and not transmission but I am hoping everyone here can help me out to confirm this and maybe know where it is coming from.

Here are some pictures, (hope they work this time)
    This is a view from a distance with the transmission fluid pan? (I am assuming) and the red arrow pointed at where the drips are coming from. Transmission pan looks clean.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is another view
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is a closeup of where the drips are, I think the source is from up above?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here is the cover that was removed to see where the drips were. The front portion was covered in the liquid
    [IMG][/IMG]

This one is from the engine bay and is questionable. I'm not sure if this is from the current leak or the one that happened last year.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hopefully someone can take some time to chime in. Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks.
    Last edited by theblob640; 11-21-2017 at 03:31 PM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Photobucket accounts only work on any forum if the account owner has upgraded. The issue is not Bimmerforums, or any forum, it's Photobucket's change of policy. Details here: https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/pho...-embedded-web/

OP, you need to host your images somewhere (besides Photobucket or Imgur) and point to that location. I'd suggest to not depend on a free pic hosting site.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    Hi, did you figure out where the leak is and how did you get it fixed? Thanks