Thread: My 1991 325ix needs a clutch and heat - is this the END?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325ix

My 1991 325ix needs a clutch and heat - is this the END?

Hello fellow e-30 enthousiasts.

I have '91 325ix. White on black. I love it. Just rolled 200k miles. California car - no rust!
    Super strong motor.

But here's the bad news.

I started hearing a sort of whistling friction belt sound whenever I depressed the clutch.

My mechanic Erich from Precision Motors in oakland california said, oh yah you need a clutch my friend.

Says I'm looking at $1,500 or so.

And the heater died. Erich says he has to remove the dash to repair it. Another $1,300 estimate - and warned me that all sorts of plastic bits will break as part of the procedure.

Then he says to me, "I know you love this car - but you're basically buying it again if you do the work" And you'll probably buy it again next year - I can't predict what the issue will be - but at 27 years old and 200k, it will be something.

Anybody have any advice?
    I suppose I could part with the cash - but 3k or so to keep this thing going - in the knowledge that the next shoe is about to drop - is starting to seem unseemly.

Please advise!!!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Not sure about the prices in your area, but 3k is a lot of money for that.
    I'm not jumping to conclusions that he's ripping you off btw, because there may be more to your situation than you described.
    Anyhow, you could always shop a bit if another shop can do it for less.

Might also want to try and fix the heat yourself. There are diy's of everything for E30 issues..!
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    89 325i track, 91 318is
    What part of the heater died? Dash doesn't have to come out unless you're replacing the whole HVAC unit. Fan is removable from the engine bay, heater core slides out into the driver's footwell.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    /\ yup
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by vpilarry View Post
    What part of the heater died? Dash doesn't have to come out unless you're replacing the whole HVAC unit. Fan is removable from the engine bay, heater core slides out into the driver's footwell.
    the defrost was kicking antifreeze onto the windsheild. couldn't see a thing.
    so my mechanic bypassed the heater.

My Cars
    BMW
    As he said as these cars age more will go wrong, the nice thing about them is there isn't that much to go wrong! Personally, I'd repair her and keep on enjoying.

-James

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Quote Originally Posted by ian ross View Post
    the defrost was kicking antifreeze onto the windsheild. couldn't see a thing.
    so my mechanic bypassed the heater.
    Heater core. Requires removal of the console and the trim panel under the dash. Does not require whole dash removal.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    88 325 vert
    I would be inclined to fix it. What is the overall condition? Unless you get a car much newer you will have similar issues,what you don't spend on upkeep will be robbed by deprecation. You need to ask yourself can I get a more reliable car than I have for 3k plus what the car is worth as it sets?

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    Im reading more and more threads where supposedly "specialty shops" are saying the dash has to come out. Honestly, no matter what their reputation the moment I heard that I'd RUN. Clearly their e30 experience is limited.

Ive had at least 1 e30 or another non stop for 20 years and I've pulled a dash 3x.....to replace it...never to repair anything else.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffnhiscars View Post
    Im reading more and more threads where supposedly "specialty shops" are saying the dash has to come out. Honestly, no matter what their reputation the moment I heard that I'd RUN. Clearly their e30 experience is limited.

Ive had at least 1 e30 or another non stop for 20 years and I've pulled a dash 3x.....to replace it...never to repair anything else.
    +1.

I would search for a more BMW-oriented service shop in your area.

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    With these older cars, if you can't do a lot of the service yourself, its going to get expensive. Both prices seem high but every city is different. But one thing your mechanic noted that you need to keep in mind, again, with these old cars, it seems everything you touch is brittle or rusted and tend to put up a fight or break easily.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    My ex-gf (who was willing, but not mechanically experienced) replaced the heater core in her e30 in an evening. It is not a difficult procedure. Although at 90lbs she probably had easier access than most, it's definitely an awkward angle but still totally doable unless you're 250lbs+. It's in the dash to the right of your right knee.

The clutch job at $1500 sounds reasonable, it's not drastically different from a RWD job except 6 more bolts to undo the front drive shaft. The first time around I made the mistake of installing the transmission with the transfercase installed. I would remove them together, but then separate them on the ground. Wrestling both them onto the engine was an absolute bear of a job. At 200k doing the clutch is actually a great opportunity. Your shift linkage bushings are completely worn and sloppy and now you get to replace all of them. It's going to make driving the car feel even better. There are plenty of bushings out there that are far superior to OEM now as well. Figure spending at least $200 on your shifter parts.

Definitely repair the car. After some quick googling, precision motors seems like a decent shop. Erich probably just didnt know the heater core could come right out. It should be an hour or two of labor. This is all stuff you could do if you have a garage and the patience as well.

If you want to get rid of the car, send me a message. I love IXs (because I'm masochistic) and I'll road trip it from CA to MD. :-P

Edit: $3000/year in maintenance is $250/month. How much would a new car cost? $5000 down and $300/month? Is there a new car that will make you just as happy? Used cars aren't free cars. You have to make a monthly payment on all cars. It's either to a loan or to maintenance.
    Last edited by Kershaw; 11-22-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    Id sell (who needs ix in california) and get a nice 325is to replace it...

Ix bring good money even with needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    I can see $3k in year 1 catching up on maintenance and personalizing a newly acquired e30 but on an ongoing basis it's nothing near that.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by somecarguy View Post
    Id sell (who needs ix in california) and get a nice 325is to replace it...

Ix bring good money even with needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Apparently you've never one driven one. If you're still in MD, PM me and I'll show you. Lol.
    Last edited by Kershaw; 11-23-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...