Thread: White smoke from under hood

My Cars
    e36

White smoke from under hood

I got some white smoke coming out of the valve cover, I did a search and people seem to say its a valve cover oil. It looks like this video, can anyone verify that this it the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2X-wGb_Yik

I get burning rubber smell as well. Any help appreciated.

It was the valvecover, the rtv sealant wasted away. I reapplied it and that fixed it. I also notice it was leaking on the back lower corner. Tightened it and that fixed it.
    Last edited by apple master; 12-17-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    Apple refers to the fruit not the computer...

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    dripping oil on exhaust? just guessing. should be visible if it's that

My Cars
    e36
    I dont see any oil on the floor, although something is burning oil, I have to top it off every once in a while.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    The Valve Cover GASKET keeps oil inside of the engine. The gasket fails -- gets hard. cracks, whatever -- and oil is then allowed to flow onto the exhaust manifold, where it burns and makes smoke. It is a burning oil smell, not a burning rubber smell. Burning rubber is entirely different.

Use www.realoem.com to identify the gasket you need, be sure to get a complete new set of valve cover grommets. This is a good time to replace the spark plugs since you will be taking them out anyhow. No point in putting old plugs back in, although this is certainly an option. You need the gasket, both of the things that have rings to seal the spark plug wells, and 15 or 16 of the grommets. The cap screws that hold the valve cover on get something like 7 ft. lb. of torque, the plugs get 22 ft. lb.

You do not have to buy the parts you need from the BMW dealership, but realoem will give you a diagram of what you need and then you can source the aftermarket for replacement parts. Personally, I think I'd just go to the dealership. There are a crap-load of 10mm nuts and bolts, and otherwise this is an easy job.

- - - Updated - - -

Given that the oil drip onto the exhaust manifold and turns to smoke, it almost never makes drips on the floor.

Your engine is raised on the front, and leans to the right. This makes the engine low on the right rear (the corner in front of the passenger seat on a LHD car). Oil is pumped to the top, and drains by gravity to the bottom. With the raised front and lean to the right, the oil pools on the exhaust manifold side of the engine at the #6 cylinder. When the gasket goes, you will see oil above the exhaust manifold that drips down and burns.

My Cars
    e36
    hmm, I replaced it last year, just kinda surprised that its failing again. Maybe I did it wrong? I will try it again to see if that fixes it.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Just did a valve cover gasket on mine, 19 years old and hard as a rock. Mine was leaking in the front, lower corner, nothing ended up on the exhaust, but ran down and soaked the AC compressor and onto the boots of the steering rack. I took my time and spent the better part of the afternoon doing it. Bought 15 new grommets that I probably didn't need and two mounts that are still in the cabinet.
    untitled (18).jpguntitled (19).png

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.