Thread: 2000 Roadster Subwoofer replacement

My Cars
    2006 X3 3.0, 2000 Z3 2.3

2000 Roadster Subwoofer replacement

Hi All,
    I am sorry for asking this once again but I'm having a hard time finding information on speakers that fit the subwoofer box that has two smaller (one front facing one rear facing) speakers. All of the posts I have found have information about the HK 6-1/2" sub but not this smaller style.

My 2000 has a box like the image below and the PO replaced the speakers with a standard door type speaker that don't fit well and sound horrible. I tried to seal up the box around d the speaker but even with that, it still sounds pretty bad.

I'm not interested in replacing the box with something different and I'm really only looking for a speaker that fit the box or fit the box with minor modifications.

z3-subwofer-65138386456-1.jpg

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Finding proper drivers for the dual speaker box will be nearly impossible. You would be best finding the single 6" if you want to maintain stock appearance. You probably have the single amp system also and that's the root cause of poor bass.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    What would you pay for a sub box just like that with two good working subs?
    I can lay my hands on one pretty quickly if suitable.
    It would be an identical to the one shown in the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    The speakers in the box are identical to the ones in the kick panel, I believe.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I have a perfectly good dual speaker sub all packed up in a box and ready to ship. Not worth the effort though--I agree that the single amp is not up to the task of driving a sub. However, once it's relieved of that duty, it's a darn good amp for the remaining 8 channels.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Correct me__please__if I'm wrong, but isn't one of those just passive (not wired to a moving coil)?

If not that sub-box, then I know I've read about them fitted to some type of BMW (I'm not clever enough or have an active imagination to have made that up). One speaker is powered, and the other just moves as a result of the sound waves acting on the back of the cone.

Abel, help me out here...

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Not in mine. Both speakers are wired to the connector.
    I assume the 4 wires go off to the amp. Didn’t check at the amp connector

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetchief View Post
    Not in mine. Both speakers are wired to the connector.
    I assume the 4 wires go off to the amp. Didn’t check at the amp connector

Hmm, okay, thanks (now I wonder what model it is...???) :o

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Correct me__please__if I'm wrong, but isn't one of those just passive (not wired to a moving coil)?
    Yes and no... I have found 3 different styles of sub boxes mounted in the roadsters with roll hoops, there may be more.

There is the Phillips box that came with a 5" dual coil and a passive radiator like you mentioned.
    passive coil box rear.jpgpassive coil box front.jpg

I have found it impossible to locate a good quality replacement for the 5" dual coil, so I have either eliminates the sub-woofer entirely and replaced it with an oddments box or shifted to replacing it with a 6" dual coil box.

HK box with 2 - 5" paper cone drivers. This is the box I find most commonly.

IMG_0533.jpg

That box will accept many shallow aftermarket 5" drivers or you could go crazy with a hole saw

modified HK box.jpg

The third type had a 6" dual coil. That box seems to be the goody if you want to use a 6" Kicker in the stock enclosure. (sorry, I don't have a picture)

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Mushman View Post
    The speakers in the box are identical to the ones in the kick panel, I believe.
    That would be what I have found as well with the HK system. Not a great speaker. The OP has a Phillips style.
    Last edited by steve f; 11-20-2017 at 03:03 PM.

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    ... --I agree that the single amp is not up to the task of driving a sub. However, once it's relieved of that duty, it's a darn good amp for the remaining 8 channels.
    Interesting thought. Thank you
    Last edited by steve f; 11-20-2017 at 03:05 PM.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Grawyl View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm not interested in replacing the box with something different and I'm really only looking for a speaker that fit the box or fit the box with minor modifications.
    z3-subwofer-65138386456-1.jpg
    I have heard from another forum member in link below that these were decent bass wise and a direct drop in for ease. Not sure, I ended up fixing my HK's, but, might be a nice upgrade. I am still heavily thinking about it...... But I do think we are quite limited back there for great bass without upgrading to the 6.5 and new amp.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9106-hp5...kers-pair.html

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rs)-99-M-Roady

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Thanks Steve F; sometimes a guy just needs to hear that he's NOT crazy!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Does the speaker that comes with the car based on year or based on if we have dual hoops or not? Sorry for the silly questions, this is the first thread that popped up in search.

My Cars
    z3
    I've been thinking I should upgrade my audio when doing my interior stuff and had a thought...

A few years ago I heard some people talk about putting shallow mount subs under the Z3 seats like on the Z4. There isn't enough room under the Z3 seats to do this really... but... the carpeting behind the Z3 seat is pretty thick. I wonder if a shallow mount sub could be put into a shallow box and fit into this area? One on each side...?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    You would need to be careful running a screw into the rear wall there. Honestly I find the 8" in the stock location more than adequate. The real trick is where you source the signal/power for it. Preamp signal would be best but I'm not sure which wires at the amp are the sub input to the amp. I would definitely run 3 sets of rca cables from the head to the trunk if you have the interior out. That's the best setup for a upgrade.
    Last edited by z3forlife; 11-27-2017 at 07:20 PM.

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    I would definitely run 3 sets of rca cables from the head to the trunk if you have the interior out. That's the best setup for a upgrade.
    I find it easier to mount a small 2 channel amp to power the front speakers in the body of a hollowed out driver's knee bolster and then running only 2 sets of RCA cables (rear channels and woofer) to the trunk.

pict0005.JPG front power amp.jpg IMG_0423.jpg

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I like the etsy style in between the speakers.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...11975456449507

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I've been thinking I should upgrade my audio when doing my interior stuff and had a thought...

A few years ago I heard some people talk about putting shallow mount subs under the Z3 seats like on the Z4. There isn't enough room under the Z3 seats to do this really... but... the carpeting behind the Z3 seat is pretty thick. I wonder if a shallow mount sub could be put into a shallow box and fit into this area? One on each side...?
    The issue I have is I don't think there is any room behind the seats as it is unless it's recessed. For people that are tall the rear seats hit the bulkhead already.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster
    I made a custom box for a 8" sub to fit in the stock location. I did have to make a new top to cover the sub.

The amp I used fit where the stock amp was located. It was a dual output amp, or whatever it's called. It runs the sub and a front set of component speakers.

I think it turned out pretty good.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post

I know someone who did exactly this. It was years ago, but it worked well. The passenger seat could not go all the way back. This generally isn't an issue though.