Thread: E36 Exhaust Recommendation

My Cars
    M3, ES300

E36 Exhaust Recommendation

So I have a fairly modified S52; Turner Stage 3, under drive pulleys, performance M5 clutch and aluminum flywheel, Wiseco oversized pistons.

Over the winter I'm going to take it to Stage 3+; install the M50 intake, and Turner adapter kit for that, and then install as a track exhaust (bye-bye cats) system.

I currently own a set of OBX headers (that were never installed), and I'm thinking that of just taking the car to this really good muffler guy I know, and have him install the OBX headers and just run a generic exhaust system all the way back. Not necessarily cheap, but I'm just going to tell him what I'm looking for, and let him choose the mufflers and pipes and route it as best he sees fit. I'm going to split the system, so it has a single pipe on each side of the car. Never understood why you'd have it any other way, just looks way better.

So I'm looking for anybody who's done something similar, how'd it work out? Do you recommend going to a larger diameter system?

Right now, I wouldn't buy OBX headers if I was doing it from the start, but I figure I don't have that much to loose. If there crap, I can buy new ones and pull them out. My new exhaust system needs to be semi-permanent anyway cause every other year the old system will need to go back-on to pass emissions. Question #2. When the old exhaust goes back on, does the car need to be tuned back (sort of speak) in order to pass? So is it two trips to the exhaust guy, and two trips to the tuner as well?

I would like to aim for the more throaty sound of a SuperSprint system:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqkPZmXdjs

Thanks!!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Changing headers to match the stock catted mid pipe for emissions would be a real pain. Cutting and fabricating adapters for the obx to stock mid would be extra work. Running a pipe on the passenger side of the spare tire well would be a pain. If you want to spend money on a custom project to be unique but perform no better than what’s readily available go ahead.

Do you have obd2 plug in or a sniffer test? If visual and sniffer you will need the stock mid to fit. I’d use headers that will fit the stock mid like Turner shorties that are equal length and proven, but I have not really followed headers since I got rid of the supercharger and went turbo years ago. So basically I would make a custom mid pipe only due to your need to swap. Most aftermarket exhausts bolt up to the stock mid so if you use an identical connection there it will be an easy swap.