Thread: BMW E36 molded clip repair

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic

BMW E36 molded clip repair

Hi All, As I make my 1998 E36 328ic repairs to interior trim components one thing keeps happening that being repairing the molded in plastic clips that BMW uses in plastic panels so here is my repair proceedure rather than going out and replacing the panels. My car is grey so any replacement panels are tougher to obtain and the clips on any used parts are likely to be broken off anyway!
    My repair procedure is to firstly, exacto blade the same clips off old BMW panels that you have and attach them to your part with additional strengthening ribs.
    Secondly, using plastic from old BMW parts that is similar to the plastic on your part to be repaired make your own clips. I'll detail how this is done next and then describe the way to attach the clips as it pertains to both methods.
    From the three repairs I've done so far I have found that the BMW plastic on my E36 is thermo formable. So, using any scrap plastic that matches your part (from similar type of parts or color or the plastic seems similar) use a good pair of side cutters or a hacksaw or whatever to cut the plastic into the right width and a lot longer than the clip you want to repair. Then smooth out the plastic with a file. If your clip to be repaired has a base that's still attached you should match the plastic piece to that width. Next, take a look at the shape of the clip and either eyeball it well or measure it up (or put paper over it and rub it with a pencil to transfer the shape). Now that you have your raw material ready and the shape to be made you can thermo-form the plastic. I use a vice with appropriate metal objects as forms. For example the clips in the rear BMW rear trim cards are bent upwards and have a curve to them, two of mine were broken at the start of the curve. So for this I used a drill bit of the same diameter as the inside radius of the curve, clamped it in the vice and then vice gripped the plastic to the drill bit.Once this was done I then heated the plastic with a heat gun and when the plastic is soft enough used needle nose pliers to manipulate it into the shape I wanted. You have to take the heat off the plastic and hold it it the correct position for about 10 seconds for the plastic to hold that shape. Check the shape to your template, eyeball it to the other clips, whatever and adjust it with the heat until it looks ok and seems to work when you put it in position on your part. Sometimes you aren't making a whole new clip but just adding the part of a clip has snapped off, it doesn't really matter just make what you need!

Now for the now non tricky part for both scenarios, attaching it. My new best friend is something called Instant Bond (Cyanoacrylate Glue and activator spray, $17 at home depot). Buy this product, its so good that it's addictive for repairing things (I have no affilliation with the glue or HD, BTW). You can then put the glue portion on your clip and hold it into place and use the activator spray to set off the glue. It only takes about three-ten seconds MAX for the glue to set. Add additional glue or beef up the clip with additional stiffening ribs and glue, whatever seems to make sense. If the clip isn't working then re-do it. The process is so easy you can get this right!

I've repaired door cards, the pesky upper glove box clips and others since I've bought my vert all with complete success. It sure beats getting used or new parts!

Remember next time when you are chucking that plastic part out to think, hmmm can I use that to make clips, maybe? I keep fishing old parts out of the garbage when I discover I need to make a clip. Not sure if we can post photos on this site but I do have some if anyone can't understand how this is done.

Hope this helps others with these old plastic based Bimmers. I will post my rear trim door panel vinyl recovering fix (entire one day effort with all the tests) and my wood shift knob refinishing efforts next.

Don B

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Conv.
    I would LOVE to see your pictures or video's....if you only knew how many things I have Macgiver'ed on mine over these years and i have so many to replace.....outside and inside

Thank You in advance from Tx
    Vickie Scott aka Qwnbm3

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Yes, pics we need. Upload them and link.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/