Thread: New to the BMW world

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21

Smile New to the BMW world

Hello,

I`ve just purchased a 1983 E21 320i. This is my first BMW ever, when I was a kid my father used to collect Alfa Romeos, so the bug runs deep in my DNA. Never had done such a project in Canada, so don`t know many mechanics and so on. Car has been worked over the years by previous 2 owners (some engine upgrades, stabilizer bars, battery relocated to the back) . I live just outside Montreal (Canada) and wonder if anyone in the forum can refer a good mechanic, someone also for bodywork, and finally interior (have to re-do the upholstery, and dashboard)

Another question... Is it too expensive to take the engine out to repaint the engine bay? I`m toying with the idea of changing the car color... It`ll end up depending on cost of course but would like to have your input.

Thanks for your kind help.

Irongaucho

My Cars
    '78 320i
    I wouldnt recommend painting a new car color, personally. Unless you gut it to a shell and redo it. I dont think its worth the cost. In terms of yanking out the engine to respray the engine bay... its not 100% difficult but it is a pain. Mine had this strut that was broken and I had to chop it off to get it out. Otherwise its just 2 mounts. Personally I'd prioritize making sure it was running well before I did much, UNLESS you are trying to contend against rust. Just my $.02 as a non-professional.

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21
    Thanks for the tip.

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by irongaucho View Post
    Hello,

I`ve just purchased a 1983 E21 320i. This is my first BMW ever, when I was a kid my father used to collect Alfa Romeos, so the bug runs deep in my DNA. Never had done such a project in Canada, so don`t know many mechanics and so on. Car has been worked over the years by previous 2 owners (some engine upgrades, stabilizer bars, battery relocated to the back) . I live just outside Montreal (Canada) and wonder if anyone in the forum can refer a good mechanic, someone also for bodywork, and finally interior (have to re-do the upholstery, and dashboard)

Another question... Is it too expensive to take the engine out to repaint the engine bay? I`m toying with the idea of changing the car color... It`ll end up depending on cost of course but would like to have your input.

Thanks for your kind help.

Irongaucho
    Welcome and congrats on your new ride. I can't comment on a good mechanic in your area but I can comment on your other question.

The answer depends on your skill-set and budget.

If the car is in good shape then it is no doubt worth repainting. Keeping the stock color is much easier requiring only some of the exterior trim to be removed and ideally the front and rear windows. If you are planning to keep the car for a long time then it may be worthwhile/desirable for you to change the color. A color change not only requires all of the previously mentioned work and the engine to come out, it would also require the door panels and trim to be removed as well as all of the trunk bits (a lot of paint shows around the doors and in the jambs). It starts to become a major project really fast, especially if you rely on others to do all the work.

Best guess, it would take a shop 4-8 hours to pull the engine if they have a lift and pull it from the bottom as an assembly with the trans and subframe/suspension in one piece. I imagine it would take several days to remove and catalog all the exterior and interior trim but it could be less...hard to judge. Then there is the slippery slope of all the old trim and engine parts looking worse with fresh paint....which drives the budget up quickly. If you can do some of the prep work yourself then there is a huge potential savings.

I never want to discourage anyone from a project but best to understand 100% what you could get into - I hate to see these projects stall because of an overwhelmed budget and lack of understanding.

MJ

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Agreed. Its a slippery slope! 'May as well do it while it's out' can go all the way down the hill. Look where I am with my project...

Welcome to the club! Get some posts under your belt and share pictures!

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    I wouldnt recommend painting a new car color, personally. Unless you gut it to a shell and redo it. I dont think its worth the cost. In terms of yanking out the engine to respray the engine bay... its not 100% difficult but it is a pain. Mine had this strut that was broken and I had to chop it off to get it out. Otherwise its just 2 mounts. Personally I'd prioritize making sure it was running well before I did much, UNLESS you are trying to contend against rust. Just my $.02 as a non-professional.
    I would second this, drive the car for a year and sort out mechanical issues.
    Then if you are a Auto Body guy repaint it, if not repaints are a lot of money. So if you are not going to keep the car for 5 to 10 years after it is done to enjoy it, you will lose a good amount of money for your work.

My repaint of the track car is still not finished and body work is no where near show quality with easy engine bay repaint. Front end is not painted as I have not started working on the front aero package yet.

Currently:

7-16 E.jpg IMG_4526.jpg
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 11-19-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21
    Thanks. Appreciate the input.

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21
    Thanks. It actually makes sense. First things first, will be make the car sound from a mechanical stand point. With the winter upon us, no need to rush at this point.

Very happy to be among such a group of car enthusiasts.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Welcome to the Forum. Most people here DIY'er for the most part, feel free to ask questions about your car, parts needed, advice and so forth.

Randy

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21
    Thanks.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    I hope that you enjoy your E21 as much as I enjoy mine. Regarding maintenance, unless the car came with a service history, the first thing I would do would be to change out ALL fluids and filters. Doing that will also help you get to know your way around the car. John

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21
    Thanks.