Thread: Summer vs Winter Tires?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il

Summer vs Winter Tires?

Ordered a set of Continental Extreme Contact Sport for the front. This will match same type of tires put in the back about a year ago. I am in Florida so obvious choice was to get Summer tires (the ones I got are Max Performance Summer).

I stumbles across this video comparing the two types of tires (tyres). Video shows that winter tires outperform summer tires in wet conditions. Is it the better choice to use winter tires all year round in all climates. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    NO, tire compounds are formulated to perform within a specific range of temperatures.
    Winter tires will never outperform a summer or all-season tire at summer temperatures.
    Do some research on tire compounds and read several articles on the subject, and attempt to verify,
    as Utube videos can contain misinformation.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    If you ran winter tires in FL, you would burn them out before you knew it. Winter tire compounds are made for freezing temperatures, so at 110*F road temperatures down here, you would be ordering new tires every few months. If you get good summer tires that have a compound that works well in the wet, you will get great traction in the rain. Read the ratings on TireRack. Yes, it is random people's opinions, but there are usually so many ratings for each tire, that statistically, you get a good idea for which one performs better in dry and wet. I just put Firestone Indy Firehawks on the front of my car. They feel great and are nice and quiet. I have the older version of the Conti's you got on the back. They are great tires. Stick like glue in the dry and work great in the wet.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    If you ran winter tires in FL, you would burn them out before you knew it. Winter tire compounds are made for freezing temperatures, so at 110*F road temperatures down here, you would be ordering new tires every few months. If you get good summer tires that have a compound that works well in the wet, you will get great traction in the rain. Read the ratings on TireRack. Yes, it is random people's opinions, but there are usually so many ratings for each tire, that statistically, you get a good idea for which one performs better in dry and wet. I just put Firestone Indy Firehawks on the front of my car. They feel great and are nice and quiet. I have the older version of the Conti's you got on the back. They are great tires. Stick like glue in the dry and work great in the wet.
    I was looking at the Firestone Indy. They were a little cheaper in price than the Conti's. Decided to match the front with the same type rear tires. Why did you get the Indy's in front and Conti's in the back?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    My Conti's on the rear are older and no longer made apparently. The new model is the ExtremeContact Sport. Plus the Indy's on the front were like $126 per tire. I put 2 on the front of my car and 2 on the front of the 540. I got $100 back for buying 4 tires. Great deal.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by srq View Post
    Is it the better choice to use winter tires all year round in all climates. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI
    Yes...I can only conclude that you really needed to REWATCH the video before posting. (LOL)

The context and concept of the video was totally missed based on the question in your quote. The first 45 seconds...and then again approx 2:45 - 3:00 minutes into the video...the fact they were near the Arctic circle and explained the compound of winter tires are geared toward colder ambient temperatures...then right befor 3 minutes into the video...it again mentions that winter tires perform better in the wet at cold temperatures (given in Celsius) and the time frame of October - March (in Britain)...which again indicates COLD temperatures. A Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion calculator can be found within 5 seconds in a google search.

Sorry if it comes across like I'm "busting your b a l l s"....but I just wondered how you missed all the information in the video that indicated winter tires virtues come from the compound they're made of and that their advantage is in cold temps (45° F and below). Definitely not intended for use in parts of the world like southern Florida.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)