Thread: Well, what do you know...looky what we have here...

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Well, what do you know...looky what we have here...

I am working on small car related projects on my recently acquired 2001 M roadster. Trying to get the car ready for new season. Pulled out the glove compartment to repair the sag. And guess what I found? No, not a rolled up swad of $100 bills. I got this car with a single key and previous owner #4 claimed that he never had 2nd key or remotes for keyless entry, yet the car has alarm led and mic installed in the dash. Back to my find- BMW keyless entry receiver installed! So, this brings up a question. What keyfob will this work with and how do I program it? Can I use regular OBD2 connected computer, or do I need something special that I can only get done at the dealer? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Subaru alarm fobs should work with it, but you need the operator's manual to get the song and dance sequence right to align them.
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 11-18-2017 at 09:10 PM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Randy is the expert in all things Z3. I however, could not get the Subaru key fob to link despite all the frequencies and ID numbers matching the BMW key fob. I bought a used one off of eBay and it linked the first time without issue. When I searched the forum, I found out I was not alone. Too bad. You can pick those up new for cheap. The used BMW are $$$. If you get the Subaru to work, let us know how. A lot of us would be very excited.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

mherington is offline Passing Gas... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    My under-caffeinated brain isn’t understanding... how is this different than remote lock/unlock system with a fob?

M.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by mherington View Post
    My under-caffeinated brain isn’t understanding... how is this different than remote lock/unlock system with a fob?

M.
    Its not, he just didnt get the keyfob with the car so wanted to know which one to buy and how to sync it

mherington is offline Passing Gas... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Its not, he just didnt get the keyfob with the car so wanted to know which one to buy and how to sync it
    Ahhh, got it. Is this the learning procedure?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...rm-Install.htm

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Maybe I'm missing something, being new to BMWs. I've bought 3 of the Amazon keyless entry systems, (receiver and 2 fobs) for $17 each. Why would someone spend big bucks for the BMW fob when these work perfectly? Here is the address: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ..

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, being new to BMWs. I've bought 3 of the Amazon keyless entry systems, (receiver and 2 fobs) for $17 each. Why would someone spend big bucks for the BMW fob when these work perfectly? Here is the address: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ..
    BMW receiver is already there. I just need a key with transmitter on it. There are bunch of inexpensive options on Amazon or eBay. I just need to cut the key. I know some offer that with the sale of their key. I think it requires sending key in. I may as well walk over to my dealer and get the key precut to my vin for $60.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I don't think you can get a key with built in remote. The fobs are separate. Keys you get from the dealer precut and chipped for your car

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    I don't think you can get a key with built in remote. The fobs are separate. Keys you get from the dealer precut and chipped for your car
    True. At least the 2001/2 M Roadsters have separate key and fob.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I paid about $80 for a BMW key for my wife's 94 325i, with no remote in it. Having a separate remote fob is no problem. I just operate it when I reach in my pocket for my key.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    I paid about $80 for a BMW key for my wife's 94 325i, with no remote in it. Having a separate remote fob is no problem. I just operate it when I reach in my pocket for my key.
    I see bunch of BMW keys that seem to match the design of mine. Some with remote and others without. There is a thread with people successfully programming the keyfobs without much effort, just following some steps. See this.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/#/topics/436963

I will try few keys from Amazon and maybe one from the dealer if Amazon keys won't work and report back here.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    They keys from amazon will not work. Keep on looking through ebay, good ones come up here and there, for very decent prices. My last couple of them were under $40 and still had the BMW paint on them.

I prefer the factory alarm/keyless entry because it works so well together with the general body module, plugs right in to pre-wired harness, and it double locks the doors properly. It also disarms when a key is recognized by the ews system.
    I pulled an amazon/ebay special out of my coupe because it was so ghetto. You could lock the doors, and simply unlock them by pulling the handle. If you lock the doors with the BMW alarm system (say in convertible top down), the doors will not open even from the inside.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 11-19-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    The keys for our cars that have a roundel button are lighted keys only. The fob part # is 82 11 1 469 448

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    I pulled an amazon/ebay special out of my coupe because it was so ghetto. You could lock the doors, and simply unlock them by pulling the handle. If you lock the doors with the BMW alarm system (say in convertible top down), the doors will not open even from the inside.
    I just checked this out, with my $17 Amazon system, and it's true. I can unlock the doors using the door handle, so I could not leave the top down and depend on the locks to keep people from opening the doors. I never do that, but still it's a disadvantage.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    So, you are telling me that this will not work? Supposedly comes with electronics and batteries.
    https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...tch-key-x2.htm

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    This probably works:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-A269ZUA...-/281813213767

I'm in the same boat: just bought the module and searching for reasonably priced remotes. I picked up the Amazon system too but didn't like the idea of splicing a bunch of wires and not even having OEM functionality.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    So, you are telling me that this will not work? Supposedly comes with electronics and batteries.
    https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...tch-key-x2.htm
    Correct, those do NOT work on Z3's

You can have a light on your key though. But no Z3 keys had the fob built into the key and none of those keys will work on a Z3

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    Randy is the expert in all things Z3. I however, could not get the Subaru key fob to link despite all the frequencies and ID numbers matching the BMW key fob. I bought a used one off of eBay and it linked the first time without issue. When I searched the forum, I found out I was not alone. Too bad. You can pick those up new for cheap. The used BMW are $$$. If you get the Subaru to work, let us know how. A lot of us would be very excited.
    I cannot say that I ever used one, but Yark BMW (Toledo) also had a Subaru dealership across the street, and I was told by them that they had substituted one before. It's unlike them to have given me wrong information (compared to the overall dealership experience by most reports on here...) but I suppose it can happen.

I will no longer recommend the Subaru fob, unless you need a battery, case or button replacement!

Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    True. At least the 2001/2 M Roadsters have separate key and fob.
    Same here! My '99 and '01 both came with the same four (4) key package; a lighted master key, a plain master (both black), a gray valet key (doesn't unlcock glovebox or trunk & presumably the coupe's hatch) and a plastic temporary use / emergency key.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Correct, those do NOT work on Z3's

You can have a light on your key though. But no Z3 keys had the fob built into the key and none of those keys will work on a Z3
    Actually, it has been my experience that it is only the Ms that have fobless keys; all the Z3s that I can remember have the alarm/remote locking functions built into their keys.

So I guess that remote locking was standard on Z3s, at least the later__fitted with roll-hoops__cars that I've worked on, and all the M versions required a dealer-installed alarm package, as seen in the first post, to get a remote door locking/alarm arming feature.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    My convertible 2.5 has the factory lock/unlock buttons on the key. The M Coupe has the separate key/fob setup. I never thought about the differences until now. I just thought it was a 99 compared to an 02 difference.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    z3
    That is (exciting!) news to me... I've never seen a Z3 with a key/fob combo. If some non-M Z3's came like that, no reason it can't be adapted to an M, right?

Is it the diamond style E39 key they came with?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    bmwkey.jpg Mine looks like this. 2001 Z3 3.0.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    I would like to add to this thread that if you buy a used oem Bmw keyless entry fob off of ebay you can replace the shell/case and buttons on the fob with a Bmw/Subaru new replacement case for like $15 on ebay as well. When I bought my fob, I purchased a cheaper scratched up one knowing that I would be able to do so and it worked perfectly fine.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I just don't lock my car--problem solved.