Thread: Keys and EWS - clarification

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5

Keys and EWS - clarification

It has always been my understanding that EWS and EWS II use an RFID tag in the key, these RFID codes being unique. Thus, unless a key's code was in the EWS' memory, the car would crank but not start.

Imagine my surprise when I ordered new keys from the dealer for one of my 7s and they handed me three keys - which ALL worked WITHOUT doing anything related to EWS.

I see three possibilities:

1) if EWS works in E38s - and I believe it does - then dealers must have a database of RFID codes for the keys that left the factory and, when you order a 'new' key, they simply program the RFID transmitter for the new key to match one of the old ones. This is a very bad idea if you are not in possession of the other keys.

2) Still with the hypothesis of EWS working, they could read the RFID code from the working key you give them and clone it to the other keys. This is a very bad idea because it means that if you lose one, you have to chuck all of them - and I mean physically destroy them, or have someone wipe the EWS memory, read the code in the existing keys and program new keys to a DIFFERENT code.

3) EWS doesn't actually work - which I know not to be the case.

So which of the bad ideas is it? Or am I missing something? In either case, it is undeniable that the entire premise for EWS is being rather cavalierly made irrelevant.

For reference though, I got new plastic/valet keys for $49 each and a new 'diamond' remote for $169, with BMW CCA discount. Unfortunately the first two are the same as they were from the factory but the new diamond keys are NOT the same, they look like the clones that are being made today. It makes sense, the old keys had the grey lettering that got rubbed off quickly, but... it doesn't look right. Not that my SO really cares.

My Cars
    Too many
    When new BMWs are shipped from the factory they are sent with a group of keys, all programmed to the corresponding vehicle. When the vehicle is delivered to the first owner it comes with some of the keys but not all. BMW NA retains the remaining keys (I believe eight), and will send them out as they are ordered by the original and subsequent owners. That's how you're able to get them so quickly when you order them., and that why they will start your car right away

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Your #1 is closest.
    The EWS memory has slots for 10 keys. The car only came with 4 keys from the factory.
    BMW keeps a database of what 10 RFID codes will work with your EWS (or otherwise has some way to code a chip that will work in the next unused slot).
    AFAIK they don't have a huge warehouse of premade keys, they just make them to order in NJ (as confirmed by your getting a different remote key).

Dealer software can also deactivate old (lost) keys from your EWS for extra security.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    Oh, so the EWS is *preprogrammed* with 10 codes, 4 are used at the factory and 6 are not empty but extant. Thus, BMW was able to go to their database, get three of the six that are ununsed but in the EWS already, and use those.

Is this correct? I was previously under the impression that the EWS had ten slots but the ones not in use were empty.

And yes, I would tend to concur that it would make no sense for BMW to have a warehouse full of keys - plus, as you pointed out, in that case I would have gotten an old style remote 'diamond' key, as it was when these were new.

Thank you folks.
    Last edited by nmlss2006; 11-18-2017 at 09:07 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    If BMW receives an order for a key why can’t they program that new key to one of the two (or three?) originally issued RFI codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 740iL

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    If BMW receives an order for a key why can’t they program that new key to one of the two (or three?) originally issued RFI codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because if the need for a new key is because the old one was stolen or lost...if the same key code was programmed into a new key...then that means the stolen key could not be deactivated without making the new key not work as well. This would give the thief unfettered access to come back at anytime and drive off with the vehicle.

FYI: Info about 1st EWS intialization at the factory

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-19-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)