Thread: Any easy way to get to nut on inner ball joint?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp

Any easy way to get to nut on inner ball joint?

I've got the old control arm and ball joints out... and other than getting access to the nut on top of the inner ball joint (passenger side), went pretty straight forward... but after the fact: is there some double secret, only the insiders know, way to easily remove the nut on the top of that inner ball joint?... doesn't look like one can access it from above... I was able to get access, one 1/16 of a turn at a time with a combination wrench from the front, from below, over the swap bar, ... but is there a better way?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I seem to remember removing the ground wire and using a long extension and a swivel joint from the top.

My Cars
    99 M3
    I’ve always attacked it the way you went, laborious 1/16 turn at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    z3
    I've been able to get to them from the top with some creative uses of universal joints (I think I needed one right on the 22mm, and one 6-12" up from there? I used enough extensions to ratchet it from above the engine)

I can get them from the bottom too, but very tedious. Try to get it from the top...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I've been able to get to them from the top with some creative uses of universal joints (I think I needed one right on the 22mm, and one 6-12" up from there? I used enough extensions to ratchet it from above the engine)

I can get them from the bottom too, but very tedious. Try to get it from the top...
    ? All the ones I remove/replace have been 21mm...

Since I'm usually standing up under the car when I remove them, my practice is to break them loose with a standard 3/8" drive 6-pt socket on a flex-head ratchet. The flex-head allows the handle to pivot up or down through the swing to clear obstacles. Once loose, I often resort to a purposely shortened 21mm open-end wrench to speed up the removal process.

What I find to be a problem, is to get the taper to release without damaging to the rubber gaiter__if you're removing the LCA to replace it with a new one, then no problem; beat away on it with a pickle-fork__because I'm most often just taking out one side or the other, so I can swing the entire XMBR out of the way for access to the bottom end of the engine...

... sometimes more

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Access from the top very much depends on which engine you have.

What tooling are you guys using to get a 1/16th turn at a time?

/.randy

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Access from the top very much depends on which engine you have.

What tooling are you guys using to get a 1/16th turn at a time?
    I used a box wrench to break it loose... and then an open end wrench, and flipping it over for each increment... and I suspect the 1/16th should have been "1/16", ie, maybe it's 1/12th of a turn - don't remember my open end wrench offset angles... ... but since I'll need to put a few miles on these and then check that they're still torqued - I'll see if with the appropriate combination of extensions, I can't do that from the top. This is for a M52TUB25.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    ? All the ones I remove/replace have been 21mm...

Since I'm usually standing up under the car when I remove them, my practice is to break them loose with a standard 3/8" drive 6-pt socket on a flex-head ratchet. The flex-head allows the handle to pivot up or down through the swing to clear obstacles. Once loose, I often resort to a purposely shortened 21mm open-end wrench to speed up the removal process.

What I find to be a problem, is to get the taper to release without damaging to the rubber gaiter__if you're removing the LCA to replace it with a new one, then no problem; beat away on it with a pickle-fork__because I'm most often just taking out one side or the other, so I can swing the entire XMBR out of the way for access to the bottom end of the engine...

... sometimes more
    I like the idea of the flex head wrench... 'cause yes, that would allow one to move up and over the obstructions.. :-) will have to look into that.... do have some extra short pattern combination wrenches, but the largest is 19 :-(

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Did you get bit by the forum software again? :-(