Thread: almost answered- but not quite- intake hose repair Q

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3

almost answered- but not quite- intake hose repair Q

About 3 weeks ago I replaced my upper and lower intake hoses. The lower one was oxidized and the little bellows-extension had several
    open cuts around the bellows about half the circumference. It immediately ran quite a bit better right away. Also my lean codes
    and fuel trim error codes went away. (yes!)

A few days ago someone else asked about air leaks in the intake hoses..... there was some mention of taking a tool and "erasing"
    how the computer has "learned" to control the fuel. Is this something I need to do so it can re-learn again now that the big leaks are gone ?
    I have had the car about 9 months and have not ever re-set anything like that. Could it be using what it "learned" before I got it and
    before it ever had a leak ???? (and it wouldnt need adjustment-)

I tried to look at the fuel trims but I couldnt remember where they were in the menu on the schwabben tool. Have to read the manual
    when i get some time .....

Tim

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    No. You did just fine. There is a lot of myth out there, "waiting for the computer to adapt" is one of them.

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    THANKS RF !
    It seems to run like a well oiled sewing machine now ! I still have a few oil seeps yet which make a nasty hot oil smell. One I know is the
    valve cover gasket. got a new one but havnt put it on yet. (waiting for another excuse to dig down that far-)
    Is there a "usual" way to de-oil the motor to see where your seeps are ? Like on a lift and steam clean ? Someone suggested a pressure
    washer--- but I think that would be far too likely to force water in somewhere really bad and create a time bomb.

RTW--- I love your avatar (they never made cartoons better than looney toons after that time)---- except maybe Ren and Stimpey-

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
    Is there a "usual" way to de-oil the motor to see where your seeps are ? Like on a lift and steam clean ? Someone suggested a pressure
    washer--- but I think that would be far too likely to force water in somewhere really bad and create a time bomb.
    I use brake parts cleaner, placing cardboard sheets under the car (on a lift) and spraying it judiciously until the oil is washed off. I try and keep it away from rubber parts and off the paint, of course. I use compressed air to dry it off in a flash. It works very well. I would not hose down a modern car 's engine compartment with water myself.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Brake cleaner, carb cleaner. Mineral spirits on metal surfaces.

Also the heavy duty and foaming Gunk cleaners work well for me.