Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No phone speaker audio after bluetooth upgrade?

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    It looks like you are correct: no SES module in your car. What's your build date? It must be an early '01 model to not have SES.

In this case, you would check "Enable voice recognition" during TCU programming. Then, your TCU will act like Siri, controlling phone voice inputs (but no nav or notebook control). Be sure you get voice responses from your new TCU, since the only way to control system volume is by voice command, as opposed to phone volume. I found radio volume does nothing during a call.

Do you have DSP sound?
    It's a 2000/3 build, but model year shows 2001 everywhere, came with DSP though.
    I had no idea that the TCUs have voice recognition, will definitely enable it with the next one. Could be a good way testing if sound output gets to the speakers without using a phone!

Thanks!

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Yeah that's the jumper installed in your car in that picture, so that shouldn't be the issue. Was hoping it was maybe just that simple...
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Got the new module, has the same symptom (no speaker audio, but pairing via BT and stops music when you start a call).
    Tried to code it with BMW Scanner but it didnt make any difference.
    Any way to avoid using Navcoder? Seems like it needs an i-bus interface what requires removing CD Changer and Navigation plus buying an I-bus cable according to Frankie: http://www.frankies-bmw.com/7series/...s_navcoder.php
    How do they do same at a dealership?
    Anybody succeeded with this upgrade without Navcoder?

Thanks

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Could it be that I need the "Bluetooth eject kit" from here: https://store.bimmernav.com/blogs/in...e-7-series-e38
    This is obviously an ULF installation, maybe I should get an ULF module and try that as well. They should be cheap these days.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I do not think the coding for voice recognition is causing your no audio problem. Especially since you don't have an SES module installed, and instead have the jumper.

2 things:

Because the car already had the old phone in place and you removed the stuff in the center console, follow the previous suggestions about researching jumping the proper leads in the center console. Sometimes, if they are not jumpered, I believe audio will not travel back to the rear. I did not have to do this in my car, but I have a '98 and I didn't already have phone stuff installed, just prewired.

Second, you need to make sure that there is I-bus going to the TCU. The printer port style plug that gets the 54 pin adapter for the TCU is usually missing a pin at (I think) 22 or 25. Verify this pin number online and check to see if it is present in your current "printer port" plug. If it is NOT present, you must add it. Without it, the TCU is not on i-bus and not communicating with the rest of the modules.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    I do not think the coding for voice recognition is causing your no audio problem. Especially since you don't have an SES module installed, and instead have the jumper.

2 things:

Because the car already had the old phone in place and you removed the stuff in the center console, follow the previous suggestions about researching jumping the proper leads in the center console. Sometimes, if they are not jumpered, I believe audio will not travel back to the rear. I did not have to do this in my car, but I have a '98 and I didn't already have phone stuff installed, just prewired.

Second, you need to make sure that there is I-bus going to the TCU. The printer port style plug that gets the 54 pin adapter for the TCU is usually missing a pin at (I think) 22 or 25. Verify this pin number online and check to see if it is present in your current "printer port" plug. If it is NOT present, you must add it. Without it, the TCU is not on i-bus and not communicating with the rest of the modules.
    I definitely think that the center console could be causing the issue, exactly the way you described it. Will try that out.
    Not sure about missing I-Bus, I would think that if that was the case the radio wouldnt go mute when starting a call. I guess the TCU communicates with radio via I-Bus. Anyway it's worth checking. Thanks for the ideas, really appreciating it.

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    I guess any with I-Bus should work, plenty to choose from on Ebay. Will try my luck with a new one.
    Nope, that is not the case. If you don't have one of the known working on the list that was attached, that is more than likely your issue. I know when I first installed a TCU into my '01 I bought it on eBay and got one that was for ibus with a Bluetooth symbol and had the exact same problem installing and configuring that you are having. Would connect, mute the music and then nothing through the speakers.

Hopefully, that is your issue. Another good reference is http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1104016
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    As I stated earlier, I had this same issue after I updated my 01 with SES to a TCU with built in SES. I installed the SES jumper in the trunk and did not have sound out of the speakers, everything else work perfectly. I had to jump two wires in the connector in the armrest after removing the StarTac phone. I wish that I could find the write-up that I used, but I cannot although I know its out there somewhere.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris33 View Post
    As I stated earlier, I had this same issue after I updated my 01 with SES to a TCU with built in SES. I installed the SES jumper in the trunk and did not have sound out of the speakers, everything else work perfectly. I had to jump two wires in the connector in the armrest after removing the StarTac phone. I wish that I could find the write-up that I used, but I cannot although I know its out there somewhere.
    This is the most likely issue in my case, found this write-up, need to check if applies: http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/N..._vr_into_a.htm

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by 740iSport303 View Post
    Nope, that is not the case. If you don't have one of the known working on the list that was attached, that is more than likely your issue. I know when I first installed a TCU into my '01 I bought it on eBay and got one that was for ibus with a Bluetooth symbol and had the exact same problem installing and configuring that you are having. Would connect, mute the music and then nothing through the speakers.

Hopefully, that is your issue. Another good reference is http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1104016
    I have been trying out ones from the previously linked lists, on my third module right now, all producing the same issue.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    George,

I think I found the answer:

According to two threads on M5Board.com, for cars with an SES jumper (no SES module), you need to jumper pins 11 and 14 on the phone connector in the armrest.

See No BT audio 1 and No BT audio 2.

Extra stuff:

Thread #1 quotes old tips from BimmerNav Troubleshooting. What BimmerNav currently says is this:

2) If the mic and speaker DO NOT work, the issue is most likely the SES jumper plug. Ensure that you have one installed in your 08/00 build date or higher...
    3) If the mic works but the speakers do not it is possible that the issue is the Telephone ON circuit. Telephone ON in cars built prior to 03/02 is in the eject box. Ensure that you have a jumper wire located between pins 11 and 14....
    Point #2 does not apply to you, but point #3 does. However, I think this pertains to ULF installations (which requires SES removal), not TCU. Why? Because that definitely does NOT apply to my car, which has both SES and a TCU. As you can see from this picture, I do not have any sort of jumper in the armrest phone connector and I have no such problems:

IMG_6084.jpg

Perhaps ULF and TCU installations in cars without SES is similar. Going further, it looks like you could install an SES module (ex: from eBay) and use a TCU without jumpering pins 11/14. This may enable voice control of nav and notebook as well, if you so desired.

Otherwise, just try the jumper trick above.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    George,

According to two threads on M5Board.com, for cars with an SES jumper (no SES module), you need to jumper pins 11 and 14 on the phone connector in the armrest.

Extra stuff:

Thread #1 quotes old tips from BimmerNav Troubleshooting. What BimmerNav currently says is this:

Point #2 does not apply to you, but point #3 does. However, I think this pertains to ULF installations (which requires SES removal), not TCU. Why? Because that definitely does NOT apply to my car, which has both SES and a TCU. As you can see from this picture, I do not have any sort of jumper in the armrest phone connector and I have no such problems:

IMG_6084.jpg

Perhaps ULF and TCU installations in cars without SES is similar. Going further, it looks like you could install an SES module (ex: from eBay) and use a TCU without jumpering pins 11/14. This may enable voice control of nav and notebook as well, if you so desired.

Bingo!

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    George,

Extra stuff:

IMG_6084.jpg

Wow! Frankie, you are the best! if ever in the Philly area I'd be more than happy to buy you a lunch...and let you work on my car for a few hours Just kidding, but serious on lunch. Definitely trying this out.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    WORKING!!!

Jumpering 11 & 14 in the armrest was the solution. Thank you guys for all of you for the great help, could have never figured it out on my own. What a great forum!

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    by the way, this was the module: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=84116946993
    with 2004/10 manufacturing date

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    WORKING!!!
    Fantastic!

I have updated my DIY accordingly: Factory Bluetooth Retrofit

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Fantastic!

I have updated my DIY accordingly: Factory Bluetooth Retrofit
    By the way, I have used this BT antenna instead of the factory one. Coming from China so you need to wait 2-3 weeks for it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-W...72.m2749.l2649

Very happy with it, cost a third and included the cable with a fitting connector.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Some feedback after a few months of use, though everything is working the sound quality sucks. The other party sounds like an old AM radio, hard to understand.
    Anybody knows what is the latest BT module product number for our cars? Trying to get that module on Ebay, maybe it will work better.
    Found this list on Frankie's website: http://www.frankies-bmw.com/7series/...artNumbers.pdf
    According to the list 84109181864 is the latest one, has anybody tried that one?

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    ...the sound quality sucks.
    I know cars without DSP sound require a supplemental amp, but I think yours has DSP, right? Either way, I believe phone audio is mono, and comes from the front speakers only.

...84109181864 is the latest one..
    Actually, 84109195455 is the current TCU part number. List $757. Online dealers have 'em for about $625.

I'll be looking for a replacement soon too. Why? After using my TCU for about two years, it has suddenly stopped working. It pairs fine but then locks-up the audio system (freezes) and the caller cannot be heard. Afterwards, no audio source can be heard, not even the radio/CD or voice control prompt. I'm sure this is a failure of the TCU's internal electronics (not engaging car audio correctly).

I have unplugged the TCU for now and will be shopping for a new(er) unit. I prefer the current p/n but I think they're still about $500 on eBay.
    Last edited by Frankie; 09-04-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: correction

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    I know cars without DSP sound require a supplemental amp, but I think yours has DSP, right? Either way, I believe phone audio is mono, and comes from the front speakers only.

Actually, 84109195455 is the current TCU part number. List $757. Online dealers have 'em for about $625.

I'll be looking for a replacement soon too. Why? After using my TCU for about two years, it has suddenly stopped working. It pairs fine but then locks-up the audio system (freezes) and the caller cannot be heard. Afterwards, no audio source can be heard, not even the radio/CD or voice control prompt. I'm sure this is a failure of the TCU's internal electronics (not engaging car audio correctly).

I have unplugged the TCU for now and will be shopping for a new(er) unit. I prefer the current p/n but I think they're still about $500 on eBay.
    Yes, I have DSP. Paid something like $50 for my current BT module , so cant really complain Will look for this updated version, thanks!
    Last edited by georgebest; 09-04-2018 at 07:31 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT

Follow-Up

..After using my TCU for about two years, it has suddenly stopped working. It pairs fine but then locks-up the audio system...
    Replaced my previous TCU (software version 29) with newer (software version 37) and got noticeable improvements. Phone and address book pairing are immediate, and nav screens respond quickly. So far, very pleased. I now recommend SW versions above 29.

Previous:
    tcu_label_old.jpg

Replacement:
    tcu_label_new.jpg

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Thanks Frankie, I will try to find one on Ebay.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Found finally a good module on Ebay (upper is the new one):
    DSC07167.jpg

Part number: 84106965056
    It has HW version 42, compared to the old one's V35.
    The difference is day and night! Finally:
    - crystal clear audio using factory mic and speaker
    - no more jumping to the phone menu for no reason
    - no more showing "Activate phone" and other nonsense
    - it even has voice control somehow, I didnt know that was possible.
    Best $50 I spent on Ebay, what a difference.
    It's still not the latest module though, I think that would be 84109187318.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Yep, those newer TCUs really make a difference.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12