Thread: Ubwind safety belt.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp

Ubwind safety belt.

Not sure how to explain problem. I removed safety belt from passenger side when redid trim and most of the belt got rolled onto the spool. Now I can't loosen it out of the spool.

Any tricks to "unlock" belt?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I've had this happen about three times, all of which were fixed by taking apart the ball-bearing "inertia switch" (in the plastic housing on one side of the reel) and putting it back together. Disassemble very carefully so the clock spring doesn't explode, or you'll... have something to do by the campfire for an evening

My Cars
    '87 325is, '91 525i,
    When I had my Touring apart for some interior work, I had this happen. After examining the reel assembly, I noticed a small slot on the side near the spool housing. There's small plastic slider type thing that i was able to move with a pick or a small screwdriver. It took some trial and error - using one hand to work the 'slider' and the other to move the spool/belt - but eventually I was able to get mine unwound to reattach to the car. I don't know if I just got lucky with mine but its worth a shot before you go and take it all apart.

-Geno

'87 325is s52 swapped
    '95 525iT Das Wagen
    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '98 Discovery LSE Mud Rat

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Ok, I watched some videos on youtube to see how it works. At the end I put assembly in a vise vertical (this is important!!). I took black plastic cover out, but this cover is only covering swinging thing that touches belt. I didn't assemble place where there is ratcheting mechanism.

So, I was holding this "thing" with vise grips to make sure it doesn't touch belt. Then I just shaked belt up/down and it got free. Main thing is to have it vertical. When you shake belt up/down this ball inside eventually frees up and let it go.

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    Got other ideas? Upon dis-assembly, my seat belt reel does not appear to have any slot, slider, or other item which resembles the linked discussion above. This is an '89 E34.

YouTube videos are little to no help.

I removed the black plastic cover over the ball bearing thingy and disengaging its ratchet: The belt can be unreeled somewhat, but then simply recoils and sticks fully retracted as it did when it failed.