Thread: Clutch install mishap or crappy parts?

My Cars
    M3

Clutch install mishap or crappy parts?

Installed 325 clutch in a 328is with zf trans. I got a new slave cylinder from advanced autocraft brand for a 328.. I'm bleeding the thing and the slave blows up on the inside of the bell housing. I start the car in neutral and it doesn't take off so I know the clutch disk is right. I'm torn between the tob being 90 degrees off or just the new slave being crap.

The only thing I can give for a clue, is that the pivot arm isn't stiff. It has a little wiggle in it. Is it supposed to be stiff without a installed slave and I have the throw put bearing off by 90?
    Z's are for old men too afraid to drive fast anyway.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    There's a fair chance that the slave was just bad, no surprise with Advanced/O'Reillys/PepBoys parts (not knocking them, I've used a bunch myself). Thankfully their return policies are pretty easy, so I'd try swapping it out for a new one and give it another shot.

It could be an issue with the TOB, maybe check it out with a borescope through the slave cylinder hole?

My Cars
    M3
    I just tried the replacement replacement slave. Did the same thing. I must have installed the throw out bearing wrong.

But a few double checks before I rip this thing apart again.
    Do 325 and 328 use the same throw out bearing and slave?

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by M3blitkrieg View Post
    But a few double checks before I rip this thing apart again.
    Do 325 and 328 use the same throw out bearing and slave?
    As far as I can tell, yes. This is the RealOEM page for the TOB part #, and it shows it used on a wide variety of models:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...471&series=E36

I'm not sure that the Getrag and ZF clutches are interchangeable. RealOEM shows a different part # for the clutch disk itself. What kit are you using?

My Cars
    1997 m3
    Exploded as in the rod came out of the slave? It’s known that if you install the salve wrong it will pop out when you press the clutch in. Guys have had good luck with just re inserting the rod and trying again.
    When you go to install the slave, there should be some pressure not too much pressure pushing back when you reinstall. If there’s to much pressure that means the rod isn’t in the dimple. Take it back out and try to center the rod as much as possible. Good luck!

My Cars
    M3
    I'm using a 325 flywheel, disc, pressure plate in a zf.
    The rod didn't come out. The inside rubber came out and filled like a balloon with fluid.

I must have installed the throw out bearing wrong or the pivot arm came off the pin. Guess its rip it apart again tomorrow or bust. Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Yea. If the throw out bearing is the wrong way, the arm hangs in the bell housing more and will feel loose. You can usually tell by sticking a finger in and being able to wiggle the arm around. Usually the tob will hold the arm stiff around the guide tube as apposed to hearing it rattle. I had a customer once that demanded the tob go in that way. Because the old one that was blown to pieces must have been positioned correctly even though, well... It was in pieces. Needless to say I made him take it apart and made him rotate the tob. Never understood why people who think they know everything and can do the better job always end up having someone else do it for lumps of money. Laziness or narssassism maybe,?

My Cars
    1997 318ti in progress
    Bet clutch plate is backwards ! guess how I know...
    Last edited by hogdacb750; 11-17-2017 at 08:37 PM.

My Cars
    M3
    !€*=!/*/:er!!!

My Cars
    M3
    The clutch disc was in right. The only way it will sit in without the bent tabs hitting the flywheel. The throw out bearing was in right. The pivot pin is good. The pivot arm is good. I just ripped it apart for nothing.

I'm on my 3rd autocraft brand slave cylinder Il be installing and attempting to bleed tomorrow. I have a feeling it won't go well.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318i
    Keep us posted, also, what did you say when returning the slave? I tried two myself and missed the first I believe. Right now I have mine installed and felt the pressure against the fork this time when installing, but believe I found issue is my hydraulic line is leaking and was the problem the whole time. Waiting for that to come in the mail.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M3
    The 3rd one worked perfect. I must have missed the arm with the first 2. I pulled it in and out about 5 times before I could tell that it was hitting the arm. Had to push it hard the entire way onto the studs then really pressure it to stay still while I fingered on a bolt to hold it. Maybe the first one I had right and actually had a bad new slave, but I think I missed on the second.

My Cars
    1997 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3blitkrieg View Post
    The 3rd one worked perfect. I must have missed the arm with the first 2. I pulled it in and out about 5 times before I could tell that it was hitting the arm. Had to push it hard the entire way onto the studs then really pressure it to stay still while I fingered on a bolt to hold it. Maybe the first one I had right and actually had a bad new slave, but I think I missed on the second.
    Glad you got it figured out!