Thread: Stock radio, nav., dsp gone

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss

Stock radio, nav., dsp gone

I'm sick of the outdated BMW crap and paying to have it repaired I've owned my 740 sport since 2002 and had the nav replaced twice ( mk3 gone and mk4 repaired twice ) had the widescreen repaired once and it's bad again. So I took it to a shop that did my 67 chew truck and a couple other cars though the years and said rip it out ( dsp all of it ). so I guess I won't have the dash functions any longer don't care. I will have steering wheel controls but no widescreen monitor and I don't care about that I usually use my iPhone for maps anyway. New 5 channel amp and all new speakers along with a subwoofer in the trunk no subwoofer in the rear shelve any longer just a simple radio / cd / Sirius / bluetooth set up . I looked into all the Chinese companies doesn't seem to good, I couldn't find one that had good reviews most of those are companies are in china and and theres no help if you have problems. I don't want more problems..............
    Last edited by setconstr; 11-17-2017 at 11:47 AM.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Take deep breaths!

What are they putting in for you? I have seen a lot of single and double din solutions that look pretty bad in the dash. At least the OEM widescreen and some of those chinese units look nice. Something like this looks pretty bad IMO (apologies if this guy is on here...
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    Just like I said it's all Chinese junk that you buy from China with no support in the USA and everyone who has them is stuck companies like seicane never even call back or if they do it can be months before they replace or respond to your problems thats why no stereo installers carry these things in stock in the USA , they don't want the grief ..........
    Last edited by setconstr; 11-17-2017 at 06:52 PM.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Curious to see what you end up with. Hopefully you will post up pictures!

I thought you were selling your car? Or was that someone else?
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    I was selling it but how can I sell it ? I've owned it sense nearly new I paid over forty Grand it was the most expensive car I ever purchased ( then ) and it was the sales Managers wive's car ( she didn't like it ) ..... I get it back tomorrow so I will post photos

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

As you already know, all the cheap chinese units are low quality units and the chances of issues/problems is high. There's not been a 'proper' E38 shaped unit either due to comparitively low demand.

All the premium high quality and recognised car audio brands won't make a unit for a car that's been out of production since 2001.

That all said, the 'best' choice is going to be this unit from Avin. It's still chinese made, but the retailer is in the US and has to comply with US selling regulations. It's also the most OEM looking of any aftermarket unit available - https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...on-system.html

You still need to be cautious, that's not 'True' Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. If it was, Google and Apple would have made announcements via press releases that they've partnered with an unknown Chinese brand and officially licenced their operating systems to be used on their units and, Avin's share price would have rocketed through the roof once they announced they were official Apple and Google partners. All of that of course, hasn't happened and the dongle is merely a screen mirroring unit, so whatever shows on your phone shows on the Avin's display. Full OBC and DSP support is claimed as well. This unit is due out next week, so once some owners purchase and install, it remains to be seen how good they turn out to be.

https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...on-system.html

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    Well I tried finding an address for Avinusa in the USA and could not find one and sense my stuff was dead and their unit was not out I went this way. I have steering wheel controls but I don't have some display options any longer , no clock , no date ( at least no way to set them ) the milage distance still works so were the only things I ever used anyway all the hidden functions still work. The pioneer works great replaced all the door speakers with focal somethings with crossovers ( whatever those are ) I had just put the monsoon speakers in the rear deck and somehow they sound Great so I'm happy ........P.S. I'm sending all the trim to Wuwraps asap also the little microphone I did when I had my Dice mediabrige so it doesn't function any longer and a replacement piece is on the way via Ebay

IMG_1938.jpgIMG_1935.jpg
    Last edited by setconstr; 11-19-2017 at 07:14 PM.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by setconstr View Post
    well I am not feeling the single deck radio, maybe a double din would look nicer.
    looks to empty that just my opinion.

I love the amp set up, it looks real clean set up.
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    Yea it's definitely not filling the void to well I think it will look better after Wu wraps does it all in carbon fiber. The good thing for me is it does everything I want sounds Awesome ! has a lot of app's like spotily, Sirius and pioneer has a radio app thats pretty cool I never wanted a big screen anyway and I use iPhone for nav. and Blue tooth my music ......
    Last edited by setconstr; 11-27-2017 at 01:03 PM.