Thread: My first 635CSI

My Cars
    e30 & e34

My first 635CSI

Always wanted a 635CSI, couldn't find a clean manual example that wasn't stupid expensive. Found a clean title 89 635CSI with clean enough exterior and interior to get it going.

Mechanically I have no idea what I am getting myself into, other than the M30B35 engine that I am very familiar with. It's a bit of a gamble with it being automatic, that's one thing I am really worrying about. Previous owner said REAR A/C works better than the front, will have to dig into it. Per PO - It was a runner until it "died" and then it was parked for about a year, I'll find out if there more fees that are due with DMV than what the seller told me and what the title shows.

Dropped it off at a local independent BMW/MB shop for inspection/diagnostics to see what I've gotten myself into LOL

Impulse buy, no clue what it will need other than what I am seeing

- battery
    - driver seat leather is worn
    - driver side inside door panel need to be fixed
    - inner driver side door lock handle
    - center console switch panel
    - rear speaker/parcel shelf
    - clear coat

Shop got it running after swapping in-tank fuel pump, and putting correct fuel pump relay in place. I got a new pump on order.

When the car did start with a new pump, it seemed to have issue with timing..no idea how that's possible since the crank position sensor is in fixed location?

I'll see what happens next, DMV fees ended up being 2x the amount PO said they were as he let the reg expire and bunch of late/fees were added.
    Last edited by 84318i; 11-16-2017 at 11:31 PM.
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    '92 325IC '88 635
    Quote Originally Posted by 84318i View Post
    Always wanted a 635CSI, couldn't find a clean manual example that wasn't stupid expensive. Found a clean title 89 635CSI with clean enough exterior and interior to get it going.

Mechanically I have no idea what I am getting myself into, other than the M30B35 engine that I am very familiar with. It's a bit of a gamble with it being automatic, that's one thing I am really worrying about. Previous owner said REAR A/C works better than the front, will have to dig into it. Per PO - It was a runner until it "died" and then it was parked for about a year, I'll find out if there more fees that are due with DMV than what the seller told me and what the title shows.

Dropped it off at a local independent BMW/MB shop for inspection/diagnostics to see what I've gotten myself into LOL

Impulse buy, no clue what it will need other than what I am seeing

- battery
    - driver seat leather is worn
    - driver side inside door panel need to be fixed
    - inner driver side door lock handle
    - center console switch panel
    - rear speaker/parcel shelf
    - clear coat

Shop got it running after swapping in-tank fuel pump, and putting correct fuel pump relay in place. I got a new pump on order.

When the car did start with a new pump, it seemed to have issue with timing..no idea how that's possible since the crank position sensor is in fixed location?

I'll see what happens next, DMV fees ended up being 2x the amount PO said they were as he let the reg expire and bunch of late/fees were added.
    You have a good base of a car to start a good restoration, especially a car from CA with no rust I presume.

All of your listed squawks are fixable and replacement parts are available. I'm surprised you said clear coat because I thought all of our cars had single stage paint. My 88 had original SS paint but over the years previous owners had resprayed sections with CC. Are you sure it's CC? Well I guess if you there is peeling then it is. Perhaps a respray had been done? This is a good car for an eventual 5sp conversion as it is very clean. All the interior things are simple replacements. The dealer still carries lots of interior pieces as do many other places online. My rear shelf has peeled leather in the exact same place in the middle. When I first got mine, the rear was better than the front too. Classic low Freon and or sticky front/rear regulator. There is a write-up here from a member Jeff Brown, (jeffcfp1) on how to take it apart and clean it or replace internal parts. Good luck. Nice color
    Last edited by carsnplanes; 11-17-2017 at 06:43 AM.
    '88 635, '92 325IC

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    Should have 2 crank sensors make sure the wires aren’t swapped, connectors on intake support rail that goes to the valve cover closer to firewall
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Are you sure about it having two crank sensors? B35s don't have the sensors on the trans housing and have just one on the front crank pulley wheel .

My Cars
    88 635csi, 12 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by 84318i View Post
    Are you sure about it having two crank sensors? B35s don't have the sensors on the trans housing and have just one on the front crank pulley wheel .
    There is just the toothed Wheel on the Crank in the front with one sensor. it's got motronic 1.3 so you're good with just the one on the front.

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinetik View Post
    There is just the toothed Wheel on the Crank in the front with one sensor. it's got motronic 1.3 so you're good with just the one on the front.
    Yep, thanks for confirming ! I had m30b35 5speed out of e34 in my 3 series some years back and don't remember it having two sensors.

And..... she starts and drives!

New fuel pump
    Intake boot
    FPR vacuum line
    Plugs
    Belts
    Main Relay
    Valve adjustment

Still need some more work, but at least she starts right up now and moves on it's own power. Shop owner said engine runs and sounds very healthy, which is a good start and trans shifts good as well.

Low beam headlights turn ON and stay on as long as the battery is connected, so need to figure that out perhaps PO put a wrong relay somewhere.,

PPI shows it needs pads/rotors/tires/exhaust hanger/coolant hoses/front control arms.
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone