Thread: Is it worth it to restore this E30?

My Cars
    2002 330i ZSP, 1997 M3

Is it worth it to restore this E30?

Hey guys I知 still new to the forum, so please bear with me.
    So my brother bought a 1988 325i convertible about a year ago for $600, it was in mint condition, interior and exterior were great, only issues were the top needing to be replaced and that it had an automatic transmission (yes I know, sad but hey it was $600)! He drove it around for a bit, then one day it overheated because the thermostat was sticking and the head gasket blew, so he parked in the garage and never went back to it.
    So it痴 been sitting for almost a year, collecting dust and some spider webs here and there, but he told me one day that he値l just give it to me for free if I壇 fix it. I was like heck, a FREE E30? Why not? So I agreed to fix it and daily it but now that I知 actually looking at the car, it doesn稚 seem to be in the best condition. First things first, head gasket needs to be replaced, then convertible top (expensive), then cooling system, some rust here and there, 270k on the clock, and it has a dreaded automatic. I知 not sure if I should take the burden of repairing this car, I was thinking of selling my 98 4Runner and using the money to fix her up, but I need a good daily, and I知 not so sure if this e30 would be the right one. If you guys have any opinions on what I should do please let me know. Thank you.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    This is a subjective question so I will give you a subjective answer - the term worth and value can mean different things to different people.

Financially - old cars like this can be a money pit - you will probably spend more money to fix it up than what you could buy a good clean example for. You can easily drop 3-4K in parts to get it to "good" condition - think tires, suspension, head gasket, top / interior and any other incidentals that come along. This is why this model is not easily "flipped" (buy low and sell high with little work). High end examples can command a price - but what you described is no where near that..

Emotionally - I love my E30s ( I have 3) - I spend 600-1500 annually in maintenance and repairs and wear items (like tires) and they are probably only worth 3-4K a piece.. The value I get is in keeping them running, the joy I get from driving them pass the new SUVs in the right lane and the thumbs up and conversations that go with it when people ask me about my ride. The cars I drive are a personal reflection of my personality (in some ways they are a fashion statement) - my dedication to keeping them running and my investment of time in them. This value is much higher than the market value.

Is it financially worth it to restore? No - You'd be hard pressed to find many that would suggest otherwise (and if they did - do a little research yourself first).

Is it worth your time to restore? That question can only be answered by you - and what you want from it.

My Cars
    BMW
    I will never say restoring an E30 is a bad idea!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbオouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    If you have time, space, knowledge and budget; I'd vote to do it.
    You could consider throwing in a newer engine together with manual gearbox. Not sure of your local laws and restrictions though.
    Can you own another car next to it for the time being? That way you can keep it fun and won't have to hurry.
    I wouldn't do it if I just quickly needed a dd.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Check your local bmw cca, you can usually get some sort of BMW parts discount and it's only about $40 to join. I get 10% over cost, very good deal. Good for those BMW OE only parts.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    First thing is to fix head gasket, then you will know if motor is OK. Also do timing belt, water pump and tensioner.
    Not too much money. Nothing wrong with auto transmission - seems like most convertibles have them and can last a long time. There is no cool factor like a E30 325i convertible! Top is probably like $1000+. What's wrong with current top? You have to be able to do your own work mechanically or the cost will eat you up. I don't think you can rely on any 30 year old car as a daily driver unless it's a 1966 MOPAR.

My Cars
    1990 e30 Vert, 2009 Pcar
    Don't forget that sticky Thermostat. Nothing like an e30 Vert.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    keep the forerunner as a daily or put one of the others you have into more use, then pick at fixing the vert-e-30 as budget and time allows. you won't regret it. they are a great car to work on from a shade tree diy mechanic pov, and very rewarding.

plus see what i did there ? , i gave it a stupid cute name, now you have to keep it..

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Restore or not comes down to the condition of the sheet metal. If the metal is in good shape, then it's a good candidate for a restore. Then you need to start looking at budget, etc. My recommendation would be to source a running manual transmission car in crappy shape and do the engine tranny swap.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    my 88 convertible is a my daily....one of the best, or maybe the best car i have ever owned. Super reliable and i love having the auto, especially here in s.california. Even if you have to invest some money, i believe you wont regret it. Just a great car.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    I would not sell the 4runner until AFTER the e30 is up and running reliably. An e30 vert in CA sounds like a dream come true and an auto doesn't sound terrible for all the traffic.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    325 1987
    I have been owning my E30 for a little over 2 years. I have spent quite some money on it but boy I do get a kick out of it every issue I solve and every time I drive it.

If you are looking for a practical solution for your daily driving needs I vote NO. If you have passion and will to learn I def vote YES. It's a hell of a car.